Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynchnik

Help with blue cabinets

lynchnik
9 years ago

Hello Folks!

We are painting our 1980's oak cabinets -- hooray! This is an LA beach house, so we are looking for funky color and want to do a bright turquoise blue or light blue lower with white upper cabinets. Does anyone have suggestions for a good turquoise/ blue color? I see lots of inspiration pictures but they don't have color names on them.

I'd love to hear if anyone has a suggestion for a blue that would work.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• lynchnik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another angle for a closer loos at these beauties... ;-)

• teacats
    9 years ago

How about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Galapagos Turquoise 2057-20

• rafor
    9 years ago

Shades of the 1950's!! My parents built a MCM house in 1955 and the kitchen cabinets were turquoise and so were the dinner dishes :) We had 2 sets: 1 plastic and the other china. Such a flashback :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ben Moore Bermuda Teal and Bermuda Turquoise are both great colors.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Turquoise so the cabinets are not so serious!

• Mike121
    9 years ago

If you could rely on my color judging skills it would say to go for teal colored accessories. If you could find an ivory teal mix then it would be the best of all.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I found a color that was a soothing yet rich aqua called tranquil aqua by Sherwin Williams. I would paint the top cabs a white or creamy white.

here is a design seed.

You can do a search in goole to see the color.

How fun to paint

• lynchnik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi -- So after your feedback and my own inspiration, we decided to go with SW Belize 6945 lowers and the island and SW Topsail 6217 for the uppers. However, when I told my contractor, he said (in a nice way) that we were nuts. He didn't want us to do something that we would regret. This house is a vacation rental, so we do care about the pictures and want to make sure it doesn't turn off guests.

What do you guys think????

• lynchnik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the Topsail....

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I love color and would use that particular one myself but, you say it's a rental, this could be a problem as even the slightest scratch would look disturbing and renters seldom are as cautious as the owner.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I like the colors Aktillery chose as they have more grey in them, so they don't feel as overwhelming. Will you be painting the full height cabinets in the darker color?

Could you have someone Photoshop your pictures with the colors you've chosen to see how you like them?

• lynchnik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are going to do the tall cabinets all in the white- Topsail colors. I did photoshop with the SW color visulaizer, but it is kind of a crappy tool and I don't think it looks all that accurate.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Vacation rental? So short term rental, not a renter who would stay for years? I say go with the fun colors! I think that would appeal to a lot of potential vacationers.

As far as the scratch concern, I think that would be same no matter what color you chose. In fact plain white would probably be a bigger contrast to the wood underneath so any chips or scratches would show even more than they would with the fun turquoise.

Did you paint big samples of your colors? If you have done that and looked at them in the actual light of the kitchen at different times of the day and you still like them, I say go for it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's a vacation rental, and those colors are fun. Go for it :)

• voila
    9 years ago

teacats Galapagos Turquoise has a touch of black in the turquoise, which could work well with the dark grout and black on the appliances. It might be nice paired with a yellowed white. AnnieD is correct in the thought of a little turquoise goes a long way. The pictures always look so pretty, but it is a hard color to choose. I would paint huge sample boards to tape on the cabinets. Also with the topsail to see how it plays with the white counters. I had my poolroom ceiling painted BM Jack Frost, which seems like a nice pale turquoise. In real life, it is really too bright. Good luck, but sample, sample, sample.

edited for typo

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Jack Frost

This post was edited by voila on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 20:36

• voila
    9 years ago

This is the ceiling with Jack Frost. It would have been better if it was grayed down a bit, I think. Best of luck on your venture. Sometimes the paint stores can be very helpful.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I have a BM Mexicali Turquoise fridge, and I used Waterdrops ( a few down on the same color card IIRC) in a few places, like the back of cabinets.

I say go down a notch or two --- but better yet, get a sample pot and try the color on a door, or even on one of those 8x10 sheets you can then hang up like a sticky note?

• vedazu
    9 years ago

First of all, I wouldn't be taking design advice from my contractor. If he were a designer, he would be a designer.
    Second, your idea of darker on the lowers, lighter on the uppers makes this easier: When the camera takes a photo straight on, we see everything equally. In fact, when you are standing in the kitchen with your white countertops, you will see much, much less of the color of the lowers, unless you are bending down to open a drawer.
    Third, as a vacation house color will be welcomed. Go light or dark turquoise, but it will be wonderful, I'm sure.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler