Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (20)

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Cute! I'm glad you showed the video because now I have no desire to go. lol. I didn't realize it's a warehouse store like Home Depot. It's HUGE!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Yep, you definitely need to know what you're getting into. It ain't your 'normal' shopping experience. ;o)

• dawn_t
    10 years ago

bwahaha - too funny!,
    Yesterday was the very first time I set foot in an Ikea, and I was *so* lost. I had to ask directions from kindly, fellow shoppers more than once. At one point I thought I was in kitchens, but turns out it was just different room displays and the kitchen dep't was over about a 1/2 mile....

Funny thing is, I sat hubby on a chair by the entrance and told him to stay, so he didn't get lost :)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

That was funny, I've only been a few times and it's overwhelming but also quite interesting. It's worth it to me as I always find something I couldn't find elsewhere.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The secret is to learn the shortcuts and how to get out when it gets to be too much. Once I am down by the dried flowers and stuff toward the end of the prescribed path, through "Marketplace" I practically run through the warehouse part.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Not quite so horrible if you understand the store ..... Agree about knowing your way around the store; where to find shortcuts -- and timing is key too! Never ever try to do your shopping on weekends!!

IF you have a particular goal in mind -- bring a list of measurements!!

Plus knowing that Ikea has a great cafeteria and coffee .....

Favorite buys: Candles; napkins; all kinds of pots for plants; cork mats for hot pots and pans; rag or woven rugs ....

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree with the above, especially:
    Don't go on a weekend or holiday.
    And hit the cafeteria.
    Bring measurements.
    And when you buy something, open it in the parking lot to make sure it doesn't have any missing parts or any obvious defects.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

OMg that's funny! I have to be in the right frame of mind to go, but I do like Ikea. Has to be a weekday, has to be as soon after opening as I can manage and I have one friend who is a perfect Ikea shopping partner. She keeps me from buying something I really don't need and would use once, helps me focus on what I do need or didn't know I needed but turns out Ikea has it ;-)

• woodie
    10 years ago

We love Ikea but we stick together so we can't get lost LOL. (Hint, look down, there are lines painted on the floor.) Cheapest tea lights in the U.S. Love the cafeteria :)

And also love the food section near checkout - we usually buy caviar paste (yum, #1 son squirts it right into his mouth without crackers) and fish balls (make your own cream sauce with potatoes and some dill) and various cookies (especially the family sized package of thin crisp ginger cookies) and candies and coffee. The Princess Cake is my personal fav but I also crave the Daim candies and Daim cake.

Right now I'm sitting at my $75 (clearance) big and wide light pine desk which I've had for several years now. Also a bookcase in my office and a dresser at our cottage.

Ikea makes me happy and we go at least twice a year just to browse and eat.

Ooops, forgot this wasn't the cooking forum, LOL!

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I gotta give some props.

When DD1 started grad school in a distant city, she had planned out all she needed from Ikea. We A-did not bring DH, 2-began with lunch and coffee, and 3-stuck to her list. Had a fun time and only thing we were not able to get was mattress as they were out of stock of the needed size.

1 trip, 1 carload, happy camper.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

You definitely have to be in the mood for Ikea, whether it's a reconnaissance mission with list (and preferably item numbers) in hand and you get in and get out or you go in just to browse and get completely overwhelmed and probably lost!

• dawn_t
    10 years ago

I'm not deterred, I'm actually planning my next shopping trip to Ikea - this time with hubby safely at home...

This is a new store that opened last November, and I finally just got a rare trip into the big city to see it!

I installed Ikea cabinets in my new kitchen 5 years ago (love them) but at the time, the closest store was 15 hours away, so I ordered everything over the phone.

It was so exciting for me to see all of the kitchen displays up close and personal!

• springroz
    10 years ago

I did not watch the video, but I have only been in the Houston Ikea....maybe twice, and ALL I remember was the floor samples already looked worn to a nub, so I had no interest in buying the stuff. Loved all the sample kitchens, and small room ideas!

Nancy

• fluffybutt
    10 years ago

I loved that! They forgot to show those horrible carts that are so hard to push. I finally have that place figured out but no matter what day or time I go there, the lines are always crazy long.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

Love it. I can't believe no one has mentioned the FREE childcare at IKEA (at least at the one in Burbank). When my kids are having a particularly bad day, where do we go?

IKEA!!!

• peony4
    10 years ago

I live within half an hour (sans traffic) of 2 ikeas, and make the journey about twice a year. I've mastered the layout and checkout process, etc. I learned my lesson long ago about how to scrutinize what I will really use vs. what just seems like a good idea to buy at the time. I've never visited the cafeteria, though--I guess I'm missing something!

But I do remember my first visit. I was so overwhelmed that I walked out having purchased only a few cork hot pads and a bag of Swedish fish for my kids. It was exhausting.

I never go on weekends, and I'm ultra-realistic about what I really need.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I'm probably going back to one of the Ikea stores near me on Monday -- I have to exchange a comforter for one that's a bit more lightweight.

After all my trips to Ikea, some rules I would enforce if I were Queen of Everything That Counts:

(1) No spouse can accompany you through the store -- all of the discussions just bog things down. One partner goes, takes photos, gets the scoop, then goes home and tells the other partner what he/she is helping to lug to the car on the next purchase visit.

(2) No children unless they're young enough to be left in the ball pit safely or old enough to be useful schlepping bags and boxes and loading them into the car. (I don't hate kids, really! But I feel sorry for the ones who just want a nap -- because usually I do, too!)

(3) Ikea must start to give cart-steering lessons (even I need them sometimes).

(4) Ikea must open 2 new register lanes for each 3 that have more than 6 people waiting.

(5) Ikea must install "rescue me" kiosks for the overwhelmed people -- you can spot them by their jaws dropping when they see how much is between them and the exit. An employee would come bring you a cold beverage or a cup of tea (and a cinnamon roll would be lovely, too, thank you) and take your hand and lead you through.

(6) Ikea must install an area with lounge chairs (those heated, massaging types!) and whirling foot baths to soothe those tired bodies and toes.

(Can you imagine how many "likes" it'd get? Do you think they'd hire me?)

• kiki_thinking
    10 years ago

I love ikea. It's the mother ship.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I've been to the Atlanta Ikea twice and each time left without buying anything. Sure, it's cheap, but I didn't like any of it. A style preference....
    and, a lot of it is cheap looking.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I have learned that going to IKEA means a day trip and you need a lot of energy. Its definitely helpful to know the store and the shortcuts.

I have been both when it was a zoo and I thought I might not survive the day ;) I then went on a early morning right when it opened and I was pretty much the only one there. I was in and out in no time.

So, if possible, go on a day such as Sunday morning or a weekday the second it opens, know where you are going and what you need and then get the heck out of there before the masses show up!