Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swentastic81

Would a giant round bathroom mirror be weird?

A little update in the poorly planned bathroom saga:

We've got the tile finished and the vanity installed. The vanity top in the picture reads much more yellow than it is, it goes with the tile fine but I might end up replacing it someday. I still don't care for the paint color but am ignoring that part for now.

I was hoping to have three pendants and two tall narrow mirrors but with the way the sinks are situated, it would look really awkward. I scrapped the middle pendant and am now debating mirrors. Here's a close up of the pendant bc they're hard to see in the first pic.

You can kind of see where I'm going with the lines on the wall - I like the idea of a 50" diameter mirror centered on the vanity but not sure if that's "allowed". I found a few pics on the internet that look good - and it seems that a lot of people use that as a solution to off-center sinks.

Here's the finished shower - just awaiting glass enclosure.

I'm kind of shooting for a modern/classic/industrial (is that a thing?) vibe with the room. I think the round mirror against all the other hard square lines would be a welcome departure but before I move forward, what do you think?

Can you come up with any better ideas?

Comments (33)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Sorry, but the lights are in the wrong place and the person over the sink will not be able to see themselves fully in the mirror.

• annac54
    9 years ago

I kind of like the way the round mirror would look, but first I think you need to stand in front of those sinks and imagine trying to use the mirror. Can you do it without leaning over? I think it would be a PIA to not see what you want to see just standing there at the sink.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

imo, it would not function well. I would repeat the shower niche squares, but on a larger scale with the mirrors. I think repeating will pull everything together. Think custom framed mirrors from your local framing shop (for specific, odd size) if you can't find already made.

I would also raise the pendants.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 15:27

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Beverly. I can have the lights lowered and I'm not particularly concerned with the person at the sink - aside from a builder basic looking full size mirror there's no way to get a mirror over the sinks and still have lighting. My main objective is to have a place to set my makeup case and apply my makeup. This is our master bathroom and forever home so I'm not worried too much about resale.

FWIW I was thinking a large beveled mirror - nothing with a frame. The smaller circle was just a test circle - I'd be shooting for the outer dimension.

EDIT:

*Allison - thanks for your input too! If you did square would you center it between the lights? Two smaller mirrors? As far as raising the lights the whole reason I dropped them to my height is because I'll be using this mirror for makeup, mostly, and I hate having "overhead" lighting. Had it in our last bathroom.

*Anna - I thought about that too and I don't really gaze into the mirror when I'm washing my hands or brushing my teeth. It might be a little weird but not enough to put me off of the round mirror idea...

This post was edited by Swentastic on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 15:35

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I originally put this first in my post but deleted. I have decided to change my mind again. I would mirror the entire wall (left to right, and as high as you can go - to the ceiling or crown). No bevel. No frame.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 15:34

• allison0704
    9 years ago

• allison0704
    9 years ago

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooh I really like the rectangle mirror! I was thinking about it but figured it was even worse than a giant circle. Hmmm lots to consider. Thanks for the examples!

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

YES! Allison that's actually the pic I found to justify my giant round mirror lol. I think it looks pretty ok, no??

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Square mirrors - I would do two square. Not small, but not huge. You can make samples out of brown paper to find the right size. If squares that are visually appealing don't end up being functional, then try vertical rectangles. I am loving that horizontal rectangle though. A nice out of the box touch.

I think the single round frameless mirror works in this bath because the vanity, sink, faucets and fixtures are all modern. I'm not so sure it could be pulled off in your bathroom.

*edited to add: it also has the interesting tiled wall behind the simple mirror. If you were to make your wall interesting (not just painted) it would help, but I think that a big round mirror isn't what your bathroom is crying out for.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 15:52

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Sorry, but grandson is still napping...

Another idea (different frames)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I vote for the large round mirror; it looks fantastic in that shot! I think using it would break up the repeating pattern of right angles. Go for it.

P.S. As for your makeup, I'd recommend a lighted makeup mirror in the bedroom.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks tomatofreak! 2 votes for round!

Ok ok hear me out - what about a giant captain's mirror? I could make one with leather and antique brass buckles or something. I've always loved how those look and I can probably figure out a way to make one. Could add some interest. I see what you're saying about the bland wall behind.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by Swentastic on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 16:27

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think the round mirror looks great (I have a "captain's mirror" in my front hall, thanks to Beverly), but it would annoy me no end to have to move/lean over to see myself in the mirror while standing at the sink. I'd have a permanent crick in my neck.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think hanging the mirror is too many hanging things. I would mirror the entire wall, right over the toilet, to downplay the unusual position of the lights. It will reflect light, which I think you'll want with your dark tile, and not chop the wall into more shapes.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

When I picture standing at the sink, the pendant light seems to be right in my way, making me want to list to the middle. The round mirror, not being directly in front of me, also makes me want to list to the middle, so the whole thing seems awkward. I would do a tile to ceiling mirror the length of the vanity (or maybe that horizontal rectangle) - I think it would create an optical illusion with the lights in a way that they wouldn't seem so close to the sinks, and also will allow those standing at the sink to look directly into the mirror.

You could then think about mounting a decorative round (or otherwise) mirror in the middle on TOP of the other mirror.

Or maybe three mirrors?

{{!gwi}}

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow that's gorgeous! I do like the idea of mirroring the whole wall - I'll get a quote for it but worry it might break the budget.

Thanks for all the input!!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Is it weird for guys if the wall behind the toilet is mirrored?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Not unless you know different kinds of guys than I know. :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

LOL!
    I'll take a poll at the next dinner party :)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

My DB has a round dark framed mirror in the bathroom of his new house....looks all wrong to me. I would use two rectangular mirrors....one over each sink. Or failing that....mirror the whole wall.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Well, I think the giant round mirror looks great and would work IF it functions for you. I have no need for a mirror to be directly over the sink -- in fact I'd prefer a window -- but DH shaves over the sink so that function won out in our case.

That said, I am really drawn to the photo Allison posted 11/11 at 15:36.

As for the whole wall-of-mirror concept, I'm not a big fan, but I suspect I'm an outlier. To me the wall-of-mirror feels like a hotel. For others, that might be part of the "spa" look that is desirable these days?

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

I have a not-so-giant round mirror in the powder room.
    I tried to center it in the space, but doing so really put it a tad too high, meaning that you're losing a lot of "useful" mirror space. Close to half the mirror wouldn't be used except for reflecting, say, a wall and part of the ceiling.

I love the shape, but in terms of general usefulness, I'm not sure I'd choose that again.

I do like the longer horizontal one in one of the photos pasted above -- with some edging to it (not just a bevel). Take a look at the framed artwork and mirrors at Home Goods, Marshalls, etc., to see what you could repurpose!

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I think it would be a little less functional, but would still work. Who says you need to be directly in front of the sink when you're using the mirror? Most of my mirror time is doing something not directly sink related like makeup or hair. I certainly don't need the mirror to brush my teeth or wash my face or hands. However, one key difference between the "justification picture" and your mockup is that the inspiration mirror edges go all the way to the edges of the sink. So when you're standing directly in front of the sinks, your face isn't cut off by the frame. I think it would work better with minimal or no frame and as large as you can to try to max the width to cover both sinks.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Another image with a round mirror in your bathroom.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I think no frame would be better than using one.

Here is another outside of the box mirror. Not necessarily for your bathroom, but might make you look at something you wouldn't normally have considered.

My favorite is still the horizontal rectangle mirror.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

You mentioned industrial in your post. Picture your two sinks in this one. Three frameless mirrors, with a larger one in the center.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Sliding mirrors, or mirror.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

IMO the only way to make the awkward positioning of those pendants work is by using a large rectangular mirror. It doesn't have to go all the way over the toilet, but it does need to extend the entire length of the vanity.

It it were me, I'd have found different lighting or gone with a single basin. Your bath just doesn't have the room for side lighting with two basins.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow thanks everybody - this is all so helpful! For now I ended up ordering the full wall mirror. It wasn't as expensive as I thought so I still have some budget and time to find a really cool 2nd frameless mirror to mount in the middle some day. I really love that idea and will keep my eyes open for the perfect one meanwhile at least there's a mirror in there - I'm ok with the hotel feel and think it will be great for reflecting light. Seriously you have been awesome and thanks again for the great suggestions!

• allison0704
    9 years ago

lol My first thought/second post.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha you nailed it! Gold stars!!

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm