Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Save my marriage!!!

DLM2000-GW
11 years ago

DH and I rarely battle over house issues - he defers to me on decor decisions and I defer to him on structural/mechanical/non-decor elements. But we're stuck on this one because it's really both.

Our house is old, 1936, the front door is original with wavy glass and all. We've reached the limits of what weather stripping can do and need a storm door. We are agreed it has to be a full view. I want to paint it the same color as the wood door, Cottage Red. **HE**, being the engineer, Mr Science and all, says no way are we painting over the factory finish of a brand new storm door and setting ourselves up for maintenance on that. The practical side of me agrees however....... I don't know what color will work. I've been driving around looking at every house in the area to see what they have for storm doors and front doors, red entry doors being of most interest to me, of course. Most are white, and blend pretty well into the wood trim around the door which also tends to be white. But our white trim isn't a true white at all so I'm afraid the storm door will look too white by comparison. I've also seen some black storm doors with red entry doors, even though the trim around the door is white and oddly enough they seem to work, almost disappearing altogether. We have black shutters so it might make sense - yes? The factory finish red is not an option at all - they tend to be cranberry reds. What do you think will work best - white or black?

(Please don't suggest a wood storm that we can paint - not going there for several reasons)

Comments (43)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I think white would be fine and although a different white, it would still blend in. If you do black, I think you would notice it more.
    You have a lovely house.

• bac717
    11 years ago

Just throwing out my first thought and it doesn't answer your question, so please don't be mad at me. Have you looked at the factory finish red to see if you like it? If you like it, would painting the door to match the factory finish red even be an option? I know that's more work, but like I said, just throwing it out there as an alternative.

To answer your question, tho, I think I'd prefer the white because all the trim is white.

• beache
    11 years ago

I'm voting for black. I think it would blend more from the street.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I think I would choose black as there would be less contrast with the red, so your red door wouldn't seem smaller as it might with a white frame on the storm door. However, I don't have any real life experience. If you have been viewing storm doors in your neighborhood, I think you probably have the best opinion of what look you prefer.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

White.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You all are killing me!!! 2 votes white, 2 votes black - doesn't that figure??!! LOL!

Barb I wouldn't object to repainting the entry door IF I liked the red available in storm doors - but I've only seen blue/red offered and I don't care for it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

tie breaker: white....it will disappear into the trim and the red is strong enough to show through.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Black all the way!

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

Black, for the reasons bronwynsmom stated, though I wouldn't have been able to make such a cogent analysis as she.

Dee

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

See below

Here is a link that might be useful: red front doors and storm doors

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

Did you know they make colored full view storm doors? I have seen red full view's in a historic section of our town. I would check with Anderson.

• kathy77
    11 years ago

White. WHITE.

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

Black for all the reasons stated above! :-)

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Black........white will make the door look smaller.

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

Have you considered taking it to an auto body shop to have it painted to match your front door? If it makes a difference, my DH gives his permission for you to do just that!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Black! Bronwynsmom said it better than I ever could. And it will look good with the black shutters.

Nice house!

• lala girl
    11 years ago

I say black for sure. I think it provides a nice picture frame look and will be great with your shutters. (I have white trim and a dusty purple door and love my black storm door)

• User
    11 years ago

I would still paint it red, factory finish notwithstanding. If you have to go with white or black, then black is my vote. But I would still paint it red.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Having done this recently, I vote for black. Drawing in your door, over the door light and shutters would make it a nice fit. Add a little brass if you desire to further dress the storm door up.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Black. I like white but I think black would look classy on your door.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Since the votes are so even, I say that you let your husband choose, and then save your vote "points" for the next time you are at a stalemate on some other issue.

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

I'd go with black, I think it'd work better with the door and the black shutters.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. We're going to do a trial run with the black - it's from a local store where they know us so we'll prop it up for a quick look but I'm sure it's going to be fine.

The explanation from bronwynsmom about white skewing the proportions really sealed it. That's what I see with white storms in front of a non white door but didn't know why it felt unbalanced - makes perfect sense to me now.

If we planned to stay in this house a few more years I'd insist on a wood storm & paint it as I pleased but we hope to be out of here in a year or so - this might be our last winter here. And the last thing I need is something else to paint and touch up when we decide to list!

Marriage crisis averted!

• snowballeffect
    11 years ago

I vote for white. I think black would look great it you did not have the white trim surrounding the door but with the white trim black would look out of place in my opinion.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I think you will be happy with black - it gets my vote too!

• Fori
    11 years ago

black

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Black - glad you are trying this, I'm sure it will be the best.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

If you do not like the black, I agree to have it painted at an autobody shop. Car paint is pretty much indestructable and it can have a matte look.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Black - I'd even consider painting the mailbox black and perhaps get black numbers. You have a beautiful home from what I can see. :)

• jlj48
    11 years ago

White

• crl_
    11 years ago

I think you are right to choose black,

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

There was an article in our local paper about what your front door colour says about you. Black means you are the most successful in your field (don't ask me what the other colours mean, 'cause that's the only one I remember). Good choice.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL!!! daisychain that's really funny since I'm listed on Linkedin as Professional Bum and I'm VERY successful in my field!!

Well, black it is. Roughly installed today but needs some adjusting for square and a new handle set. It came with brushed nickel but we're brass on this old house so ordered another set. Once it's all done I'll get new pics but I'm pleased. It's going to take some time for my eye to adjust - 22+ years with no storm door. THanks again for the input - didn't count but black seemed to pull ahead in votes just a bit ;-)

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

I would take the storm door to an auto painting shop
    and have them paint it to match your red door. It would
    hold up to all the elements and not chip or fade.
    It would also blend with your red door making the red door
    the main attraction.
    j.

• susiemw
    11 years ago

I"d love to see pic of the finished product!

I think the black would look good.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

DEFINITELY BLACK!

• loribee
    11 years ago

I want to see, too! You will love having a storm door...!

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Surprised to see this resurface! The weather closed in on us as soon as DH installed the door last fall and spring hasn't begun here yet but I will get pics - hopefully later this week. Recuperating from a little procedure but am up and around and will make sure the camera is charged.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry it took so long - here's the update. I'm happy with it, the black works well to my eye and I love being able to have the door open on warm days....... not that there have been many yet! bronwynsmom's explanation of proportion and the effect of shadow was dead on.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

It looks great! Much better than a white frame because it keeps the proportion and sets of the door and the surrounding white. Good choice!

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

it looks wonderful !!!

• madeyna
    11 years ago

Perfect