Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

update: mbr makeover (pics)

jan_in_wisconsin
12 years ago

I'm posting updated pictures of our MBR makeover. I'm hesitant about posting, because I've incorporated so many things that have been recently mentioned on this board as tiring or "out", i.e. burlap, chocolate and blue colors together, painted furniture (using chalk paint, no less), and the dreaded carpeting! LOL!!! Oh well, I do like how it's progressing anyway. I'm still in need of accessories big time, but more about that later.

Here is the before:

After:

For this room, I repainted the walls SW Whole Wheat (they were SW Compatible Cream previously), replaced the bedding, replaced the draperies and rods, purchased "new" antique nightstands and painted them, purchased new lamps (didn't have any before) and shades, and replaced the dresser hardware.

Advice I took from this board:

Move new drapery rods higher and out more in comparison to the old rods.

Add detailing to the nightstands so they tie in better with the mirrors. I painted creamy colored accents on the nightstands to match the mirrors. I also antiqued the mirrors more than before.

Add burlap behind the caged nightstand doors to better conceal contents.

Replace ORB dresser hardware with clear knobs to echo the drapery rods.

Sew euro shams and an accent pillow, which I did. I used linen for the euro shams and a pretty french blue dotted fabric for the accent pillow.

I realize I mixed styles in this room, but I like doing that, albeit I'm a novice and not too sophisticated.

I'm still working on finishing this room, hopefully without breaking the bank. I really like the painting Les suggested of Monet's summer haystacks for over the dresser:

If I get it in an oil and of a decent size, it will cost several hundred dollars. I'm seriously considering doing that versus a print. I'm also stuck on the proper frame style choice for it.

This chair was suggested by interiorstylist from Home Decorators for the area by the corner windows:

I love the chair, however, Home Decorators does not have fabric samples available and they said I cannot return the chair if it doesn't match, only if it is defective. I also like a beautiful chair and ottoman from Ballard Designs, but the total cost is around $1,000.

I may end up saving my pennies for some quality pieces. I'm not decided on what to do.

In terms of accessories, these are some things I like:

French farm animal pictures:

Santos Doll:

Comments (47)

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jan you go right ahead and use all the no-no items in your bedroom - it looks smashing! Really and truly, I love it and think the idea of your farm animal pics is personal and unique. There's another one - unique! Well if you're gonna do the 'wrong' stuff, may as well do it all ;-)

There is a Home Decorator's store in northern IL - maybe they'd have something with that fabric?

• boysrus2
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update. I remember your room and those cool mirrors. I like the add'l distressing you did to them and the end tables are adorable. Ties in well with your pretty bedding. Your room is coming together so nicely!

Don't be hesitant to post. I didn't even respond to that I'm tired post, although it was a fun read.

• User
    12 years ago

That is an amazing transformation! I do not care what anyone says, your bedroom is so NOT "out". It is stunning! And so NOT trendy.

Thank you for posting!

• katlan
    12 years ago

I think it looks great. Pretty please, with a cherry on top, where did you get your bedding? I love it.

• fluffybutt
    12 years ago

I love your room. It's gorgeous!!! I really like the haystacks picture that was suggested and the chair.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

Very pretty, not sure who thinks those things are "out" seems all the stores are carrying them, as well as the golds and reds you replaced! Pretty is pretty and you have a stunning bedroom.

• Mom2BoysWisconsin
    12 years ago

I agree. The room is lovely! As for the chair, I'm a big fan of quality furniture, but typically a chair in the bedroom isn't used much. Get something pretty but inexpensive when it comes to the accent chair or watch for someting vintage and have it covered with something that you like. What about privacy and light control in the windows, or are you out in the country? I'm thinking a discreet roller shade with some nice trims of some kind. Bali Blinds has a virtual decorator that will allow you to plug in the room colors and accessory colors and they will send you free swatches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roller Shades

• roarah
    12 years ago

It is so pretty!!! I think your use of burlap, brown and blue and chalk paint are so unique looking!!!! Enjoy your beautiful new room!

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

It just goes to show you, go with your gut feeling! Your choices incorporated with suggestions from this forum have worked out beautifully! I don't know if Carrington Court Direct has anything similar to the accent chair you like, but I think they've had good reviews here.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention that I swapped out the original lamp shades for the smaller version (shown in pictures), as was suggested here.

dlm - Thanks! Your words mean a lot. I seem to always be catching the tail end of a style kick, and just when I warm up to something, it's already on the way "out" - Ha! :o)

I would love to visit a Home Decorators store, although IL is probably a good 5 hours from here. Maybe a road trip sometime.

boysrus - Thanks, the distressing on the mirrors doesn't show up well in the pictures. IRL, the mirrors are not bright white, but more of a creamy white, and they are distressed with a dark brown, which shows up in the recesses and the grain.

jillinnj - I'm glad it doesn't look trendy. I want it to look "unique" (even if the term "unique" is no longer unique!).

Katlan - The bedding is from Nieman Marcus - their French laundry collection. I was a little concerned about ordering over the internet and then being disappointed, but the quality is very good. I really like it.

tryingtodecorate - Thanks so much! I adore the haystacks picture that Les suggested. But then I love anything Monet. I just need to decide whether to order a print, oil, and the proper size and framing. Any thoughts about that, especially the frame?

gmp3 - I think it's because all the stores carry certain things that people tire of them. In my neck of the woods, there aren't a lot of choices for stores. I've done a lot of ordering online and found furniture pieces through Etsy.

Mom2BoysWisconsin - There is a vendor on Etsy that sells vintage chairs and covers them with the fabric of the buyer's choice. That is a high possibility for me. If I go that route, I'm not sure which fabric to choose. Any thoughts about that? I've been considering an oatmeal colored linen, dark chocolate, or possibly a cream color. Any thoughts about that?

We do live out in the country, but I still would like some shades. I was thinking woven, but I really like the link you posted for the roller shades. And I'd definitely prefer the discreet look with those. Thanks for the link.

roarah - Thank you!

I'm trying to figure out about the burlap behind the caged nightstand doors. First, I tried gathering the burlap and attaching it, but it just wouldn't cooperate. So, then I just cut flat pieces the proper size to fit, and I'm not sure that looks right either. But without anything, it also doesn't look quite right. What do you think?

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Yay, yay, yay!! It all works! Everything is gorgeous together. You've really captured the spirit of your inspiration room.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Seriously?? It's beautiful. Enjoy this lovely room! :)

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Here is a site that does really good repros on oil. You may want to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: reproduction paintings

• User
    12 years ago

Beautiful and very restful..something you want in a bedroom . Your choice of colors is perfect . The art you are contemplating will certainly complete the look you are trying to achieve. Nicely done. c

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I think it all looks fantastic. Those small bits of white on the tables really help them to work with the mirrors, which I have always loved.

I think your style is too personal to be "in or out". It is a beautiful mix of things that you like and that is always "in"!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

arapaho - This place hasn't failed me yet. I am so grateful for all the advice, support, and ideas. I don't have any personal friends who are crazy about this stuff like me, so this is my landing spot. Thanks for your kind words.

gsciencechick - Thank you, and I'm touched you even remember my inspiration ideas.

loribee - "Seriously?" - LOL, I'm a CPA by day, so I'm really stepping outside my concrete, numerical comfort zone when I delve into decorating, and thus, I assume my neurotic number world will overtake any creative assertion I attempt. But, I love this stuff, and it's such a stress-relieving outlet for me. I really enjoy decorating my home. It just seems to take me forever to get anywhere - much different than the 30 min. HGTV shows in my world!

yaya - Thanks for the link. I think an oil repro will have more character than a print, and I'm impressed with how well done they appear. The testimonials are excellent too.

trailrunner - It is restful. It needed some cooling off from the warm tones there before.

Cindyloo - Thanks for coming back. I remember you posted on my original thread. The mirrors were quite a source of controversy here. People seemed to love or hate them. I hope they are playing more nicely with the room now that I added the cream colored accents to the bedside tables. I think they do.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I love everything! The antiquing on the mirrors really toned down the white, and everything just sings with everything else.

You are such a careful, thoughtful decorator, and it shows.

I also really like the Monet haystacks. If it were me, I wouldn't sink the money into a canvas; I think a print will do in a guest room. I'm not sure what color frame, but something simple, maybe a rustic barnwood.

Congratulations on a great project.
    Dee

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dee - Thanks. I know you saw my original post about this room. This is our master, not a guest room. I know the haystacks just belong in the room. I'm glad everything is finally coming together. I am careful (maybe too careful) - you hit that nail on the head. Unfortunately, I do suffer from analysis paralysis quite often, as well as a brick wall when it comes to accessorizing. But, I'm working on it. :o)

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

it looks great - a very soothing, serene space. I love those mirrors behind the nightstand. I may have to borrow that idea!

• les917
    12 years ago

You have done a wonderful job, and you should be pleased!

I still am not a fan of the mirrors, because I think the ornate tops are kind of jarring with the headboard, and a bit much for the proportion of the very lovely nightstands. But that is MY issue, and the overall feel of the space is very well done.

I would like to see a chair that has more curves, more like a traditional bergere chair, to compliment the curves of the mirror and nightstands, in balance with the lines of the bed and dresser. Perhaps something like this?

antoine armchair

Perhaps with this pillow?

embroidered feather pillow

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Les - Hello! I love bergere chairs, and I've actually looked at a few antique ones, thinking I could have them upholstered in a custom fabric. I agree about the curves. Your link for the antoine chair seems to reload this thread, but if it is the PB chair, I really like it. I didn't know they had one in that style. The pillow along with that would be perfect - it will be in keeping with the soothing and restful tones I really want. I understand your sentiments about the mirrors. Guess I was looking for a little drama.

• les917
    12 years ago

My gosh, I am so sorry! Don't know what the heck happened on that link. I'll try again:

antoine chair

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I think I'd like to see how white would look behind the "grills" on the tables.

The tables, mirrors, and lamps make a big statement which speaks to the bedding. The bedroom set and curtains are having their own conversation but it all works together nicely.

THIS is a room that might have been included in that article, "The Art of Mixing Styles"!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Great choices! Really sweet.

May be different styles, but it all flows together very well. Haystacks will be perfect, too.

We can't actually 'see' the burlap in the pictures the way you probably can in person.
    So it's not standing out as anything bad from *here*.
    The nightstands definitely draw the eye as "UNIQUE" accents.
    That's good, not bad, IMO. And it seems many here agree. :)

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

Wow, it's pulled together beautifully! I love that bed. Really love it. And the new bedding is perfect. So you did the nightstands in milk paint? I've never experimented with milk paint, but I'm dying to. The turquoise is a stunner. I vote yes for the feather pillow les linked.

Thanks for sharing your updates.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

looks great!!!
    (i have blue and brown in my master br too and even if it's not as trendy anymore doesn't mean i like it less!!)

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job. The bedding is lovely and I also am loving the mirrors and the turquoise nightstands.

I really like the horse print and something about the sheep print makes me smile...but not convinced I would like them for your bedroom.

Great job:)!!

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Jan-I don't know why I thought this was a guest room. I change my opinion; I would spring for a canvas for a painting I loved I would see every day.
    Dee

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Fantastic! You did a marvelous job!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cindyloo - I knew I wanted to mix styles in this room, but it is harder to do so than it would seem, I learned. I wonder if I used white fabric behind the wire grids on the bedside tables if the detail of the wire will be lost.

biochem - Thanks. I can't wait to get the haystacks print. I definitely need some accessories.

arlosmom - The bed was a big question mark with the whole room, as I had it originally and didn't know if I could still use it with my new direction for decorating. But the folks here said I could keep it and make it work, as well as the dresser. I did replace the matching bedside tables, though, to break up the matchiness of it all. I used chalk paint (Annie Sloan's variety) for the nightstands, and I love working with it. The nightstands were originally white, and I didn't have to prep them at all before painting with chalk paint. Then I used both a dark and a clear wax to finish.

busybee3 - trends, smends, right? :o)

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

It looks great! I'm glad that you kept the bed.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Count me as another who thinks this room looks just wonderful! I love the way you transformed it. Your bedding is gorgeous, and I'm a big fan of those painted chests. Nicely done! (I also adore the photo of "Nina" in her stall! How cute is that! :-D)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

robin - Thanks, me too! I think by replacing the bedside tables with something non-matching, it works much better.

auntjen - Thank you. It was a bigger undertaking than I had planned. Somehow it seems others who make over rooms do so effortlessly, but I know that's not true. For me, it was a struggle every step. I am very pleased with it, though, now. I've been watching your bathroom paint situation, so know that I'm rooting for you all the way!

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

That is a wonderful transformation. I love the tables and the color you chose. Those mirrors are FABULOUS. Please don't tell me that was a CL find...if so, I'm jealous;)

• User
    12 years ago

Very sharp! I'm just loving those burlap curtains. I still really like all the art selections. Seriously, it looks very nice. :)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tinycastles - Hi, thanks, and yes, the mirrors were a CL find! :o)

shee - Thanks, and I appreciate that you appreciate my love of animals and rural living. I guess I find it soothing and a reminder of simpler things. My life gets kind of crazy sometimes, and nature/animals are a huge source of stress relief for me. It's funny, though. I live in rural Wisconsin, so I could probably go right down the road and get some pictures of haystacks or farm animals - LOL!

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I agree with everything else said, esp. the comment that your style is too personal to ever be in or out. It reflects what you love in your life, done with a lot of thought and creativity. The haystack picture is the perfect addition to what you already have; perhaps a Xmas gift you and your DH can give one another.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

val - Thank you! Yes, I love that haystack picture. Les suggested it, as she did another Monet print I have in our living room. That's what I love about this place - others take such an interest and are amazingly great at identifying personalized ideas. That haystack picture is just the thing. I knew it the instant I saw it. I would love the oil version for its added depth and dimension. Yes, it would be a very nice together Christmas present.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I am a big fan of Monet so it definitely gets my vote. It works so well in your space and seems you like it also. An excellent suggestion by Les in terms of colors, style and composition. I don't think you could do better. I'd go for that one just right artwork of a larger size than multiple smaller pieces, but that's just me. Other items you can collect over time and will be OK leaving other walls bare until you find them or have the budget for more. Sometimes it's worth it to splurge for that just right item and economize on other items through CL, etc and or reselling what you no longer use on CL. Perhaps you could sell some things on CL (like that ottoman I noticed you replaced on your LR thread) and that can be your artwork fund!

• pattihw
    12 years ago

Just chiming in to say your bedroom is lovely! I am just starting to gather thoughts/ideas for my master bedroom re-do. I bought paint (SW Quietude - a light turquoise) and plan to use chocolate brown bedding, etc. I had no idea that blues and browns may not be in...nor did I care. (haha!!)

• bettymnz4
    12 years ago

Wow - I like.

We are in the process of planning for a master bath gut and remodel, and will redecorate our bedroom at the same time. I've added this to my inspiration file. Thank for posting.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

What a wonderful job you have done with this room! All of the detail work that you put into the room really shows and it has so much personality. A room with heart and personality can never be out of style! Can't wait to see more pictures as your room progresses!

• earlykitchen
    12 years ago

Beautiful room. I am curious about the burlap drapes-where did you get them-do you like the way they hang? Do you have some light filtering through them? are they lined? I have been thinking about getting some-have seen online at pottery barn and ballard designs. thanks for your help!

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

So pretty and calm!
    Your so-called mix of styles is so cohesive I didn't even notice a mix! Nothing stands out in any strong way, other than, "Oh, look at that piece. But over here, look at that piece!" That type of thing. Good lookings over there! :)

The way the page scrolled, the Money hay stacks just showed their tops at the bottom of my screen. I thought, "What the heck are those pointy ant hills!?" Then I realized almost at the same time what the painting was, laughed out loud and was thrilled. I love that painting! I also absolutely love farm pictures. I love your donkey looking out of his house.

I think you've done a fabulous job.

Christine

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Very, very pretty and creative. Love the painted furniture. Tell me, where your rods join in the corner, did you just leave the finials off on those ends? I can't see an up close photo of the corner of the windows.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

Jan, just got my latest issue of House Beautiful and immediately thought of you when I saw the nightstands in this bedroom photo! Thought you'd like to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful - March 2012

• mpmg46
    12 years ago

Jan-It's beautiful! You did a fabulous job. Thanks for sharing!