Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

BM Revere Pewter....I love this color! (Pics)

homeagain
12 years ago

I know most here are OVER the (non)color gray but I've painted 4 rooms different grays in the last few months and love each one more than the last.

I've spent the last week or so painting my foyer, stairwells, back hall and upstairs hall Revere Pewter and really love this color. Not only does it look great (IMO) with the other grays I've used but it looks amazing with the antique white trim I have through-out the house.

I'm 95% certain that I'm going to paint the family room this color too!

I tried to take most photos without flash, since the flash washes it out. However, since the stairs and upstairs hall have no natural light, the gray looks much darker in the photos.

Anyway there's not much to see since these aren't really decorated rooms but here ya go....

foyer

a view of BM Chelsea Gray in Study

a view of BM Iron Mountain in Dining Room

A close-up with trim. DH added the wainscot a couple of weeks ago while on vacation. I haven't decided how to trim the top of it yet and just have a piece of stained shoe moulding lying there to try it out.

The upstairs hall

and the stairs..

Comments (21)

• inox
    12 years ago

Thanks for mentioning Revere Pewter. I have considerec a wall of such a color with just a large mirror on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Revere Pewter

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

I don't care if most people are over gray -- my DH's favorite color when I met him was "18% gray" (yes, he liked Joy Division/New Order LOL) and one of my favorite color combinations has always been gray and gold and I will like it after everyone else has left.

I love your pics. They're gorgeous. And please give your DH a big gardenweb hug for putting up that fabulous wainscoting!

• chispa
    12 years ago

It looks great in your house. I just tested RP in my house and it looked like muddy cement! The lighting in this house is very tricky and it has been a pain to pick colors.

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

It looks beautiful in your home! We have it in the library on paneling and it's just not working for me...but I may take the walls from stark white to antique white and see if that helps, before removing the pewter...I love the way it goes with your woodwork and decor.

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hopmom,

I will try to post some close-ups of the rug for you tomorrow but the background is a true slate blue. The colors are much more muted than they show in the overstock photos. The band around the perimeter is a sand color and then the color that looks bright orange in the O photo is actually more of a rust. There's also a sagey/olivey green.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Revere looks great in others' homes, but not so much in mine. I have tricky lighting, but I also think I am drawn to warmer tones and not a lover of purple tones. I do enjoy admiring it from afar, though. Congratulations on loving your new room(s)! There's nothing like finding the 'right' color.

• catkin
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing pics of your home! Love the mouldings.

I especially love your office. I've had a gallon of RP in my closet for over a year( I plan on painting my den). I'm just burnt out on painting.

Any of you serial painters wanna visit? LOL

• loribee
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!
    We have that subway clock in our foyer as well and adore it!

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

We were so indecisive when we built our last house (about 13 yrs ago) that we ended up with the whole house being a soft smoke gray. While I did want to change a few individual rooms (I did do 1 before we moved), overall I liked it a lot. In our new house, we forced ourselves to be bolder and different. We now have SW Blonde in our common, living areas, and after a year, I'm SOOOOOOO missing my soft gray! It's so peaceful and a great neutral for the other colors I love: eggplant, sage, pumpkin, gold......

I'd repaint if I could manage our 20' high foyer and stairs.

Enjoy your gray! It's lovely.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Over gray? Hmm.. there I go again not being "in".

I absolutely love grays and how they change with lighting. I've been looking for a perfect gray that doesn't have red or blue in it.

The lighting in my house is tricky, too. I am mezmerized by the color I painted my kitchen cabinets. Duron "Rugged Road". They change color too much, though. When the sun hits them, they look almost aqua!!! The top cabinets, at the very same moment, are the beautiful gray-green that I can't live without.

I don't know how to address this kind of thing, but hopefully figure it out before I paint my BRIGHT living room gray. :)

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Back with rug photos. Sorry for the delay.

These are in natural light with no flash...

From other direction with lighter nap showing

What's crazy is that these are BOTH true to life...

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! I love the Revere Pewter in your home! I've never tried, but had the chip in my home and not sure if I could pull it off.

Your home looks gorgeous...please,please send your DH to my home so he can do wainscotting,lol...wonderful job! (Lucky you...my DH not so handy apart from a paint brush:))

Love your rug as well..beautiful colors.

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lisa, and everyone else who complimented the color!

I've tried BM Duxbury Gray, BM Gray Owl and BM Fieldstone and none worked quite the way I wanted in the last few months. So I understand the frustration of seeing a color look great in someone else's home but not work in your own.

I ended up mixing the Gray Owl and Fieldstone and came up with a color that I really like. It is my second choice for the family room along with Revere Pewter. I'm going to start a new thread for that so please stop by and take a look.

DH said this B&B wainscot was the easiest project I've given him yet and the cheapest. We did picture frame wainscoting in the study and dining room earlier this year and added a coffered ceiling to the dining room. You can see a hint of each in the photos above.

The wainscoting for the stairs is made of 1 sheet of 1/2" MDF cut into 3 inch width's. The entire project, w/o paint, cost $30. I was at work when he did it (I supervise too much) and he said once he figured out the correct angles that the sawing and nailing part only took a couple of hours.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

I'm much more over beige than gray, since I consider gray much more elegant than beige, which can often look muddy and rather cheap (just my opinion). In my living room I painted several of the walls a warm, soft gray that I mixed myself, while leaving the longest wall which continues toward the bedroom on one end and the dining room and kitchen on the other a cream color. I love the effect and my guests seem to agree.

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

That rug is GORGEOUS! Do you remember the name of it, or a keyword? My brother just did some slate tile work, and that would be perfect in his house! It might also be perfect in my house!

I have a love/hate relationship with gray, but the colors that you've chosen look really nice. It seems very soothing, and doesn't have that harsh, dreary look. Great job!

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the link to the rug. It's much more muted than the Overstock photo shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safavieh rug

• kimiko232
    12 years ago

Funny. I have revere pewter in most of my downstairs now. I know I'm late on the gray trend apparently. And, I've been trying to find the perfect rug for under our kitchen table. The one that you purchased is one of the rugs I was considering, but couldn't decide if I would like the slate blue or not. Thanks for posting your pics. It helps me a lot. I love the combo together. I may be stealing your room. :) BTW, is there any green in that rug? My couches are a gray green and that is the hold up on the whole thing. The rooms open up to each other. I wanted to bring some of the green over, but tend to like blues better.

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kimiko,

The rug does have a sage/olivey green in it. I really love all the colors. I actually ordered the smallest version of this rug before committing to see the quality of the actual rug and if the colors would work in my room. I figured it would be a lot cheaper to return than the 8x10 version. I ended up keeping the small rug and ordered the large rug the same day it arrived!

The background is predominantly the slate blue with a sand color band. The pattern has green, rust, pale yellow, dark gold, apricot/peach(?), cream and brown.

All of the colors have a muted/faded look about them and the rug is very thick and cushy. I've had mine a few months now and it's just now stopped shedding. I would definitely buy this rug again. I've seen it on other sites for $700+.

Good luck!

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for that link! I'm still swooning over that rug! If I hadn't already bought the one for the hallway, I would have bought this, instead.

I looked at my brother's tile photos the other day, and I think the slate in the rug is too pale to go with his floor. His slate is a mix of browns, grays, a deep rust, and the true "slate blue" tiles are very dark, almost charcoal gray. The pattern, style, and quality of this rug is what I was looking for, though.

I did just buy a rug to go by the back door, and I'm not loving it, but it was cheap, so I wouldn't feel bad if I replaced it.

• kimiko232
    12 years ago

Homeagain:
    Thanks so much for the response. I think that it will go just fine in my home. I'm glad it has some green in it. That way it will at least look like it will fit in. I think that I may pick up a runner for our hallway upstairs. That way I can get my husband to like the color as much as I will. Thanks again for posting your information. It really helped me out a lot!