Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Hand woven oriental rugs and hardwood floors--pad recommendation

julieste
9 years ago

We just had our oak floors stained and refinished with oil based poly, and I am trying to figure out the best pads to use when we are safe to put the rugs back after a 30 day wait for the floors to cure.

I have about a half dozen handwoven rugs--the thinner weave tribal types--ranging from pretty small ones to runners to 9' x 12' or so. In the past we used those waffle weave things as pads, but I did notice they left a grid pattern on my floors that you could see where the pad had been. With these beautiful new floors with a satin finish I don't want that. I also don't want real thick plush-type pads because I don't think they are good for the thinner handmade carpets.

Does anyone have any info and any recommendations for what is a good pad for the type of carpets I have and also will be safe for my hardwood floors? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I am not affiliated with Rug Pad USA, but have purchased from them for my home and DD2s. They have good prices and quick shipping. Sign up for emails (or check Facebook page) for first time order discount code. The pads I have purchased do not stick to the floor - problem in the past with some ordered on ebay.

They have several ways listed at the bottom to help you find the right pad for your rug and floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Pad USA

• birdgardner
    9 years ago

In the countries where these rugs are made, they don't use pads. My mother collected a lot of orientals twenty years ago, no pads, no deterioration.

I've had a rug for fifteen years, no pad, no deterioration.

And no marks on the floor either.

Further, I've got a latex sensitivity, which I don't want to develop into full blown allergy with exposure, so no non-slip mats for me. Get the rugs big enough so they don't slip, smaller ones have to go on walls or tables.

Vacuum often, clean underneath them, leave your shoes at the door.

• julieste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to both of you for the help. I've taken a look at the linked website for pads and will investigate further. And, I've been doing some research on pads for hand knotted carpets. Apparently using a pad of some sort will prolong the life of the carpet because the pad absorbs some of the shock/friction from people walking on the rug. Yet, I also know that where these rugs are made there really is no such thing as a rug pad.

On Amazon I did find a pad that gets high reviews for use as a pad for hand made rugs that are placed on hardwood floors. Durahold Plus Felt and Rubber Pad for Hard Floors.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

fwiw, DD2 has kilim rugs (thin) and they slide on the wood floors. Without a pad she would be taking her 3yo to the ER on a regular basis. She also has a few dhurrie rugs and while they are not as thin and would not slide, having a thin pad make them more comfortable to walk on.

I have both hand knotted wool and soumak rugs.

I bought a couple of pads via Amazon and ebay. One was so sticky it stuck to itself, so I wasn't about to put on our floor. The other I am still using, but the pads from Rug Pad USA are much nicer pads. I like the thinner choice option for the flatweaves.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

If you could believe me i have been a regular user of rugs and carpets both handmade and machine made. I never had used pads below them but when its about oak floor then i will suggest to have a rug with rubber backing. Cotton backing becomes torn after few years of use.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022