Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice742

My before and after - stairs

Janice742
11 years ago

I was having a hard time deciding whether or not to paint my stairs (risers and spindles) The wood is beautiful, but it was just too much wood.

Decided to do it - and also lightened up the walls.

We love it.

Comments (51)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Beautiful job, what a remarkable change. You must be thrilled.

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

Wow, that is a great improvement! looks like it should have always been done that way. Love your table at the end of the hall and the transom over the door, nice space.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Before I scrolled down, I wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference, but WOW! What a transformation! I absolutely love the change. This area went from "Yeah, that's nice" to "Wooohoooo! That's stunning!"

• fnmroberts
    11 years ago

What a metamorphosis! Looks very nice. Bet the holiday garland will look grand too.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

It looks so much prettier! If you find a way to keep scuff marks off of the risers, please let us know!

I LOVE white risers but so far I'm finding maintenance to be a big problem. I'd love to blame the problem on the big footed men in my house, but I find that my heel frequently hits those risers, so I can't blame the men!

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful--both stairs and wall color!

Cindyloo--have family take off their shoes in the house--especially for the upstairs and you'll have no scuffs on the risers. We've done it for years and most friends and family also do it.

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Beautiful ! It highlights the stairs now in such a great way. Also there is a lot being written about light/shadows and you have it going on in a wonderful way in the hall and on the walls of the stairs. Great job.

Care to detail how you did it...products used and prep ? c

• porkandham
    11 years ago

It looks great!

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

Two thumbs up! They look grand!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

That looks fantastic!!! Great job.

• bac717
    11 years ago

Looks great! I think it ties in much better now with the beautiful wainscoting you have in the hall and all the other white moulding, as well.

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

It looks great! We also have painted risers, we don't have scuff marks but that's probably because we don't wear shoes in the house.

• chardie
    11 years ago

Looks so much better. Good job!

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

Very nice. I generally prefer natural wood trim but the stairs now fit in better with your with your white trim. Good job.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

It looks great!

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation all the way around!!

• springroz
    11 years ago

That is a wonderful change!!

May I ask what your lights are? I love the light patterns!

Nancy

• awm03
    11 years ago

Wow, your stairs have gone from being bland to being a great decorating feature. Nice job!

• sochi
    11 years ago

What a difference! It looks fantastic!

• auntie_ellen boston
    11 years ago

Stunning!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I love it too! Looks great with your white wainscoting. Did you paint them yourselves? Can you please share the color and kind of paint you used?
    Thanks!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful!
    Well done. You lifted the elegance of your hallway by a mile.
    So glad you love it, too.

About the scuff marks - I like to put a coat of paste wax on white stair risers. There's a chance it can yellow after a while, in which case you just strip it off and rewax. But it makes the surface much more resistant to black marks, and protects the paint finish when you do have to clean off a mark. Then a little more paste wax on a
    4-O steel wool pad usually takes it right off.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all!

I wish I could take credit for the job - I had someone do it and it was A LOT of work.
    Sanded, taped, primed, sanded again and then painted. It is a Sherwin Williams mixture - 1 part primer 2 part cashmere finish (I think). Just their stock white. Not a semi-gloss; but can stand up to scuff marks with a wipe of a damp cloth.(We are a "shoes off in the house" family - and our guests are rarely upstairs, so I'm not overly concerned about scuffs)

My walls are a Restoration Hardware Color -- Silver Sage. Matched by SW. Low Sheen, which I love.

Lights are: Uttermost Galeana Traditional Mini Pendant Light - UM-21811. I have the semi-flush mount in the entry hall. They are my favorite fixtures in our home.

I had black and white family photos all framed in black frames along the wall in the long hallway. Need to put them back, but might mix in a couple small oil paintings to make it interesting. Need to lay them all down on the floor and see how it will look.

Working on the family room, living room, kitchen and office now! Wish I took more before and after pics.

• bosegirl
    11 years ago

Awesome!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Normally I'd have preferred the all wood look, but wow, what a difference (in a good way)!!' It looks terrific!

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I can only ditto what's already been said.

Thanks for sharing the colors and process.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Love it!! Why do I have the urge to go buy RH silver sage paint now???

• springroz
    11 years ago

Thanks for the all the details!! In my entry, i have a gaudy victorian draped crystal chandalier that came with the house. Everyone taller than me hits their head on it, since we have 8 ft ceilings.I have grown to love the blingy light pattern it throws. It also has 5 candelabra lights. If I could figure out how to rework it to get rid of the tacky parts of fake brass, I would.

Does the semi flush cast the same light pattern?

Thank you!! Nancy

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

love it!! what a great space and as someone else said, it looks like it should have always been that way.
    Would you mind telling me where you got your table at the end of the hall? I have been searching for something similar.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

I didn't read all the comments, but WOW - great before and after, just perfectly beautiful!!!

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes -- the semi-flush casts the same pattern, but the trick is to use clear lightbulbs.

The table at the end of the hall is from Ballard. It's the Newport Demilune, but they also have one called the Torino. I've been happy with my purchases from Ballard.

• lionors
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! The stairs were always meant to look like that!

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

That is beautiful! It's like the entire stairway and hall woke up! You may have been hesitant going into the project, but you did it! And it was well worth the effort.

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

Thank you Janice742

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Thanks to all who commented on how to keep the risers clean. We are always going to wear shoes in our house, so I guess we will have to find some other way to deal with the problem, :(.

• gigi7
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, but I must say that the lighting is spectacular!!! Breathtaking!
    I need to do something to my stairs, also. We are the third owners of this house and the wood is worn terribly, I'm thinking carpet runner. We are so hard on those stairs! People and pups!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Great idea! Beautiful job! Gorgeous house!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Janice742!

Nancy

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

Outstanding!

• Astacia
    11 years ago

I have been thinking of doing this exact thing to my stairs, which are very similar to yours, and this just seals it! They look stunning and I will be calling my painter this afternoon!!!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow, it looks like it was meant to be that way. Great job!

• Irish2
    11 years ago

I love the new look. It made such a transformation from
    beautiful (ho-hum) stairs to just gorgeous!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

wow! amazing transformation! you have such great vision!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Wonderful improvement! TFS

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

I spoke this out loud when I saw the transformation "OH Wow!! that is awesome"

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, amazing transformation! Congrats on such a fantastic space!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Hmm, I thought the stairs looks dated before ... maybe 80s. But then I see the transoms, which is very au courant as they are done. Is it new construction?

Anyway, it looks amazing. What a great eye you have. As for smudges and scuffs, have them take their shoes off at the door!

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, the house was built in 2005 as a spec home by a custom builder. Not sure why the builder chose the solid wood stairs - or why he stained the wood the honey/red oak stain as opposed to the darker stains that are so popular.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback!

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Fantastic result! I have seen a lot of staircase transformations but this one is amazing, great job!

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling