Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

The Mysterious Dark Purple Stenciled Powder Room

beekeeperswife
10 years ago

I received emails asking to share. So here you go. It is extremely difficult to photograph this room. Yes, because it's dark, but the high gloss is so reflective it makes the light from the vanity a bit of a hot spot. So, it's the best I can do. The one photo is a little too pink, the color is really a dark purple. The color is in fact Benjamin Moore Dark Purple. Finally a name that makes sense.

I painted the entire room (walls, woodwork, ceiling, door in the BM Advance paint in high gloss). This is to die for, it looks wet when dry. Tip: Takes a long time to dry and you don't want to rush it, so those giant lights on tripods...generate a bit too much heat, especially in a small space.

After the paint was well dried I used my Cutting Edge Stencil and applied on top of the gloss, BM's Aura in matte finish, same color. This paint has a primer built in which helped it stick to the gloss. I had to do a couple of coats though. Slow going.

I could have done the reverse with the paints, but I wanted the trellis to look like it was the high gloss and this is a negative image type of stencil.

Here are some pics, pardon the usage of a couple of posts, but I am not loading the pics to photobucket.

Comments (43)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo. It is very interesting to be in the room with the door closed

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Bee, this is awesome! I can't figure out which is the gloss and which is the matte. You said you wanted the trellis glossy but my perception is the background is glossy.

I have to ask: Two coats! Does this mean you do one and then have to PERFECTLY match up the stencil over the first coat? How long did each stenciled coat take?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband just had to be brave. I kept using the phrase "Trust"

This one the color is a little off, it's not as pink

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely drop dead gorgeous Bee! There is a dark plum Ellen Kennon paint that I would love to do my guest bathroom in. This makes me realize that it could really look quite striking!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Awesome. And I love that you painted the door, too.

• teacats
    10 years ago

What a drop-dead sexy room! Rich, elegant color with flair!

Striking indeed -- very well done indeed! :)

Magazine-worthy talent!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Stunning!!!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

linelle, the stencil just stayed in place while each coat dried. Didn't take long, since it was the matte going on. And it was around 1,000 degrees in that room if I had the lights on. But it just was so time consuming. I think the place that looks a bit confusing with the gloss is due to a reflection. The trellis is the high gloss which is actually the base coat.

sueb, I just had to paint everything. I mean, last thing I wanted when you are in that room was to have the door stick out like a sore thumb, same with the trim. I would have hated this comment "The white trim really sets off the color" I would have died. It wasn't what I wanted. I am finding that when I see the trim painted the same color as the walls it is so much more "today" looking. I'm not doing this in any room, but in this jewel box it needed it.

Thanks teacats. :)

• violetwest
    10 years ago

wow, that's a lot of work! looks beautiful. I really love the matte/gloss painting projects.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Grrrrr....now I have to paint my teeny "jewel box" again...thanks a lot Bee!.....lol...stunning! Not sure I'd have the patience but the result is sure worth it!

• natureperson
    10 years ago

That is luscious looking!! And my favorite color in the world!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I so love this and want to do this to my powder room. I asked elsewhere, but I am sure there are other inquiring minds here who would also like to know. Was it an absolute nightmare to do?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

That is truly amazing! We just painted our loft bedroom (not our's, actually, our daughter's) purple and it's fabulous!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Wonderful!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Sorry, I'm interested in the logistics of doing this. How many times did you have to move/place the stencil? How much time did you have to wait between coats?

It looks PERFECT. Any goofs you had to retouch?

• busybee3
    10 years ago

looks really nice!!

so, the high gloss is the base coat!? is it easier to do that way?? and, so, is the ceiling the high gloss too? (can't tell from the photo) i like that the trim and door are the same color.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

sooo cool!! love it!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful! (I love me some trellis) The metal prints really are set off by the background.

I did a bedroom once in stripes of gloss. I cannot imagine doing a stencil.... that must have taken weeks!.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Tres chic!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Oh, oh, oh, it's sexy and it knows it! It is devastatingly fabulous.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! It is quite a surprising room for guests. Especially since I didn't quite put the door up right and it doesn't latch correctly...and when your husband is showing it off to his buddies before heading off to the PSU football game early on Saturday morning .... he says "Check this out", to one guy and swings the door wide open. Another guy dressed all in dark is using the main attraction in the room and was hard to notice him right away...the laughter started then and continued all the way until PSU lost in OT that night...

gotta fix that door...

linelle, just need to do as many coats as it takes (2-3? it varied). As I mentioned, if you do a stencil that isn't this reverse negative image, you can easily do the gloss over the matte. But I wanted it to look this way. There are other options out there for the full wall stencils. This was just a case that you are applying what appears to be the background on top of the base coat.

It wasn't hard. No math involved. Hardest thing was painting a small space. No matter what you do in a small space I find it difficult, there are so many things to juggle..the ladder, the lights (I took the vanity lights down), the paint pan the floor covering would get twisted up.

The Frog Tape that I love does have a yellow version for delicate surfaces. It never disappointed me.

I would do it again, it's like childbirth. I forget the pain of the 1,000 degree temperatures while standing on top of a ladder in the room.

gooster--time went very quickly. I really had to practice not doing any project planning (timing how long each stencil took before I moved it, then multiplying by how many repeats per column, etc. ) I think the stenciling probably took a total of 12 hours. It is not a tiny powder room, probably about 6x6x9h.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Oh, wow, that is fantastic! Did you use a roller or brush? I'd like to try a more detailed pattern like that, but I had a hard enough time getting the roller to cover near the edge of the large pattern I had. Whatever technique you used seems to work great!

How do you clean your stencil? I have another pattern from Cutting Edge. I had a lot of trouble cleaning it while stenciling, and now that I have the stencil plus the top piece plus the individual shape to clean I've been dreading it!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

williamsem--I used a foam roller. I experimented with the tiny "touch-up" size, then the 4". You just have to roll off the excess paint. I used an empty plastic plate to roll off the excess vs a paper towel. I felt the paper towel was robbing me of my paint!

And as far as cleaning, it went like this...

Take to kitchen sink. Run really hot water on it. (wait for it. wait for it....) Then I just peeled the paint off the stencil. Yep. It pulled off. Shockingly easy. I used one of those blue scrubby 3M things that don't scratch to get it started.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous! It looks rich and luscious.

• purplepansies
    10 years ago

I'm in love. Probably pretty obvious that purple is my favorite color - but THAT purple takes my breath away.

I so want to use that powder room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Abfab!

• User
    10 years ago

I love purple !! I love the jewel box of a bathroom !! You did a stunning job. I have a jewel box bathroom with HIGH ceilings and a 30" by 80" space. I can't even imagine getting in there and doing this...but I sure do admire your talent and perseverance . c

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Absolutley stunning!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Very luxe, I love it !!!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Wow, gorgeous. Can you please show us the vanity, mirror, lights, or whatever else is in there?

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I love it. Purple is my favorite color!

• peegee
    10 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again.

Can't show the mirror because....

.....I haven't found the right one yet!! So, we have the full length one still across from the door, but no mirror yet. I did find one, but was very hesitant on using it because the frame was 4" thick and fear of odd shadows really troubled me. I returned it. Tis the season for holiday stuff, and no mirrors in the store. I'm sure I'll get one soon though. It's on the radar.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

What a fabulous idea! Really enjoyed the explanation of how you did this. Not that I really have 12 hours to spare but one never knows ... :) Love how engaged your husband is in your projects.

• demifloyd
    10 years ago

FABU!

My initial intent for the powder room when I built was anaglypta in deep eggplant with a glaze, with the same feel and look as your powder room.

I instead went with dark blue and brown wallpaper and slate cobblestone floors, but if I decide to remodel in a few years I may go back to the original design plan.

Congratulations--it's beautiful AND interesting.

• jockewing
    10 years ago

Bee, what type of mirror are you thinking about? I can see one of those all glass venetian types, but I can also see more modern or even a chinoiserie style as well.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What do your vanity, lighting etc. look like? Please show us more!

• peegee
    10 years ago

I keep coming back to admire this!!!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

That is amazing! I really enjoyed your explanations of how you've done this too.

• mylesmom06
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• sserra85
    10 years ago

Stunning!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews