Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

please help me choose out of 2 chandeliers

amicus
9 years ago

I usually only post occasionally on conversations, as we rarely re-decorate, but I'm actually replacing a chandelier after 30 years! I can't post of pic of our dining room, but we have similar looking elements with both styles (more simplistic and slightly more detailed, like both chandeliers) so either one would fit equally well with the surrounding d�cor. I'm simply wondering which appeals to you more at your first glance. Thanks!

Comments (21)

• amicus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's the other one:

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I like the second one. Just don't care for those sharp-looking metal bits at the bottom of the first one!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like #1. 2 is too Deco for me, and Deco is maybe my least favorite style.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I like the first one.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I prefer the second one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I vote for 2

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I vote for #1.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I prefer the clean lines of the second one.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Number one is prettier.

I think there's very little practical difference as they seem to be the same size, same number of lights, same direction of lights, etc. So -- get the one you like better and fits in better with your house.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I prefer #1.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Are you 100% set on those two?

This is an interesting one, with the bulbs on top of the pillars, so they'd look like candles when lit

• violetwest
    9 years ago

if you're going to take the trouble to replace your chandelier after so many years -- give it some style!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I prefer the style of the faux candle appearance of the first chandelier. I think when lit, it could appear like a candle. The second one is definitely simply glass

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I can tell you what *I* like, but I have no idea what would look best in *your* dining room. Show us a pic of the room or at least a photo of the chandy you have now.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I prefer #1

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Do you have a light fixture like that now? I can tell you that I put one in my kitchen like that. There was hardly any light from it at all. The pillars just kind of blocked it all. May not matter to you, but wanted to let you know!

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

I vote for #1. Has a bit more character.

• amicus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your responses. Violet, alas, I like them both equally, so I came here to see if there was a significant preference for one over the other. There are so many I love more, but budget limits my choices.

Tibbrix, I like that one, but I showed something very similar to DH, who nixed it, so I had to narrow it down to some we both liked.

tomatofreak, DS borrowed my camera and I don't have a cellphone, so I couldn't post pics of my dining room. But my family agrees either choice would suit the room equally. My 30 year old current chandelier (brass plated with glass) needs updating as I replaced 'matching' elements such as brass plated candlesticks and brass tone picture frames, with wooden ones, years ago and wanted to finally replace the chandelier.

boo, I agree that these wouldn't throw enough light for a kitchen, but I saw them both lit up on display and they seemed like they'd be ok for a dining room. I often dim my current chandelier, so I'm hoping these will be bright enough if I just keep the full brightness on. I can't use energy efficient bulbs in my current one though, so even on full brightness, the new choice will use less energy.

Well, it seems #1 has the majority.Thank you for your help!.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Hope I'm not too late.....#2 is my choice.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I prefer #1, but #2 would be easier to clean. (In my world, all things being equal, ease of cleaning wins every time!)

• julieleek
    9 years ago

I like the 1st one the best. The 2nd one strikes me as too ordinary.