Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with den remodel

Posted by gggirl (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 14:34

We are finally making our downstairs bedroom into a home office. I am getting bids now to change the existing window
to two centered on the wall as in the desk in the picture. Right now
I am stuck on lighting for the top of the cabinets. I like restoration hardware sconce-glass barn filament but not sure. I have many other pics if I can figure out how to upload I will.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/767384/Desk-traditional-home-office-portland

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1871372&cm_ps=modal_add_to_cart-_-none-_-other_items_you_may_like&categoryId=cat1701019

The center of the room will have a ceiling semi-flush drum shade. Does anyone have suggestions for the sconces on the cabinets and or drum fixture? i have a charcoal love seat with chrome legs. I plan to paint the walls a neutral cream color.

Also not sure about the desk top. Considering Ikea butcher block to keep costs down but then the length of the dark wood part of desk would be shorter than pic and the white bookshelf would be built up on the bottom. I think this would be ok, any opinions? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with den remodel

here is the desk inspiration

o

here are the plans. It also includes the closet filled with
white shaker cabinets to look like they are built-in

o

another cabinet light option

o

Love this for the center of the room (or any room) in white. The cheapest I can find it is $475. I m not comfortable with that when I can RH has its drum so much cheaper. Does anyone know of a close knockoff?

o

here is the drum light

o

cabinet spot light

o

Here's a similar ceiling fixture from Lighting Universe, and they have plenty of other similar at all price points.

My biggest reservation about both your sconce choices is that if you use them with a regular lightbulb, you'll see it. And the classic filament bulbs that I've seen are dim, short-lived, and expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: fixture from lighting universe

o

Like this one too

o

chibimimmi- thanks for that tip! I will stay away from the filament bulb type.

o

I like the one from Lighting Universe better, it comes in black also. For me, I could never have the filament bulb and the fact that the bulb shows, it would give me headaches. CB2 has some nice ideas on offices and good products too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here