Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Really Important Decorating Question re paper snowflakes

Sueb20
15 years ago

Well, it's that time of year again... before long, DD and I will be sitting at the kitchen table cutting paper snowflakes! (She is 7.) Last year I stupidly attached them to our windows with regular scotch tape, and I still have remnants of that tape on the glass. Doh! So, if you put paper snowflakes on your windows, what do you use to attach them?? or do you do something more creative, like stringing them on some kind of cord...?

Comments (13)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

What about rubber cement?

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

I think you can use a glue gun and pull the glue off when you remove the snowflakes. Being the glass isn't absorbent, it should come right off.

Use Goo Gone on last year's tape. ;o)

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

Oh, and fold the paper so there are SIX sides, not eight!

-Lena

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper snowflakes at Homeschool Image

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

Here is another really cool thing to do. If you have never tried Borax crystal snowflakes, it is a must.

Here is a link.

My DS and I made a lot of these one year. Even tried some heart shapes for Valentines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Borax Crystal snowflake

• arleneb
    15 years ago

And if you just want to have some snowflake fun, try the link below! Fair warning: It can be addictive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make a snowflake

• maddiemom6
    15 years ago

One year we made snowflakes from felt and then I starched the heck out of them, let them dry and then hung them up out on the porch to dangle and dance in the breeze. They were very cheery.

Maddiemom

• elizgonz
    15 years ago

Thanks for the links! I'm was thinking of having a cookie decorating party in December, but I think that a snowflake-making party would be kind of fun and soooo much easier.

• momfromthenorth
    15 years ago

Nail polish remover should take that old tape off too.
    Try the 3M hangers - they remove quite easily.
    Have fun!

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

I use those 3M things for everything around my house, so I agree that would probably work.

Have you tried making snowflakes (same 6 sided fold lenam shows) with flour tortillas? The big ones are easiest to fold. Warm them up a little in the bag first so they are flexible. Then fry flat or butter and brown in a skillet then dust them with powdered sugar (and eat). A fun winter activity with kids.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

We glitter our snowflakes with spray adhesive, then use fishing line and hang them in our great room. It's a 14' vaulted ceiling, so there's a lot of unused volume in that room. The kids love watching the snowflakes dance with the ceiling fan on.

• pinkpaisley
    15 years ago

I am so glad I clicked on this thread. Thanks for some fun ideas. It is a cold and snowy day here in NE Ohio. I know what the girls and I will be doing this afternoon.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

Wow, these are some fun ideas.

In the US we think of hearts for Valentine's day, but they are Christmas decorations in Scandinavia. Woven hearts can be either simple enough for toddlers or complex works of art (check out some of the other designs at the link below) and can be made from colored paper or scrap paper of any type. We like to use old tax forms *grin*.

Glad Jul!

-Lena

Here is a link that might be useful: Woven Paper Hearts

• uxorial
    15 years ago

My husband uses milk to adhere labels to bottles of homemade wine. Just plain milk. Brush it on with a paintbrush or dip the snowflakes in a saucer of milk.

Here is a link that might be useful: one website with this tip