Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynsmom_gw

Some ways to help Sandy's victims

bronwynsmom
11 years ago

I posted this information toward the end of another thread, and thought I would repeat it here. I'm not affiliated with any of these groups myself, but have done a fair amount of work for non-profits. I sent this around in an email earlier this week, and wanted to share it here as well:

(The links I refer to in the text are not live in this forum, but you can find the organizations easily on line.)

When you are making decisions about how to help the people who have been so horribly clobbered, please check out the helping organizations first, unless you already know them.

I expect many of you already know this, but predators love situations like this, and new phony charities spring up like weeds.

Here's some information from the TIME newsfeed, with information about who is doing what, and how to check on anyone who asks you for money.

If you plan to donate to any nonprofit, check the organization's authenticity first. CNN recommends using charity evaluators like Guidestar and Charity Navigator to verify that the group you're donating to is established and that your funds will go where you intend.

The Salvation Army is sending hygiene kits, first aid supplies and mobile feeding units to storm victims. It encourages people to text the word "STORM" to 80888 to make a $10 donation. They can also donate by visiting the website or calling 800-SAL-ARMY.

Save the Children has sent emergency teams to assist children and families. Click here to donate.

World Vision is providing emergency food and flood clean-up kits. To donate, visit here.

The Humane Society of the United States and American Humane association are rescuing and providing shelters for animals. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) has set up 4,000 shelter units in New York with water rescue units on call. All three organizations are seeking donations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read more here

Comments (3)