Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some ways to help Sandy's victims

Posted by bronwynsmom (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 14:30

I posted this information toward the end of another thread, and thought I would repeat it here. I'm not affiliated with any of these groups myself, but have done a fair amount of work for non-profits. I sent this around in an email earlier this week, and wanted to share it here as well:
(The links I refer to in the text are not live in this forum, but you can find the organizations easily on line.)

When you are making decisions about how to help the people who have been so horribly clobbered, please check out the helping organizations first, unless you already know them.

I expect many of you already know this, but predators love situations like this, and new phony charities spring up like weeds.

Here's some information from the TIME newsfeed, with information about who is doing what, and how to check on anyone who asks you for money.

If you plan to donate to any nonprofit, check the organization's authenticity first. CNN recommends using charity evaluators like Guidestar and Charity Navigator to verify that the group you're donating to is established and that your funds will go where you intend.

The Salvation Army is sending hygiene kits, first aid supplies and mobile feeding units to storm victims. It encourages people to text the word "STORM" to 80888 to make a $10 donation. They can also donate by visiting the website or calling 800-SAL-ARMY.

Save the Children has sent emergency teams to assist children and families. Click here to donate.

World Vision is providing emergency food and flood clean-up kits. To donate, visit here.

The Humane Society of the United States and American Humane association are rescuing and providing shelters for animals. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) has set up 4,000 shelter units in New York with water rescue units on call. All three organizations are seeking donations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read more here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some ways to help Sandy's victims

One more point.
Unless you have specific information from a bona fide chairty requesting something very specific, and you are able to deliver to where it is needed, only donate money.

I have seen a lot of silliness and waste in the name of relief efforts. A local school in my old town did a canned food drive, and ended up spending 1500 to get a truck to take it to LA. That's wasteful and inefficient.

Or the piles of winter coats (?) that people sent to Tsunami victims.

Don't tie up logistical infrastructure and personnel with trying to receive, store, sort and distribute a heterogeneous mound of donated goods. Err on the side of sending money.

o

Very good information, mtnrdredux! We have already made our monetary donation to one charity foundation, and plan to do more, especially when specific needs are identified.

o

Excellent point, mntnrd...
Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here