Return to the Home Decorating Forum

o
How do you decorate your toilet tank top?

Posted by oakleyok (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 14:30

Crazy, I know. When I was a kid we could buy the fuzzy tank tops and tank covers to match the rugs. Now the only thing I can find is a cover for the toilet lid.

Because there's nothing for the tank top, I can't place any glass items on there for fear of getting knocked off.

If I had my sewing machine I'd make a cute little "table runner" for the tank.

What do you have on the top of your tank besides tissues?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you decorate your toilet tank top?

iew, nothing. The fewer tzotchkes in the most unsanitary place in the house, the better. And I am not a germophobe!

o

Nothing besides tissues. I have a Talavera (Mexican) pottery tissue holder on the tank, and nothing else -- but really (as Lisa points out) it's not a sanitary place to have something that we wipe our noses and faces with. Ew.

o

I didn't know one was supposed to decorate it.

The one in the main bathroom is slightly rounded, and things would probably roll off. There's a wall cabinet with open shelf above it; I have a box of tissues and a battery clock on the shelf.

o

I have a picture above it, but nothing on top of the tank. For me, less is more around the toilet.

o

Here my guest bath/suite: found the hogwash at a yard sale thought it was cute as could be, on the tiny towels it even say's his and hers...LOL
PhotobucketPhotobucket
master potty room:Photobucket

o

Susie, where did you find the whole toilet ensemble? I've looked hi and lo and can't find one place that sells them!

As for sanitary measures, I do understand, but it's just my dh and myself, he has his bath and I have mine. With the boys gone, trust me, it's not like it used to be! lol

o

What posses people to carpet their toilet? That's a serious question! I can't think of a worse place for fuzzy absorbent stuff to be!

o

According to DH, toilets covers were invited because the bathrooms used to be the coldest room in the house, water would condensate on the tank and sweat down onto the floors. Since that's no longer a problem, covers are not necessary. Honestly, I had no idea they still sold sets and can't think of anything that would be more unsanitary.

o
toilet cozies

I did live in an apartment once in college where the water used to freeze in the toilet. Maybe it wouldn't have frozen if I got it a coat!

Does anyone remember those half a barbie doll with a crocheted dress and a skirt that covered the toilet paper roll? When I was a kid I thought it was SO COOL to have a DOLL in the bathroom and knew when I grew up I'd have one in every bathroom. Maybe it's good that I didn't learn to crochet.

o

I just have no words.

o

You are right allison, they no longer sell sets. (You can see the color difference between the lid cover and the tank cover in the photo even though they are both 'pink'.) I am suspecting they were home made or a vintage find. And yes, the reason for them in the old days was to keep condesation from dripping. The alternative was to wrap the tank in ugly batting or towels.

I am stunned.

o
to oklyoak

Sorry can't remember but have seen tank set's recently in stores, and online, even saw some in a dollar general store. JC Penney online pictures them, And it's always just the two of us here also, plus I'm a clean freak!! and a germophobe, but you will get more germs from your phones then in the bathroom..and OMG those shopping carts!!! we use antibacterial wipes everytime on those disgusting things.

o
Vintage...you would be wrong!!!

You would be wrong only have green set maybe 2 years, and pink, actually mauve a bit longer, they were purchased seperate not with the set, came in a nice plastic zippered bag, they are not vintage by any means...

o

We had a "sweating" toilet in our apartment and it was such a pain, I was always wiping up water. Luckily, our house has tanks that don't condense, but it's not because the bathroom is warm.. brrr... do your business and get back next to the fire, LOL. To answer the question, my tank is "decorated" with the garbage can (so the dog doesn't get into it) and extra rolls of toilet paper (because the sink, where all the storage is located, is on the other side of the bathroom about 8 feet away).

~~Veronica

o

Well, at least I had a good chuckle today!

o

I have no words.....

o
All machine washable so????????

what's the problem? plain white tanks are ugly! and cold looking, like a public bathrooms...no thanks not for me! and I do not do public bathrooms as in use!

o

Wow.

The toilets in two of my bathrooms are undecorated. The one in the half bath has a rectangular shaker basket on it where I keep an extra hand towel (and maybe a magazine hidden under it). Only reason I even do that is because there is no storage in that bathroom (just a pedestal sink and a toilet).

The solution to the sweating toilet is to mix a little hot water in with the cold water supply. A plumber can do this for you. My father had to do it in his basement bathroom.

o

I'm bored. Look what I found:

It's only $18. We could start a new trend. ;D

Here is a link that might be useful: Leprechaun Toilet Lid Cover

o
For Winter

It could be worse...but I kind of like the way he's holding his nose when it's open:

o
lmao

Okay, this one is my favorite. The "Semi Kinky Butler Bath Set" LMAO

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o
Easter

They're out there for every season! Even Easter:

Oops, Miles Kimball isn't selling that one any longer.

o
Double Use

This one has two features - see the Kleenex coming out of his hat?

Miles Kimball is no longer selling this one either. Sorry, ladies.

o
For kgwlisa

For kgwlisa. No dolls here, but plenty of poodles, cats and other designs:

Here is a link that might be useful: Handmade Toilet Paper Covers

o

Oakleyok, here's a site that will bring you to all the sites online with tank cover sets.
I have nothing on my tank top but I have no problem with people having them. After all, it's your home and you make yourself happy. I'm sure your bathroom is very sanitary. Have fun looking!!

http://www.shop.com/+-a-bathroom+tank+sets-st.shtml?sourceid=12

o

Good for you, Susieq - people should be able to do what they want in their own homes. And you are right about public places - better not to think about shopping cart handles. I haven't touched a public bathroom doorknob or flush handle in years. I use my foot or t.p. on the flusher and a paper towel or sleeve on the doorknob.

Has Uxorial seen these pictures?

o

I thought Wallmart and Sears still carried the sets. I'll tell you one thing. I used to have a mat around the toilet. I have tile floors and they are not heated, so I thought since it would be warmer on the tootsies. It worked great till my young nephew decided to whiz on the mat instead of in the bowl. However gross that is, I was very glad I had a mat at the time. I couldn't imagine the mess he'd have made if he whizzed on the tile floor. But since then, the mat was tossed that night and the only place I have a new mat now is in front of the sink.

o

Why oh why do I find myself returning again and again to Mr. Semi Kinky? Oh My! Should I be concerned? I am merely over- wrought due to TG preparations, sure,yeah, that's it.

o

How funny Allison!

o

How I love the diversity of tastes on this board.
My toilet tank is adorned with a box of wipes for my 3 year old. Charming, I know.
My grandmother still has the fuzzy lid cover, and she keeps a folded hand towel on the tank lid, with a bowl of potpourri
:)

o

See the link below for one where the tank cover is a chimney for Santa!

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa set on eBay

o

I have never laughed so hard--I'm still giggling over this topic. And those pictures "allison0704" enclosed--I just loved the butler/waiter and then I saw the bunny--too cute for words. By far my favorite was the snowman with the tissue coming out of his top hat. I just keep wet wipes on the back of my toilet. What a hoot! Thanks for the entertainment; I needed to laugh.

o

A box of tissues in a pretty holder.

Jan

o

I am hoping there are a lot of tongues in cheeks here..... I don't know what else to think!

o

I honestly think someone is pulling our leg - bigtime. But I could be wrong . . .

o

I can assure you, elenkao, all but my first post are tongue in cheek.

Leahcate, did you notice the 3D nose on Mr Semi-Kinky? How funny is that. It would almost be worth it to have in my powder room to hear guest ROTFL when they saw him. LOL ;)

My3dogs, leave it to you to find one on Ebay. lol That brick tank is too much.

I guess I never answered the OP's question; I don't keep anything on top of my toilets. Do you have room to put a small table next to the toilet for items instead? If it had a small drawer, you could store TP.

o

Oh thanks, Allison!:>/ I was happy working in the kitchen, came in here to take a quick peek and there!... There you are making me go back and look at HIM again. Oh that nose! Profoundly rising up from between his chiseled cheeks. My heart is beating and my index knuckle bruised from my biting it. ...But wait!.... Mr Bunny has very nice ears, too.......

o

I was enjoying a perfectly good (& rare for me) glass of Port. Now it's spewed out my nose & all over the keyboard.

Allison - you owe me one (1) keyboard cleaning!!!!

(& a glass of nice port)

o

I too am laughing! I guess there is something for everyone! But to answer OP's question: I have a long basket & matching tissue holder from Pottery Barn--check-out that website if you are interested.

Now I want a good Port, lol.

o

Just a smelly large jar candle. Toilets don't need decorating!!
Karen L

o

Allison, you're not the one I was wondering about....
Those are just for fun,......I hope ! lol

o

We have dual flush toilets with the flush buttons right in the centre of the lid. Nothing sits up there, otherwise it would block the flushers.

Carrie

o

carrie, I also have that dual flush button.

I could not figure out why this thread already had near 50 responses, now I know why.

I'm almost tempted to get a crocheted poodle, just because it's so cute.

o

I don't want any fabric near the toilet - too unsanitary.

o

Wow right back at ya! I never dreamed I'd receive such rudeness from an honest question. I guess those of you didn't read my second reply where I said it's ONLY my husband and myself with separate bathrooms. And yes, they are sanitary. I keep Clorox wipes on top of each tank also.

I agree with the poster who said a bare tank looks like a public bathroom. I just want something pretty to sit on there is all. Uh oh, a disgusting pun. lol

o

Oh,no, don't be hurt by the responses! It isn't rude to have and express a different opinion than someone else on a decorating topic.

And besides, your thread gave us all a fun trip down memory lane.

On the sanitary issue, I don't get wound up about that stuff. But my sister does, and she would tell you that it doesn't matter that only one person uses the bathroom, she would still find it unsanitary.

o

I have a tray on mine. I thought that's what it was made for....

On the tray is a candle, and a bottle of spray lysol cleaner for the tile in front of the toilet.

You guys are so funny!

o

I have the smallest bathroom known to mankind (I am pretty sure it's not up to code). Because there is no storage whatsoever (pedestal sink, no medicine cabinet, and I can't use nails or screws in the walls because of my lease), I have one of those freestanding over-the-toilet shelf thingies. Horrible, and uglier than sin. I have baskets filled with all of my bathroom items. It's a mess, and an eyesore, and things falling into the toilet is a regular occurance. How's *that* for gross and unsanitary.

LMAO over the toilet decor! I'd love to spend a day in the life of the person whose job it is to come up with those designs.

o

One of the things that made my tiny bathroom look hideous was having plastic cleaning bottles with their garish labels hanging out all over.

If you wish to keep a Lysol bottle on top of your toilet maybe try putting it in a fancy spray bottle. I like the aluminum ones as they come in not just natural aluminum but some are powder coated in very deep rich colors. There are also some very pretty plastic bottles made too. I have a bottle of that stuff for spraying down the shower tiles in a fancy bottle in the tub area and it looks unobtrusive.

http://www.cameobeauty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=
CTGY&Store_Code=Cameo&Category_Code=SprayBottles

http://www.purespadirect.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=
VJ-543982&click=10549

For those Clorox wipes, slide the thing in a aluminum or ceramic pasta container. Get one without lettering or kitchen design. The one below has a snap tight lid so you can rip off the little stay-fresh seal tab on the wipes container and they won't dry out an will be just as handy. The one I use was a tall tin can that a bottle of sherry came in. Around Christmas they sell liquor in gift tins. I spray painted it. It has a lid that just pulls off and pushes on without the extra thumb snap.

http://www.organizedliving.com/product/containers/food+
storage/canister/tall+stainless+steel+pasta+canister.do?
search=basic&keyword=pasta&sortby=bestSellers&page=1

If you are looking for a tray that will fit on the back of a toilet get a French bread tray. Get one without a food design of course. Putting items in a tray is decorative and will keep things from sliding off. The first link shows aluminum, wood and ceramic ones. Google to find ones to match decor.

http://www.everykitchenisland.com/Serving-Trays-C56681.html

The Fiesta reissue bread tray in amazing colors:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=
66146&CategoryID=27173

Similar but fancier:

http://www.brightfungifts.com/silver-bread-tray.html

http://www.jacarandastyle.com/productdetails.php?productId=111

http://www.shopnbc.com/Wedgwood_Franciscan_Desert_Rose_Bread
_Trays_Set_of_Three/K18471.aspx?storeid=1&track=1885&cm_re=
SearchList-_-N-_-N&page=LIST&category=House %26 Home%
7Ct317&prop=Wedgwood%7C1885&catprop=1885

o

Oh my gosh....shame on me for having a hideous bottle of spray cleaner on the back of my toilet. It has a garish label. I guess I just don't have the special flair for decorating toilet tanks...lol

o

And here's one for that "Florida" look:

Photobucket

o

That might frighten small children., Terriks. :D

Glad I gave some of you a good laugh. Last night, when the puppy had me up at 3am, I remembered one of my grandmother's had a Santa cover in the 70s. He held his nose when the lid was open. I thought it was hoot at the time, which was my grandmother's intent. She had a great sense of humor.

Oakleyok, if i have offended you, that was not my intent and I apologize.

I think I'm too OCD to have things on the back of my toilet. Besides the germ factor, I just don't like a lot of stuff. We've always had convenient drawers, cabinets or linen closets close by, so no need to leave things out.

o

On 3 toilets, I have nothing but on one of them I have three very pale huge blue candles that I bought to use elsewhere and they did not match but they match this bathroom and they were so expensive that I felt I just had to use them. Ugh. $90 for candles, you gotta do something with them. Yes, I know. What a fool I was.

o

Be careful if you light those candles while on the back of the toilet, flames and gas don't mix. lol

o

Not to worry, I don't get up on the back of the toilet. I admit I have done some strange things in my life but that is one that I have avoided at all costs. :-)

o

So much to say here - but I won't!!

o

Gawd. I had no idea such things exist:

o

I don't *decorate* my toilet. As I said before, my bathroom is very, very tiny. No storage vanity under the sink. No cabinets. No counter around the sink. No nothing. Cleaning products like the shower spray, that are used everyday or many times a day, are put into better containers since they must be left out in sight. It just looks better. I'm not "decorating the toilet". It's just reducing unsightly clutter in my bathroom.

Valzone said she has the smallest bathroom known to mankind but I think I have the same bathroom. I can't/won't hang shelving over the toilet on the wall because it is vintage tile and I am afraid of cracking them or having them pull out.

I bring my make-up into the bathroom in a Caboodles that I keep in my bedroom. Sometimes I just leave it on the side of the tub because I get lazy.

o

Dilly Dally, I thought I was the only one with a Caboodles! My husband gave it to me when we were dating (we have been married for 20 years.) I still use that thing every day to cart my makeup around and it is teal and pink, sooo 80s. I also had a peach toilet ensemble (with matching towels and paint) in our first place. However, I don't still have that.

o

What is a Caboodles?

o

Caboodles equal makeup organizer, similar to shaving kit or train case, somewhere in between. I have 3-4. At one point in time some of the better department stores gave them with makeup purchases, the reason I have more than 1. I have one I keep in my purse, one to travel with and a couple others that I keep for some reason or other, maybe if someone comes by who needs one. ;-)

o

Caboodles are like fishing tackle boxes for girls. They come in all different sizes and colors.

o

Wow!! I only have...let me count... 5 makeup items...so that would be overkill for me, LOL! I have never seen those before.

o

Amy, there are Caboodles mentioned nostalgically in a lot of blogs if you Google. It is funny that women have them for decades and love them. There was no 'planned obsolescence' with these things. They last forever and can't "wear out". Mine is a neat-o aqua with silver glitter in the plastic. It goes well with my retro bathroom.

I never hardly see them sold any more in stores. I think that once someone has one they never need to replace it.

o

Just so you'll know, even Ralph Lauren makes a toilet cover set. Look below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ralph-lauren-polo-teddy-bear-toilet-seattank-lid-cover_W0QQitemZ260318443645QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101

o

I like a small rug in front of the toilet, though mine aren't contour rugs and they are beige so they blend with the floor tiles. A rug is just more comfortable for the feet then a cold tile floor and very easy to clean by just throwing in the wash.

I just have a small box with wet toilet paper on both my toilet tanks.

o

Ralph Lauren would never make toilet lid covers.

From the ebay page:

This set is made from the same fabric as Ralph Lauren's Polo Bears bedding. I make these with Elastic for a Snug Fit and also so they are easily removed for laundering. This set is for an Elongated seat (18" x 14").

o

The Ralph Lauren company didn't actually manufacture the toilet set. It was made by the ebay seller from Ralph Lauren fabric.

o

Ralph Lauren does not make toilet sets. They are home made by the seller. Right on the site it clearly says: This set is made from the same fabric as Ralph Lauren's Polo Bears bedding. I make these with Elastic for a Snug Fit and also so they are easily removed for laundering.

o

Heavens, Ralph Lauren probably doesn't even use a toilet.

(;-))

o

DH came by just as I was scrolling thru this thread. He took one look and says "these are the people you are asking for decorating advice?"

o

Crocheted! :D

Photobucket

o

Oh my goodness, this is a squirt-the-wine-out-your-nose funny thread. It just keeps getting better and better.

o

budge1. I am laughing so hard @ your comment, MY husband wants to know whats so funny!

o

No disrepect intended...........
But a little attention to providing constructive feedback would not hurt.
It seems to be a growing trend to provide rude comments. There really is a difference between being able to articulate an opinion and just plain rude venting.

In previous posts, someone asked about paint or other decorating ideas. Responses included things like rip out the cabinets. It is as if we have no appreciation for the fact that some of us don't have unlimited budgets and must work with what we have.

A little sensitivity is not going to hurt us.

And to the matter at hand, while I don't call it decoration, I have a wicker basket on the back of my toilet. Its pretty and serves a purpose. And how anyone could think that the top of a toilet is unsanitary is just beyond me................

o

That's hysterical, Budge.

o

I have a clock radio on the top of the tank now...
for some reason, taking a shower always slows me down and my husband always loses track of time...

how can the top of the toilet be "germier" than the flush knob or faucet lever?? someone's aim must be off :)

o

Sorry, but no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot take this topic all that seriously.

Go ahead & shoot me, but I'm going down giggling ;-D

& for what it's worth, here's an entertaining, albeit scientifically factual, article on germs & toilets & desktops, oh my....

Here is a link that might be useful: Flushing Out The Truth

o

The Ralph Lauren reference was not meant to be taken seriously!! Geesh.

o

Decorated toilets? Please tell me that this is a joke!

Wouldn't bleach based cleaners take the colour out of fabric?

o

The Ralph Lauren reference was not meant to be taken seriously!! Geesh.

There was no ; ) or ; D after your post. :-/

After reading moonkat's link, I'm glad we work for ourselves, out of our home, and that we close our toilet lids.

o

I'm glad we work for ourselves, out of our home, and that we close our toilet lids.

Ditto! For years, if I find that someone has left the lid up on toilet (& assuming I know them well enough to address the issue) & if they won't listen to Feng Shui reasoning, I'll say something to the effect of "Did you know that zillions of nasty little critters fly straight up out of the toilet water when you flush & land on things like your toothbrush?" Hopefully a few of them actually heard me!

o

OK, you can all bash me too, but, I am wondering if susieq isn't playing a prank on us. Surely, anyone who is even the least bit interested in decorating would have their toilet covered with that!

If you are real, susieq, I am sorry, but, someone needs to set you straight! Sorry, but it really hurt me to even look at that. Much less, pink and seafoam green??

At least, now you know, and we don't know you personally, so you can't be too embarrassed.

o

I assumed the Ralph Lauren comment was a joke, or tongue in cheek.

I think you can go a bit too far in worrying about germs. You can only do so much, we are exposed to germs every day, every where. I don't want to hide myself away out of fear of germs. Actually, exposing yourself to germs usually helps build up your immunity. We don't leave our toothbrushes out, so no worries there. If you do leave them on the vanity, etc. you can keep them brush end down in a small amount of mouthwash (change often!).

I personally do not care for the tank/lid covers, in fact I was brought to task a while back on a blog when I mentioned a toilet lid cover after viewing a quite pretty bathroom re-do. To my eyes, the lid cover stood out like a sore thumb. However, the owner quite liked her lid cover, and as it is her bathroom, she should have what she likes.

Olliesmom, my MIL is a woman of good taste, USUALLY, a woman with plenty of means to decorate a house beautifully and in the most current styles, but I have yet to convince her that it might be time to get rid of the blue and rose! LOL Again, each to their own.

tina

o

I don't think Susieq is playing a prank on us. She has posted quite a few pictures here and that is just her style. She knows what she likes and doesn't care what is "in" or "out".

o

If form follows function, one has to wonder.....no, let's not go there! :)

o

I'm confused about some of your bathroom habits. Why are you peeing on the back of the toilet? (Or whatever else you're doing up there that creats all of those germs). You do know that the tank can be considered emergency water right? And that the stuff in the bowl does not swish back into the tank, nor onto the back.

So that being said...I don't have fuzzy rugs on the toilet. But my mom does and they're cute. And in her bathroom, which can be quite cold, the little rug is welcome :)

I have a train rack above my master toilet. It has towels stacked on it, and we hang our towels from it as well. They actually can touch the back of the toilet if they're the big ones....gad we're probably going to die. Behind those towels :) I have a 13th century document in a frame, (The master is decorated with medieval documents) and a tissue holder. I don't like to leave cleaning items out for the public eye so nothing of that sort. But to be honest...at this very second, there are also three pieces of baseboard travertine trim LOL Waiting for the tile guy.

On my son's toilet we have a little silver claw foot bathtub with a floppy teddy bathing in it. I also have an early 1900's golf print since the room has an antique golf print wall.

In our powder room...we have nothing. The actual tank is a full circle (powder box) type, so everything would roll off the top LOL But if it would hod anything, I'd most likely have a tissue box and a small piece of sculpture or art.

o

Once again we have witnessed the typical "follow-the-leader" mentality for decor opinions. In the process an attempt has been made to put down an unwitting poster who was brave enough to show pics of her home. I find this degree of thoughtlessness quite unnecessary. It's one of the reasons many of us do not post much or ever show pics of our homes. It seems only certain styles are acceptable on this forum, otherwise one runs the risk of being ridiculed.

While I don't use lid or tank covers I do consider the toilet tank top a valid space to decorate. The bathrooms in our home are cleaned regularly and I know they are not germ-laden.

Just some food for thought: I've often saved pics posted on forums and zoomed in to see things better. It's amazing the dust and cobwebs occasionally seen in otherwise very nice decor in people's kitchens and LR's. They don't look as clean as my bathroom is.

o

Not all caboodles are created equal. I have one similar to the above but my others are fabric and leather. One has cabbage roses on it from the 80s and has a little hand carry thingie. The leather one is a fold-up sort of thing, similar to a jewelry rollup. Five makeup items? Oh, my #2 DIL only has about that many as she was born with beautiful skin and color in her cheeks and her eyes look like they have been lined and the #3 DIL had some color put in her cheeks, some eyeliner put on and a lipliner, all of this permanently as well as botox every few months to keep things perked up. I only wish but I have about 10 brushes for make up. I am not sure what they are all for but as long as I have them, it makes me feel that I am on my way to becoming beautiful. :-)

o

Consider for a second that the laughter isn't directed at a person or their decor, but rather at the sets that have been shown here, which are funny, and I bet are designed to bring smiles and chuckles.

o

Once again we have witnessed the typical "follow-the-leader" mentality for decor opinions.

But if decor does not change, there is little to talk about, is there? And thus no use for this forum. The fact is, this forum generally attracts people interested in decorating who who wish to be aware of current decorating trends. Let's face it, some styles endure and some don't, and fuzzy toilet tank covers fall into the latter category, in the minds of most people.

I knew a woman who had found her style niche in about 1960 - flipped up bouffant hairdo, blue eye shadow, the works. She didn't change her personal style for literally decades - she may still look like that for all I know. She is not likely to be posting on a forum devoted to hairstyle fashions, and if she did, she would get the same reactions as this poster.

o

I have a six foot three husband and little boys using my bathrooms. I KNOW my toilet tanks get dirty. I don't even like having a tissue box on the tank.

I also have no way of knowing if everyone who uses my toilet closes the lid when they flush. I think it's pretty common knowledge that toilet flushing sprays contaminated droplets of water amazingly far.

Absolutely no toilet decorating at my house. To each his own.

o
For Real??

You betcha I'm for real, and everyone who's see's my home loves it! and over the years not one but 2 decorating places have tried to give me a job... but I was not interested! so there ya go!! here's a pic. of entire bathroom! which is part of guest suite! as you can see marble vanity has mauve in it and just redecorated suite with new bedding, drapes etc. with mauve in it so of course I don't vear off into another color...duh? and my master suite is all in seafoam and blue so of course potty changes from seafoam to blue..
PhotobucketPhotobucket
and master bathroom potty room & shower around corner up top..Photobucket
How many local decorators tried to hire ya'll?? mostly it was for our unique window treatment and building a beautiful fake window where there can not be a window, they went nut's over it!! and other original ideas... so chew on that for awhile...ROFLMAO

o

oh susieq07 ... now you have really opened yourself up for comments...

I will choose NOT to comment and just get some popcorn.
This should get good!

o

I rarely post here but I think I should pop in more often based on the hoot I've gotten from this thread!

I don't decorate with anything in the bathroom that can't be easily cleaned or wiped off. I have towels hanging from the wall above the toilet in the guest bath that I wash constantly and all the toilets have bath mats in front of them, also easy to toss in the wash.

The thing is, poop juice is everywhere in your bathroom. That's right, poop juice is sprayed all over your bathroom every time your toilet is flushed after pooping and even shutting the lid doesn't keep it from flying although it does help. Even if you are the only person using the toilet, poop is poop.

Oh, and don't forget, keep your toothbrushes in a drawer!!

o

SusieQ, your pictures are fabulous. Don't ever change.

Where is the fake window? Is it the one over the toilet?

o

You go SusieQ!

How lovely to see you express yourself, rather than the boring vanilla, same old, same old.

poop juice is sprayed all over your bathroom...

Don't forget the huge similarity between the microbes that live in your mouth and your gut, so let's hope no one dares to decorate any room where a person might sneeze!

-Lena

o

I am beginning to think someone is having a little joke at our expense.... :)

o

I have a box of kleenex in a decorative holder--although after reading this thread I am going to move it (:D).

Photobucket

I am happy that susieq07 LOVES her style and that she is follows her heart/head and does what SHE likes. She doesn't give a cr_p what anyone else thinks. We all don't have to live there, only susieq07 and her family. Her interesting and unique decorating style may not be for everyone but it is hers. I like the cafe table and chairs under the window in her cozy guest room--I can see guests relaxing and reading there. I also love her masterbath pillars and how they welcome you into the bath/sink area.

Again, it may not be everyone's style or choices but because susieq07 is happy and comfortable with her style, let's support her in what is good for her.

o

Dr. Oz was on Oprah the other day talking about this very subject - he also advised not to keep your toothbrushes near the toilet because of the spray. (He didn't refer to it as "poop juice!")

lsandler, I agree with you - I guess it's time to move the kleenex! (I love your paint color on your wall - very pretty!)

o

Yeah. How many times on this forum have we told a poster, "What do YOU like? Do what YOU like."

I'm a decorating minimalist, but I love what SusieQ has done, for its purity of style. I admire her for knowing exactly what she likes.

o

Heh heh. I just love these threads about bathroom decorations! As some of you already know, I decorate one of my bathrooms (a 3/4 bath that rarely gets used) in 9 or 10 different ways. And there are different things on the toilet tank for every theme! (All of them covered with millions of germs, I'm sure!) :-)

Laugh all you want! Poke fun! Call me insane! I don't care one bit, and I don't take offense if people think my bathroom themes are goofy (or unsanitary). I do this totally for myself. It makes me (and others) smile!

snowflakes
snowflakes tissues and magazines

Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day toilet and towels

citrus theme
citrus toilet and pole

Halloween
Halloween toilet

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom themes

o

uxorial--LOVE it!!! Your fun, whimsical decorations sure made me smile! I would like to see more pics of the different themes.

One practical question--where do you store the items not in use?

o

I'm fairly new here and don't know all the personalities, so I may have missed some subtle humor. But it does seem that most of the messages have been posted "tongue-in-cheek". Let me share my thoughts:

First, I kind of like the flamingo-themed tank set, also the Santa, and that "butler" set cracks me up. But I probably wouldn't buy any of them, even to decorate for a party because - and this is key to my thinking - some men absolutely do not want to use a toilet with a cover on the lid. I said some men, not all. Everybody's different.

I think that in general, those who take the trouble to cover their tanks and lids tend to be fastidious about keeping their bathrooms clean. I don't have research to back up my opinion, and it's just my opinion.

After reading this thread, the next time I went into the bathroom, there was in fact an item on the top of my tank. It was a hairstyling product (in it's original container). OK, I was in a hurry that morning. On a bad day, when the entire bathroom looks like a hurricane has come through, the top of the tank is not the first place I look to tidy up. By policy,the lid is closed for flushing and remains closed so small items can not accidentally fall in. I know people who own dogs that like to drink out of the tank. Doesn't bother them.

All toothbrushes in my house have covers (sometimes little cases), and they rest on the far end of the vanity or enclosed in a cabinet. But honestly, I do not obsess about these things.

I looked at a few bathroom decorating photo galleries (BHG, ivillage, etc.) and in many of the photos there are items on the tank. Tissue boxes seem to be a frequent item. Many have trays. I like those photos showing cut flowers in a vase placed on the tank, but won't it be likely to fall?

I'm sure susieq's guests feel very comfortable in her guest suite, lid cover and all. And who wouldn't be either fascinated or amused by her fake window?

o

This thread has inspired me to have someone remove and drywall over the wooden magazine rack that the builder built into the wall right next to the toilet -- which I'm sure by now must be covered in "poop spray" (and I thought it as just dust!) The drywallers just happen to be here today and I'm adding it to their list of things to do. I'm totally serious.

Other than that, all I can say is that a toilet, being...er... well, a toilet and associated 100% with things best kept private... is not something to draw attention to or make a focal point of with decorations or cute outfits. It's a necessary tool, to be kept as clear and clean as possible considering what goes on in it. Nothing at all on my toilet (except of course when it is occupied.)

My powder room is large enough to have a little dresser in front of the toilet, and in this I keep reading material, extra TP, cleaning supplies, etc. However, I'm going to be cleaning it better than previously after reading this thread.

o

Susieq07, do you have different tile in your water closet (where your toilet is located) than in the rest of your master bath? The tile in the first picture of the tank cover/matching rug in the master bath is a greyish colour and the tile in the bigger master bath photo is an oatmeal brownish. Are they two different bathrooms?

o
RE: How do you decorate your toilet tank top??

lsandler--I have the items for each bathroom theme in separate plastic boxes, which are stored in an attic-type area of my house. I store the rugs separately in huge zip-lock bags.

I like to get something new for each theme every year. This year is the first year I've had a Thanksgiving shower curtain. And in June, I bought a bunch of different rubber duckies, which I'll use for their appropriate themes (check out the vampire ducky for Halloween, and the turkey ducky for Thanksgiving).

Here is a link that might be useful: I just uploaded some new photos

o

Susieq07, I love both of your bathrooms and your guest bedroom. Your master bath is so spacious!!!
I've been reading this thread debating whether to post or not. I've decided a couple of things - mainly, that I'm glad my toilet is in a potty closet with it's own door, and I'm glad I don't share it with my kids, (even my husband usually uses a different bathroom.)

That being said, the items on my toilet tank are for decorative use only. I bought them because of the color, not because I want to go around smelling like sangria.
Lots of you have probably already seen it, but here goes:
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Perhaps when you're done ROTFLYAO, susieq, you could fill us in on what decade exactly all the design companies were clamoring for your services. I can't imagine any decorators in the last 30 years applauding toilet upholstering.

Speaking of toilet upholstery, anyone have a toaster cozy? ;)

o

uxorial-

I want to use the facilities at your house, why I would even read the seasonal selection of magazines, replete with poop juice as they must be. What a fun and creative person you must be (not to mention a fellow non-germophobe).

And once again, I am amazed at the fear that a few germs arouse in some people, I really don't get worrying about covering your toothbrush, but then again we're a "If it's yellow, it's mellow" household, which I'm sure is not the norm on this board.

sandyponder

sandyponder

o

This thread has me so totally confused I think I'm going to stop reading it...but than I keep coming back. Now I can't figure out who is serious and who is spoofing. I was serious about my tray and Lysol bottle.

Oh well...

o

If you look closely at Susieq's closeup and then the distance shot of her pink BR, you can see that they are obviously the same room - pink wall on the right, cabinet on the left, and the cute little Hog Wash atop the toilet. The floor tiles are the same; the difference in lighting accounts for the variation in shade.

I love the Hog Wash and would like it for my over-the-top laundry room. But googling it just brings up drawings of pigs in bathtubs. Any suggestions to locate it online?

Daisyadair - I've always admired your pink loo-cubby. Fresh, feminine, perfectly composed and All Yours!

o

We have lived in this house for 31 years and have never flushed with the lid down and our toothbrushes have been on the vanity about 5 feet away, maybe less, forever.
When is something bad going to happen to us because of this?
You mean to tell me that I'd probably never have been sick all these years if I had closed the seat or had my brushes away??
I don't know about you, but I have way too many other things that are fretting me to worry about this one.
I must admit, tho, I am so entertained by these type of threads...I even look forward to them!! Keeps me laughing, and these days, I need that.

o
Fake window is in our breakfast room, other side of that wall is

This is the fake window,in my breakfast room, complete with window sill, 2 birds and a nest on sill, balloon valance above with lighting underneath... and this is a window treatment I added in dining room, cut from plywood fabric pleated and attached in colors of my decor...
fake windowPhotobucket
window arch:Photobucket
A note of interest to ya'll maybe?,(or not) have not been to a Dr. since I or hubby were teenagers, we do not even get colds, well maybe one in 10 yrs. or so, and now we are older then many of ya'll, me 60's hubby 70 we don't even get Flu shot's and don't plan to...so guess we're doing something right eh?? have no kids never planned on it, we're happy just the two of us, together 50 yrs. married 45, but if we had a son, he would have been house broken just like all the males in my family, they sit to pee just like they sit to chit unless in a public bathrooom with a urinal, no male pigs in my family!!! wizzing all over the rugs...NO WAY ain't neva gonna happen my mother house broke my Bro. and my Dad as well, you women folk are just putting up with male pigs is all...

o

So how many people remove their shoes before entering the bathroom? Let's combine two fave trends in one post.

o

How many people with guns leave their shoes on when they flush the toilet with the fuzzy-covered lid left up?

o

sable, it's the master bathroom, not the pink one. And I still think someone is having us on :)

o

Wow, that's classy susieq. Going after the way people choose to raise their kids. I didn't chime in on your decor. But, as a mother of four boys..I take offense to you calling them pigs, just because they don't sit to pee.
Nothing cuter then watching your little 2 yr old standing at the toilet, with a big grin and a BAD aim, while dunking cheerios in the water :) That's how I POTTY TRAINED (as they're children, not animals )my boys. I also teach them to clean up after themselves, and they've done a GREAT job. I rarely see any mess left behind.

o

How many people with guns leave their shoes on when they flush the toilet with the fuzzy-covered lid left up?

And then - because of the dusty fake and dried arrangements - sneeze into the contaminated kleenex ?

(just to add another favorite...)

o
Good example of what decorating can do...

Here's our potty room in our motorhome, pic. taken when new before my decorating, taken with old 35mm camera: not good color on old pic.
Before:Photobucket
And after:Photobucket
which would you rather live with? there is a glass covered print above toilet and a cabinet also, not on pic.

o

Thanks for the photo of your fake window, SusieQ. I love it.

Men hate fuzzy toilet cover-covers because they prevent the toilet seat from staying up on its own. You (if you're a man) have to HOLD the toilet seat up. And it's impossible to leave the toilet seat up.

So if you think a toilet cover-cover has no charm, please consider its functional value... LOL....

o

Now I know susieq is a prankster! House break a son?? Sits and pees like a girl?? Sorry, but if I saw a man do that, I'd crack up and run the other way. No male pigs in my family either, but they stand up in all their glory like most men do!

I can't believe all of you are actually buying all of this!

Hire her for a decorator? Maybe 30 years ago!

This is hilarious!

o

THANKS for all that too much information. As if the REAL visuals weren't enough to make my eyeballs crack, now I have to deal with the mental images!...

o

And, she just keeps posting these pics that just get worse and worse each time. LOL!

o

Jeez Louise.

I thought I'd add a post, to try to help this thing along to 150.

o

I hate to break it to some of you, but Susieq's been around for awhile. No pranking going on. Maybe she'll post pictures of her blue driveway. It's a sight to see.

I have to agree that calling men and/or boys "pigs" is quite rude. fwiw, I don't feel that bad aiming is what makes the toilet area unsanitary. It's more a mental thing than actual.

I also have to add to an earlier comment by Susieq; having a regular toilet with a tank that is undecorated does not look like public restrooms. All of the public restrooms I go into have tankless commercial toilets.....and I assume the men's restrooms also have urinals. Neither are found in homes I've been inside.

o

C'mon people... another 2 dozen posts and this will drop down to be hopefully forgotten!

o

Well, this is mine. Double-duty wherever I can.

o

Oh, please. We all know that men aren't pigs.

Cats are pigs. Trust me on this one.

o

A friend found this gem

Those are fishing lures, btw, embedded in the seat.

o
Over the top?

There's always the $75,000 Swarvoski toilet:

Here is a link that might be useful: Over the top?

o

Susieq, I actually prefer the first picture of your motorhome's bathroom. I think the second picture would look better if you matched the toilet seat cover to the floor mat colors. The purple kind of clashes.

You seem to like color a lot but I notice all your walls are very white, unless they have wallpaper on them. Do you just perfer white walls?

Can we see your blue driveway?

o
When in Japan

DH took this picture when traveling. What would Mr SusieQ do in Japan? Not sure you can or should sit on that. Yes, these are in the mens and ladies rooms.

o
Emails

Olliesmom and Happyladi, check your emails.

o
Driveway...happy to show ya'll..LOL

Sure here's my driveway course most of you younguns with attitudes, no need to comment,could not afford it at a cost of 6 Grand, but ask me if I care, it's the hit of our neighborhood of about 3,000 homes, and everything that comes out of these fingers, is the truth because that's the way of me, honest to a fault and iffin ya'll don't like it ya'll can kiss my grits...again ROFLMAO...I see some god awful decorating on here but don't even bother to comment just chalk it up to, lack of experience..
driveway:Photobucket
walk at christmas 07Photobucket
and the teal color on our house you have no idea how many people rang our bell to ask what the color was and where to get it..as for your rug rats ya'll raise em any way ya like,, just keep em outta the shopping carts with their runny noses and chitty diapers, yer making people sick!! cause rug rats are almost always sick... for those of you who are not smart asses, thanks for your real comments..and that's the last post on this subject from me got better things to do like my Christmas decorating..

o

Oh Allison! I haven't seen one of those since I was avoiding them in Japan! One squats to use it and if you think men missing a Western toilet is bad...

o

Allison, nothing in my email. I am not making fun of Susieq if that is what your email was about. She asked us which bathroom picture we liked better and I told her. I also made what I thought was a helpful suggestion on the colors in there.

I asked about the walls because I noticed all her walls were very white and I can tell she likes color.

I really would like to see her blue driveway, I am having a hard time picturing a blue driveway.

o

susieq07--you mentioned you and hubby never get colds, etc. I am especially interested in your statement as I get sick at least once, maybe twice a year and then a couple of times it goes into pneumonia. Do you take vitamins? Maybe I live too close to a city--what state do you live in?

o

I am crying from laughter - I can't take it anymore - and
my eyes hurt (too much tackiness for one day!)

o

Frankly, I'm surprised by all the comments that haven't been said! That alone is amazing...and why this thread is still here.

o

Bumblebeez, I thought the same thing! And to be honest, I've typed out a couple of responses, but thought twice before submitting them, and just kept my thoughts to myself. (Well, except about cats being pigs. I stand by that assertion. ;-))

o

Not often, but once in a **blue**moon I do think,'Thank the Lord for CC&Rs

o
Susieq

Susieq - I remember your comments about soonermagic's lovely home:

Help: Photo Shoot at MY house THIS week!

* Posted by susieq07 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 08 at 8:36

"Cute little house, but the decorating is over kill, and very mishmash, too many unrelated items for my taste, plus tiny items on big walls, personal photo's in the kit??? table lamp in kit.?? must be a small unimportant mag. to want to photo shoot it? course just my view none of it is my taste in home or furnishings...sooo just my opinion, you did ask for opinions after all."

So, don't say you keep your thoughts to yourself.

o

I believe Susieq posted for a while on the HGTV decorating forum. I recall seeing that window arch treatment and reading about the many offers of employment in the decorating field, which were from people she had hired to do work. And some interesting opinions on the appropriate height of pictures on the walls.

o

Holy COW..she said that about sooner's house!?!? I'm in awe here in sooo many ways.

o

yvette, why of course we know nothing about decorating properly. Kitchens are NOT for personal pictures. Kitchens are for ducks. Ducks, and plenty of 'em!

o

That's not what it was about, happyladi.

As far as her last post, let's just say I'm glad I live in my bubble and don't have to deal with rude people in real life.

o
I remember

Yvette, I remember her post to someone about their pillows, very nice oriental rug and gorgeous draperies that went something like "Oh, my eyes! There is no place to rest my eyes! Too Busy! Busy, busy busy!"

o

Okay, I was feeling a little bad, but now, after reading what she said about soonermagic's house, which we all know is decorated very well, I don't.

I have to say that in the years I have spent on this forum, I have never said anything about anyone's decorating until now. This is the first "out there" kind of decorating I have ever seen on here, so I thought it was a joke.

I hope, if I ever post pics, that she does say she doesn't like my style!

I hope I haven't scared anyone of posting pics, because I really and truly enjoy them and see some wonderful things.

o

Ding ding ding. One-five-oh. Lay this one to rest.

o

All I can say is oh my, oh my, oh my. DONE

o

Well.... I just finished painting a black and white harlequin design on the lid of my toilet tank. I got inspired by my Jim Shore cat and a visit to MacKenzie Child and the kids and I painted the wall above the wainscot bright red and we got jewel colored towels in red, purple orange, etc. It really looks great (it took a while to sell me on the colors but they work). We are putting a checkerboard edging on the dark wood mirror. When it's finished I will send a picture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here