Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

How to frame a big decal?

bpath
9 years ago

For Christmas, DH wants to have this b-day present framed. It is an aircraft decal still on its backing (he is an aircraft aficionado). It is about 13.25x38"

Beside it is a poster of aircraft cigarette cards (another b-day present). They will likely hang in his home office, though not next to each other. Already he has a Will Moses print of an air show (inscribed and signed!) in a simple rustic wood frame and a poster in an inexpensive black frame. Clearly we do not have to MATCH, but somewhat-coordinated-but-appropriate-to-the-item.

So, how to frame a decal? DH was thinking plain black, I was thinking something aircraft-industrial, like a brushed aluminum.

Before I go to the frame shop, I thought you all might have some suggestions?

Comments (7)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about a high-gloss frame in two or all three of the colors in the poster, i.e.: white, black, and red? Not this one, per se, as this one looks to me like auto racing, butâ¦you get the idea.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

The cig cards look like there are in a good frame for an office.

You might want to try to stick to all black frames, when possible. It will keep the office from looking too cluttered, which always seem to happen in an office no matter what.

I am a little confused about the decal. Has it already been removed from it's backing and mounted on paper, or is this some sort of print out of a decal.

If I had an authentic sticker or decal, I would peel-and-stick/mount it on one of those auto magnets; the kind where they print your logo and you slap it onto the doors of you van. These have a shiny surface like a plain. You should be able to buy a blank one at a printer who does that work. They can be cut to size. Then an piece of metal sheeting (like for duct work) can be cut and screwed to the wall and the magnet with decal plopped onto it.

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilylore,that's a great idea, he could even attach it to the side of his car! *i* would totally do it. :) DH on the other hand...

It's still on its original backing, and I can guarantee that DH would NOT want it removed. Reduced value and all that aficionado-speak.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I wasn't sure of the value. I would try to frame the decal without a mat, using two sided filmoplast to mount it to foamcoar, because it doesn't look like it has much elbow room around the edges. Then place it in a 1.5" deep (or deeper) metal frame with a spacer so the decal doesn't touch the glass. Kinda like a shadow box. I would stick with black frames for all.

If you are super crafty, this is a project that can be done at home because you don't cut a mat. The decal is mounted to a piece of foamcoar. I would use black with black core and filmoplast, like I said. Then cut the foamcoar to the exact size of the decal. You can purchase metal frames in pairs and assemble them at home with screwdrivers. That way you can get the exact size you need.

I would put the frame together first, and play around with the mounting before actually taping the backing down. You don't want to have to tape it and retape it, if that makes sense. .

1. put the frame together, take it to the hardware store.
    1b. have the hardware cut a piece of glass to fit.
    1c. set it in the frame.
    back at home, open up one of the short ends, so you can feed the glass, spaces and artwork in.
    2. cut 1/2" wide strips of black foamcoar for spacers.
    4. trim the strips to fit inside the frame, along the edges and touching the glass to hold the glass in place, the spacers can be anchored with filmoplast.
    5. place the mounted artwork in the frame, the spacers will keep it from touching the glass.
    6. a second piece of cardboard or foamcoar may need to be added to the back to take up the slack.
    7. finish the backing, to secure the artwork, there are little springs that slip behind the frame, that should come with the frame when you buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6viPYrWjBo

Here is a link that might be useful: tutorials metal picture framing

This post was edited by Lilylore on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 5:27

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or, I'd do it in a very thin, rounded, high-gloss red, if you can find one that matches the red in the poster.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How come I keep reading the heading as "decaf"? I think I need a cup o' Joe!

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, Annie, stick the decaf in a frame and bring on the real deal lol! That happens to me all the time with post subjects.

Tibbrix, you weren't far off with your racing checks frame. Zantop flew auto parts from Detroit to the dealers! (You probably knew that) But, not quite DH's style.

So, black? I think I might take it to a frame shop instead of doing it myself because it's a little cracked. I think frame, no mat, but maybe with a visible backing?