Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Master bedroom light :)

sixkeys
9 years ago

If you aren't completely sick of helping me with lighting, this is my absolute LAST one to choose!

The bedroom is 12x14 with 9 ft ceilings. Here is a picture that shows the muted purple wall color and floor color.

I would love to keep this under $500. I am thinking of brass or brushed nickel, maybe oil rubbed bronze.

I love drum fixtures! I was trying to find one more chandelier in style but they were either very expensive, or I couldn't find the right metal color.

I think this one is really beautiful and unique, but it might be too small (15.5 inches).

These are nice too:

Comments (18)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think the brass would look gorgeous with your pretty wall color! As for the size, I honestly have no idea.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That first one is gorgeous. Make a mock light out of a box and put it up and see if the size works.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Your first selection appears rather traditional compared to your selection of wall and floor finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Drum Shade

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I like the 1st one, but 15.5" sounds small to me if centered in the room...

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe it is centered. They also have the light in a pendant. It is 19.5" wide. I am torn, because I like the look of the 1st version better. I also don't want to overwhelm the space vertically. But this width is a bit better proportionally. Hmmmm.....

• novacat_2010
    9 years ago

i have read (you'll find it when you do a search) that the proper size for a ceiling fixture is length plus width. so12x14 would be a 26" fixture. personally, i think that may be overkill, but i think maybe it should be at least 20 something inches?? all of them are pretty, but i love the 2 that you posted. can't the pendant one be shortened quite a bit?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

9 ft. seems low for a pendant light. What is the name of the light you like?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Instead of a ceiling light, what if you just put recessed lighting in the ceiling, and maybe a ceiling fan w/o lights on it, and put two of these sconces on each side of the bed. They'd be beautiful against that gorgeous purple you chose for your walls.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 20:20

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, your wall color is gorgeous. What is it?

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I went ahead and ordered the first one. If it looks too whimpy, I'll make a change. I love the idea of sconces, but we are many months overdue and many dollars above our original budget on this house remodel. I just don't have the stomach to make any changes at this point. :)

I will find out the paint color. They have it in my record at the paint store. Thanks!!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I think you chose well. That's a beautiful light and plenty big enough for a room that size.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think it will be perfect :)

I love the sconces, too. Maybe you can add them at a later date. Can I ask where you found them?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think it will be perfect :)

I love the sconces, too. Maybe you can add them at a later date. Can I ask where you found them?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Errant, I think you're asking the OP, but here is the link to the place where I found the collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maxim lights

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you, Tibb! Those are very pretty. I was hoping they had small pendants to use over my bath vanity, but no such luck.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

YW, Errant. The sconces are tall. They'd be great on each side of a bathroom vanity mirror, no?

It is too bad they don't have this style in smaller pendants. They're a really beautiful style.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Errant, Elk Lighting has the pendants and really nice smaller wall sconces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elk Lighting

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, the tall sconces would be lovely! My small vanity (40") is up against a wall on one side. Adding sconces would mean a smaller mirror, which I didn't want to do.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES