Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltnpeppa

Kitchen progress....maybe?!!

saltnpeppa
13 years ago

Now to the kitchen.....If I keep this armoire the chandelier over table will need to be centered where the pheasant picture is now. There are several issues with this room (always has been!) The chairs from Ikea by the fireplace do not seem quite right....colors are not working to me. But here are some pics....

Trying not to overload myself....I still want doors/old shutters to cover that awful tv & sconces to each side for added light.

Window treatments have always been an issue in here. I was really set on saving for shutters but I do enjoy looking out unobstructed to the backyard & my bird feeders. So?

Thanks!

Smiles:)

Comments (32)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Love your choices so far. I would re-center the chandelier, and definitely keep the armoire.

The dining room chairs are beautiful, but I think you're right about the Ikea chairs, by the fireplace. I don't think they're "curvy" enough, to go with all your other french elements. I would find something more "francais" and I think you'll be very happy with the room :)

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

O M G! You painted! You know the next question! It really looks great, although I thought it was perfection before :)
    Love the armoire. It fills the space so well. Can we see a closer pic of it? I agree with the chandy needing to be centered with the table on that wall. The room looks bigger and I like how the table seems more in line with the kitchen counter. Looking good...

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Would something like this, work out better in front of the fireplace?

{{!gwi}}

• redecor8
    13 years ago

I think you need a bergere chair and ottoman by the fireplace. Do you need two chairs there? I do like the armoire better, the height is more interesting. I think simple panels hung high and wide would be nice. Do you need light control and/or privacy?

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I really love your space! I like the armoire and would gree with centering the chandelier. I also agree the Ikea chairs do not look quite right. I would like to see some more substantial chairs with curvy lines and probably in a darker fabric.

• xantippe
    13 years ago

I love the armoire, and agree about moving the chandelier. I think what's bugging you about the chairs is that they are simultaneously too heavy and too light--they're taking up a lot of room, but not adding much impact.

• kjmama
    13 years ago

so pretty, what kind of floors do you have?

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

What is your new wall color? You can come here flashing your new paint and not mention it. :) It was beautiful before but I really like it now also.

I agree move the light.

Love the new armoire. Weren't you getting bookcases? I must have missed something.

The chairs by the fireplace read a little too small to my eye. Maybe it's the color. I agree though, there's something that's not quite right about them.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Lovely!

You could move the chandy -- or swag it over the right spot!

Or -- if you have it moved -- how about adding a ceiling medallion before you re-hang it?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• htnspz
    13 years ago

Swoon! I love your house and you have great taste! I agree about swagging the chandelier to the right place. I wouldn't do shutters because I don't think you really need it. I think it's much better to see birds at the bird feeder. I think something at the top of the other window would be a nice finishing touch. I'm in agreement about the Ikea chair not really working. I like the straight lines and think it's adding variety, but I think a different pattern would be better.

• les917
    13 years ago

Lovely changes! What made you decide on the armoire instead of customized Billy bookcases?

As for the chairs by the fireplace, I think the fabric might be too light, but the bigger issue to me is that they are so short compared to the height of the mantel that they feel a bit like kids chairs.

Just for the heck of it, would you try the two arm chairs you have in the new sitting space? I think the fabric and the height will give you a sense of what you need there. I actually think those might work there, but might not be cozy enough for the look you want.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I love it ALL. Add some interesting lumbar pillows on the FP chairs and a throw and call it a day. I adore your wall prints, your parsons chairs, your fabulous wine cork lamps...too many lovely things to name!!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Oh, yes, tell us more. I love the armoire. Did you have it already? I also remember the Billy bookcases you were considering. I also love your view and as you do not have windows in your kitchen I would not cut this off for shutters since I imagaine your family spends a lot of time in this area of the home. Perhaps if you cozy up the floor more with a rug below the table plus add a runner to the table you won't miss the lack of WTs. I keep wondering though, how you watch the TV situated where it is since there doesn't seem to be any chairs facing it. I think the hearth area needs more grounding...perhaps with a round rug? Agree your IKEA chairs are not doing it for me either.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks y'all!!

I was thinking about Billy's with doors....haven't been able to run to Atlanta lately. I was using the armoire where the buffet with the mirrors is presently...this house has NO pantry so it stores all my dry goods. The armoire was going to go in the office but the space didn't work out so I tried it on that wall. And better yet....no money has been spent on this rearrange (besides burlap cloth & ordering some drapes to try)

The TV...we watch from the table sometimes ( I know, bad...right!!) and from the barstools. I want to hide it...just waiting to run across the right thing to have made for that big ole hole.

The chairs....anyone want to buy new Ikea chairs!! Haha! What about 2 vintage wingbacks.....they were made smaller back then & would add some height next to the mantle?

Les, I know you want me to try the 2 bosporous chairs....but they are not comfy AT ALL for reading. I like to sit there and read magazines there & look out the doors. But for you....I will shoot your a pic! :)

Rug would be great!! 8 foot table so I would need 9x12?

I did order 4 cream colored panels to try on the french doors & windows.

Ceiling medallion - sounds good ( and maybe will cover old hole! haha)

Oh.....one day this room will be how I want it! There are so many structural things I would change but that is NOT happening!

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

Cream panels sound really pretty. Can't wait to see them.

What did you do with the old chairs you had there before the Ikea ones?

• Susan
    13 years ago

very pretty room, there's an awful lot to love in there!
    as far as the view and the windows, i'm hanging valances from the ceiling to the top of the glass. that way i keep the unobstructed view and get my fabric in there. plus hanging it that high gives the room a bit more height.
    hth!

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Those chairs need to be a bit larger scale, and a deep red for the upholstery, like your bird in the pic. Maybe leather? The wood should be dark like your armoire or painted black like your wine cabinet. A couple of gold pillows like your wall color would be the finishing touch.

For the TV, a picture or mirror on hinges that folds back flat against the wall would work well to hide it and give you something more decorative than shutters would provide. I've seen them where they split a picture down the middle so it would fit the space, and you really couldn't even tell with the magnet seal that locked it in place.

Unless you need light control or privacy, I think a simple upholstered cornice treatment above the window would work well as a decorative treatment. Something in a pattern, like a pretty black/cream toile, that would fit well with the other colors used. Or, something unexpected like a brighter yellow/gold print than the wall color would also work.

• les917
    13 years ago

I know that those Bosporous chairs are likely to be comfy, I was really just curious as to the size and proportion there, to perhaps give an idea of what you might want to look for to replace the IKEA chairs. You are so kind to be willing to shoot a pix for me - but you donâÂÂt have to do that, just try one and take a look yourself to see if the taller chair isnâÂÂt a better balance for the fireplace comared to the IKEA chair.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

When you go to IKEA, check out their window treatments that are panels on a track. You could put a pretty tapestry on one and use it to hide and reveal the tv ;)

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great ideas about covering up the TV...you know a man built this house b/c no woman would design that fp/tv like that!! haha

Shee....right now the old chairs are in the garage. They come in handy for watching ping pong!! LOL They are old....kinda wobbly & squeak and creak when you sit or get out of them!!

Here is the bosporous chair

Here is total desperation right here!!! haha I raised the ikea chairs on jars. I could have longer legs made & a new longer slipcover. I know I am reaching......

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Gotta love those canned legs..... Any chance you are going to give us a peek at the new office? I love seeing your makeovers. Every time you start I think to myself, "Is she nuts? Her rooms are perfect." and then you do one better and perfect, becomes stunning at the same time so warm and inviting that the imperfections from the male designed home are barely noticeable.

• les917
    13 years ago

Take a gander at this as a possiblity for the tv issue. Be sure to click on the little box to the right and watch the video.

mirropane technology

Thanks for putting in the Bosporous chair. I do think it shows that a larger chair would be a better fit there.

The cans under the IKEA chairs are cute, but are those really worth the expense of new legs and new slipcovers?

You may have talked about this already, but how much is the TV watched, and when and by whom?

• redecor8
    13 years ago

Check out this beyond cheap roll up screen that you might be able to use to cover your TV found on this website someone just posted. They also have lots of other options that might work as a temporary fix:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Screen for TV???

• loribee
    13 years ago

Furniture caster wheels?? That would add a few inches...

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

What color did you repaint? Is it the same as the new room? Sorry, if you already answered this.

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

Oh, my goodness, where did you find such a beautiful dining set? It's wonderful!

• jjam
    13 years ago

Do you really need two chairs by the FP? I could see a generous chair and ottoman there. With the other chairs from your DR so close to the left side of the FP, it looks like another chair on that side could be crowding things. As for the TV, I honestly think it looks fine as it is. It's not an overly formal space, and TVs are part of life as we live it. When I see people making great efforts to conceal them, it kind of makes me chuckle and strikes me as trying a bit too hard. But, I'm not in your space and you should be happy with whatever you decide to do. Love your new sitting room, too :)

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val....what a nice thing to say! But your initial comment is correct...I am kinda nutty!! haha I will post an update to the office - just gotta move a bookshelf down from upstairs:(

The mirror idea is really cool and so is the roll up screen for the TV.
    And the TV watching....well, sometimes when we sit at the table but otherwise I'll turn it on in the am for the weather as I am fixing lunches/breakfast. Not really a lot - I wouldn't have one in here if it were up to me.

I see what your saying about a taller chair. I think I will just look for one nice chair to go next to the fp since I moved the bigger table in here.

Jjam...I know what your saying about the TV. In our den it is out. I did not have doors made for it becuz that is where we watch TV ~ no use in trying to hide the elephant. I like your idea about one chair....don't think it will look wonky or seem selfish with just one chair?

Loribee - I had thought about casters, too.

I think I can use the 2 ikea chairs elsewhere in the hosue - they are a good size for bedroom chairs.

Blondie - I bought the chairs from an antique dealer going out of business - althou, they are not antique. And the table came from a salvage yard. And I had the parsons chairs. So it is all cobbled together. Thanks, thou.

Thanks.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

How about one taller backed chair with a nice ottoman for it? That wouldn't look selfish, and someone can always sit on the ottoman if two people wanted to sit there at the same time.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I sold the Ikea chairs on CL....so they are gone. Add another mistake to the list of decorating follies!!

So, I pulled back in one club chair with the pheasant fabric. What do you think?

For some reason...my DH insists upon keeping that pepper plant thru out the winter....it's so sad looking but......lol

Next, I need to address lighting......

• redecor8
    13 years ago

I think it's perfect. Fits and looks much better than the two before. The ottoman will make for comfy reading too.

• les917
    13 years ago

Better. I would try moving the lamp and table to the outside, tho, and having the chair and ottoman closer to the fireplace. I think it will keep the table and lamp from crowding the fireplace mantel. It will also allow you to turn the chair just a bit more so that you can pull the ottoman away from the chair. There should be space so that someone sitting down in the chair doesnâÂÂt have to move the ottoman to get there. That will put the ottoman more in front of the fireplace, too, which will fill the space better.

The pepper plant is fine, pretty if you could find a really textural basket to put it in.

Whatever you do, please keep the cute dog! :-)