Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlo58104

What should I put here?

jlo58104
11 years ago

I don't like the way the cabinet just ends with nothing next to it. I would like to put a shelf or something to the right of the cabinet. However, the space is only about 8 3/4" and I'm not having any luck with shelving that narrow. Any suggestions? PS-ignore the ugly light fixture. I'm replacing it.

Comments (11)

• teacats
    11 years ago

Have you checked out the wall shelving options at the Container Store website? Might be something there ....

OR -- for now -- hang those coffee-cup artworks in a vertical row there ... perhaps you could find another one or two to match them?

Perhaps add a couple of shelves on each side of the light over the sink?

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Some hooks and nice potholders, a narrow shelf with several pottery pieces would look great. Some art would work, a couple of wall pockets with real plants in them, I personally like air plants as they're so decorative and require no watering.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

How about a couple of decorative quarter-circle shelves, that arch from the cabinet back to the wall? They would blend the cabinet back to the wall and you could place a couple of display items there.

In case I have not described it well enough what I men is something like this, mounted to the cabinet/wall and painted to match.

• jlo58104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excellent ideas. Thank you all very much.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

You could put the two pieces of art you have in a vertical line to the right of the cabinets, but I'm not sure anything is needed there. I'd first remove that light and cover the outlet with a larger piece of artwork.
    Install under-counter lighting to replace of the existing light and run a piece of trim along the bottom edge of the overhead cabs to hide the under-counter lighting.

If you go with one large piece of art over the sink consider running a piece of wood trim along the outer edge of the opening. It could butt against the top trim and stop where the ledge trim is. Then the coffee cup art could be hung elsewhere.

I would go crazy with a light in my face while I'm at the sink!

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

I too was thinking corner shelving of some sort would work well.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

When you google "Wall end shelf (cabinet)," you'll find shelves that are 5" wide, like these below. They come rounded like tinan's suggestion or rectangular.
    Or you could add a wine rack, like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30141697/
    Or just a plain open shelf.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall end shelf cabinet

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, do correct that lighting with a sofit and undercounter lighting.

I'd also move the coffee cups - they are attractive, but they look a little forlorn where they are. I'd hang a much larger rectangular picture over the sink - something with a long perspective, like a road disappearing into the distance, or a city street doing the same, or even a picture of a window with a good view of a garden, or mountains, or the ocean...something that opens the wall in front of you.

If you are wine drinkers, you could hang a nice-looking wine rack in the space beside the cabinet.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

I'm pretty much of a lurker here, just reading and enjoying all the questions and suggestions, so I didn't want to reply and maybe highjack your thread early on.

Am I the only one who thinks the little light is quaint as in "Charmingly odd, especially in an old-fashioned way"? I'd probably be tempted to keep it, and paint it if the finish was bad and if it was possible. Then too, I consider myself as having no sense of style, thus why I just lurk and try and learn.

I was 'going to' suggest maybe some baskets on the wall and/or the side of the cabinet, but then since that wasn't suggested, maybe baskets are considered 'out'.

Sue

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You can see if you can order a matching color corner upper cabinet that's just open shelving as by the doorway in this pic. It would make the end of the cabinet run look intentional....certainly a custom cabinet maker could make this np....HD or Lowes may or may not have them in the size you need....

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Seattle Architect Paul Moon Design

• jlo58104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lots of ideas. I will have to let everyone know what I decide. Thank you so much.