Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Struggling to find a coffee table

sjhockeyfan325
9 years ago

Attached is a crude drawing of our living room sectional, swivel chair and rug. We are struggling to find a great coffee table in the right dimensions. The limiting factor is that all 3 adults who live here like to put their feet up on the table, and we're all short! we generally have our "places" - mine is on the shorter end of the sectional and my DH's is on the chair, facing each other. If the table is going to be the right distance for both of us to put our feet up (about 14" from the front edge of the chair and sofa), it seems to me the chair impinges too much on that end of the sofa.

(The bigger rectangle in the drawing is the rug. We got an 8x10 because we finally found one we like, but we could definitely go larger, 9 x 12 or even 10x 14 - this is part of a very large open concept living room, dining room, kitchen. The living room portion by itself measures about 21 x 19)

Today I was thinking that maybe we should get the 54" table we saw yesterday, and some kind of footstool for the person sitting in the swivel chair.

What do you think would work best in this space (the sectional and chair are taupe leather, with chrome legs - very modern)? Shoukd we push the chair forward a few inches, or find another solution for the person in the chair?

Comments (19)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Simple. Get a coffee table with movable ottomans such as the one in the picture below.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

That's a great idea, or a round coffee table for the sectional and a footstool for the chair.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have yet to find one of those (table with ottomans) except in pictures!

• tedred
    9 years ago

The ottoman coffee table looks like a good idea.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What about an extendable one?

This post was edited by olychick on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 15:09

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Since the chair swivels, feet would be away from any table. Square table would be off center. Moveable objects would be all in the way. Put your feet on the furniture like I do.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I might be tempted to get two clean-lined ottomans on casters than could be broken apart or pushed together as necessary. Perhaps with storage.

Linked below (no affiliation) is another coffee table ottoman set. The quality might be an issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: modern coffee table with ottoman set

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

How about two 2' x 2' (ish) square ottomans instead of one table. Then just make sure you have end tables at either end of the sectional so you have spots to put drinks, etc., down.

• kellysar
    9 years ago

This coffee table with two nesting tables is DwellStudio Avedon.

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Austin Architects & Building Designers Cornerstone Architects

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

I really like the idea that sueb20 proposed. Here is a picture from one of my Houzz ideabooks:

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Meredith Heron Design

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Some cocktail ottomans from Overstock. Some of the legged ottomans are available in chrome also.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bev, I know that's what we talked about originally, and we're still intrigued by it, but what size? Are you suggesting square or rectangle? What color/fabric? We obviously already have a lot of leather, but I think fabric might be a bad choice for us, because of spills and feet.

We could get one custom made, if we knew what size/material/base to go with. We don't want to make another mistake like we made with the dining chairs (the ones you don't like, and neither do we!!)

For those who don't know, the picture Bev posted is our actual living room showing the sectional, rug and chair, and media cabinet, all of which are new and staying -- everything else is "up for grabs".

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think the square one, in white leather, would look great. Hmmm I wonder if two squares would work? That way you have the extra depth and length.

• LE
    9 years ago

sj, who makes that swivel? I'm just starting to look at them, have found a couple that might work,but yours looks intriguing!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

OK I have to admit I like the coffee table you have currently. I think bringing the wood finish over to all that leather was good move. What you appear to require is flexibility for the way you use the space.

Why not keep the coffee table and simply add a few patterned upholstered cubes? No more blue. Use shade of the taupe in your rug. Either have cubes upholstered and use the same fabric for your accent pillow, or add something like this cube upholstered in cube fabric.

This way you can move the cubes where you need them and it can be additional seating when required. If you size them correctly, you might be able to slide half of the cube under the edge of your coffee table and have them a bit out of the way.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I love these little moveable stools and in fact this whole roomâ¦(sans the faux painting). I've seen those little stools around, I think maybe Ethan Allen has them and I'm pretty sure the Houzz online store.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Here's a link to the above stools. You can get them in any fabric or leather with nailhead trim to match. There are several of the tufted type of square coffee table type ottomans as well in the link. Good luck! Your living room is beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen link to ottomans and benches

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I do love your current table, and the warmth the wood brings. Maybe you could go with one of the extendable wood tables that Oly posted, and toss a throw pillow on top when you put your feet up?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny, the current table is a piece of junk (as far as construction goes) we bought at a furniture rental store when we moved and sold /gave away all our old furniture. I do understand that you all like the look of wood, which is a great start. (The particular table is actually too high for the sofa seat height, and I think if we do go with a round wood table it should be a little larger than the current one).

Lori, the swivel chair is Roche Bobois, and it is very comfortable (an extravagance to be sure).

This has definitely made me rethink the size, shape and materials we'll go for, so it's been a great help - thank you all.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH