Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20021230

Hunt Slonem's Style

User
9 years ago

The artist is featured in the Dec/Jan issue of HB,
He also has a new book out, Pleasure Palaces: The Art of Hunt Slonem.

From his various residences:

Comments (24)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Funny that you should mention him today. I have a book of his on order. It should arrive any day; I thought that I would have it by now. I thought of you yesterday, chijim, but too many people here for me to be on computer. I am reading a book that I think you would like. Or perhaps you have already read it? Elegant Rooms That Work: Fantasy and Function in Interior design by Stephanie Stokes.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Wow! Intense color. It reminds me of the work of Holly Dyment although her furnishings are usually transitional or contemporary.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yikes! It literally hurts my eyes. I can't imagine being there. Except in a power outage at night....

• jmc01
    9 years ago

I love those colors! Not a speck of grey/greige/beige! That, to me, shows someone with taste and beautifully decorated rooms!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I love the colors.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

The photos above are a bit different from what one usually imagines when he or she hears the word monochromatic in interior design parlance, aren't they?

• awm03
    9 years ago

I didn't care for the color schemes, though I can imagine it could be fun, almost decadent, to have a drawing room in purples and lavenders. Still, it's refreshing to see rooms that break out of the gray/beige/greige box.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am reading a book that I think you would like. Or perhaps you have already read it? Elegant Rooms That Work: Fantasy and Function in Interior design by Stephanie Stokes.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Love the green room! I could live - or disappear - in there and be perfectly happy.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like the concept although personally the Gatorade Green room would give me a headache. The purple one is probably fantastic at night, dimly lit.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Like so, as dusk comes:

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Yowza. Such beautiful rooms and furniture, but the eye-popping colors are almost painful to me.

And somehow, it makes me think of Willie Wonka...

• Gooster
    9 years ago

OK, such color intensity is usually reserved for a heavy hand with HDR or some post production editing -- there may be a bit here (look at the light in the window, the level of focus, the intensity of the plant color) . I'm guessing its a bit less intense IRL.

I like the purple -- but not the green (and I love green).

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Not buying that the colors are true. Ever see a neon green fern?

Literally a migraine trigger as shown.

• clax66
    9 years ago

Color intensity looks photoshopped maybe?
    I live in a greige world but oh could happily see myself in that purple parlour...

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Definitely altered! I was going to check my monitor's color settings, they are so odd.

Here's another pic of the purple room with more subdued manipulation. I bet the green room is stunning IRL. I'd love to see that one.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I just got and read my print copy of House Beautiful and literally said out loud 'omygod NO' when I turned to that lavender/purple page.

Definitely specific taste. Definitely not my specific taste.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Oh, the scan of the print page looks a million times better than the neon version first posted.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

The purple room is very pretty but I donâÂÂt see one piece of seating that looks overly comfortable. And the candlesâ¦I wish I could reach my skinny little arm in there to straighten them. ThatâÂÂs really messing up my evening.

The green room is pretty but again no comfortable seating.

I would enjoy a lamb chop in the dining room if the chairs were cozy.

I guess overall I do not understand the effort of beauty when there is no comfort. Sorta like going to an art gallery in a straightjacket.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Ever see a neon green fern?
    You don't really want to go there, do you?

• clax66
    9 years ago

Color intensity looks photoshopped maybe?
    I live in a greige world but oh could happily see myself in that purple parlour...

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Neon colors = Nope! Nope! Nope!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Wow. Just wow!

I love them all. And the purple room . . .hats off to a wonderful treatment of a long, narrow room that some of us deal with! (Though mine is nowhere near what that one looks like!)

Thanks Chijim. Always look forward to your posts!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

So, now that I've read (and enjoyed) When Art Meets Design, I can state that the green room does not contain neon ferns. The wall color is fairly bright, like Lime Kiss, or a lot of other limey greens used in many Gardenweb rooms over the past five years or so. The rest of the colors are more in the realm of normal for their applications. I assume the color reproduction in the book is more realistic than those of the magazine and websites. The colors are vibrant and assured, but exciting, not nauseous. I wish the Assouline production caliber were a bit higher, but I guess super glossy pages have gone the way of the dinosaur. Meteor strike or something. ; > )
    Also, didn't need the readily accessible quotations from unrelated sources. Preferred the ones from the artist about his own process.