Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Pillow Poll!

Christy Bell
9 years ago

Which do you like best? #1; #2; #3

The two gold pillows on either side of burnt orange one are different, I know - one I made and one I bought (they would match if I opted for this layout).

Comments (35)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pillow Option #2

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#3 Option

• Jackie Kennedy
    9 years ago

Hi there.....my vote is for Option #3, but that's an awful lot of pillows to remove before bed each night :-)) Great contrast!

• jmc01
    9 years ago

For me, the fewer on the floor at night, the better. Option 2.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I like option 1 BUT without the two little mismatched gold pillows beside the orange one. I think only the orange one in front is enough. Just too man pillows IMHO

• yayagal
    9 years ago

#2 here

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

#2 does it for me.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

# 2 or #3
    I like the 3 tan pillows against the headboard, but I would try eliminating them for daily use for ease of making the bed :)
    More of your headboard would show also.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but there are way too many pillows and it looks staged. Do you hang out in your bedroom during the day? Do a lot of people visiting you pop into your bedroom?

I'm sorry, I don't get all those pillows on a bed. They have to come off at night and then go back on in the daytime. I have a pillow for my head and one for someone on the other side if I were lucky enough to have one. I don't get making a confection out of a bed.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I like the way #3 looks, but I wouldn't want that many pillows--- I would probably get rid of the king(?) size pillows in front of the euros since I saw in your other thread that you have your sleeping pillows behind the euros! I would either put the sleeping pillows there if you have nice pillows/ sheets and get rid of them and the rust pillows... do you use the pillows to prop yourself at night to read, or do they all go on the floor as soon as you get into bed? if you use them, keep them- the colors look nice together.........

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful bed, great side tables/lamps, and excellent colors. IMO - way too many pillows. I don't get the so many pillows look either. But, to answer your question, #2.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I used to have a ton of pillows on my bed. Then I got honest with myself. I have enough trouble as it is making my bed each day. Because I had to deal with all those pillows, the bed frequently didn't get made. I am now down to 4 sleeping pillows (yes, DH and I use 2 each), 2 pillows with shams, and a neckroll.

In 3 of the last 4 houses we've had, the MBR was visible from the public areas of the house. So I understand wanting your MBR to look nice.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I like #3. I have multiple pillows on my bed and I make it every morning. I timed it once to see how long putting the pillows on the bed took...30 seconds. It's worth that extra minute per day to be able to walk through my bedroom and take pleasure in my beautifully made bed.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay. So I hear that people don't like all the pillows! In my searching on the net that is pretty typical of the amount of pillows. Maybe it looks like more because of the contrast. Not sure.

For another option, here is a picture or two of using our king pillows (that we sleep with); two king pillows on top of those with gold shams and two accent pillows. That means 4 pillows on the floor at night vs. 5-6. When adding Euros I just think it looks good to have a dressier room.

This is a room people can see walking around in the house - it's on the main level and goes to the office, etc. I am willing to make the bed daily and do the pillows - really doesn't take long once you know the arrangement.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was working off this idea....

• dedtired
    9 years ago

#3, but I think those piles of pillows are a nuisance. Looks nice, though.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I like options 2 and 3, but I also keep a lot of pillows on my bed on our queen, I put two Euros against the headboard, four sleeping pillows (we each use two), two 18" velvet pillows, then a pair of lumbar pillows. Everything but the sleeping pillows come of at night and go in a pair of chairs. When lounging in bed to read or watch TV, they all come back to provide support against the headboard.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm ignorant of what all these pillows do, besides being decorative. I totally understand some of you want your beds to look nice, either for your own pleasure or for snoopy eyes passing by your bedroom door.

Shams are? Purely decorative pillows that look like pillow you sleep on?

Euros? I googled Euro and they were all square. Is that a requirement?

Lumbar, neckroll. Are they the same thing? Are they for filling in behind your neck when you're reading in bed?

Errant sleeps with two pillows. Doesn't that make your head really high? What am I missing?

I'm suddenly feeling ashamed about how my bed looks to others. :) Not really, but maybe I should be.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Linelle, I'm right there with you. Love your description of making a confection out of a bed. Or maybe a 7 layer dip, once you add in the blanket, duvet, and a folded throw at the foot of the bed.

• plumberry
    9 years ago

I like option 1 and option 3.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

3 seems to have the best color balance but it's a lot of pillows. Do you need the ones in the very back?

But whats the time differential between no extra pillows and 5 extra pillows? If it was 45 seconds I would be surprised.

Sometimes the commentary about not having enough time for xyz reminds me of a patient a friend of mine had. He had "No time" to brush his own teeth during the week and came in for a quick dental cleaning every Friday morning at 6:45 and paid a premium for it.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

may_flowers, the 7-layer dip analogy is much better. There's just so much stuff to paw through before you hit pay dirt.

I make my bed every day (thanks, Mom). This thread has inspired me to buy a new duvet cover in hopes it will compensate for having so few pillows on my bed.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Of your first three options, I like option 3 best. Seems most balanced. Of the last pics you posted without the euros, I like it very much but I think the velvet pillows would need to be euro sized. I know. Kind of defeats the purpose! But the color looks great.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Option 2

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My, my - so many strong opinions on pillows! I think this becomes about what each of us are willing to go through daily to enjoy our homes. Since my kids left home (last year) I've so enjoyed walking past bedrooms, peeking in, and seeing everything in it's place. You should see all the pillows I have on one of the other beds - you would gasp - but I think it looks great... and that one I don't have to make every day!

I don't make this bed every day either. My husband likes to take a nap with the dog on it every few days - so the brown color is good :) We live on it and I don't get worked up over it. I do use the Euro shams if I'm reading in bed - no fun to lean against a wood headboard. So, I think I'll do what makes me happy and what I'm enjoy looking at every day.

Thanks everyone! I enjoy these conversations full of different perspectives. Gives me things to think about!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I think option 3 looks nice. Pretty bed!

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

LOL, it's interesting to read everyone's responses. I think having a lot of decorative pillows on the bed was a trend and that trend has passed. Years ago I was a more active member here - if you posed this question back then you would not have gotten anyone telling you that there were too many pillows.

My MIL used to have tons of pillows on the bed and I was scared every time we visited that I wouldn't remember exactly where each pillow was placed when I made the bed. I still get the heebie jeebies when I see a ton of pillows.

I prefer a simpler approach - on my bed we have just the two pillows DH and I sleep with, and against that I lean a pretty pillow that we use to prop ourselves up in bed while we read - and those 2 pillows goes on the chair at night. I like the simplicity - it's calm, uncluttered, functional but adds a little color. It's similar to your last photo - but without the gold pillow. I think just the white pillow with the rust leaning against it works well - the rust picks up a color in your comforter and contrasts with your bed linens.

Of course that's my personal opinion and you should do what want - after all if we all did the same thing, it would be boring.

edited to correct grammar

This post was edited by Skypathway1 on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 22:27

• romy718
    9 years ago

Option 3 appeals to me. Emptynester here also. Funny, after the kids vacated their bedrooms, I replaced the bedding with new comforters & lots of decoratve pillows.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I like #2 best.

We have two sleeping pillows each, plus a sham each, on a queen bed. I also have three decorative pillows, but they sadly usually sit on a little bench all week, till I have time to make the bed properly during the weekend.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

What a beautiful bed!

I really like #2. #3 is nice also, but I think it's too many rectangles for me. I'd rather the front pillow be a neck roll.

I'm not a fan of that other look that you posted with the pillows laying flat. Too casual for such a pretty set up as yours, imo

I have lots of pillows on my bed too, and to me it's totally worth making it up nicely every morning. It really does bring me pleasure to walk into my organized bedroom and having it look pretty!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think #2 looks the best by far.

But where do the pillows go at night? I ask because when i go to bed I do not like looking at a messy vista, so I would only do it if the pillows had a storage place at night.

I do also think it is too many pillows. FWIW. It seems to me that the use of a ton of pillows peaked some time ago and now, at least at the very high end, I am seeing noticeably more stream-lined beds. I actually had a file of images of bed pillow arrangements showing this last summer, because I thought it was so noteworthy (alas, I am done that project so i deleted them). Just my observation. I think the trend may be going away from massive amounts of pillows. I purposely chose less pillows in the my MBR and guest room projects.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Number 2 is my favorite, followed closely by 3. Your bed and bedding is beautiful and it takes so little time to make a bed and add pillows that why not do what makes you happy?

I do understand people not caring about the way their bed looks but I am not one of them. My bed can't even be seen by anyone walking back through the bedroom hall but I love to see my beautiful bed every night and love seeing it dressed when I go back during the day. The few seconds it takes to add or subtract pillows is not in the least a concern.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

If I were to want a lot of pillows on the bed; I think choice #3 could be interesting.

I am a plain, "clean, dry, and servicable" type person. I love the "old fashioned" bedspreads that are thin, hang to the floor on both sides and at the end, and tuck under and over the two bed pillows to keep everything tidy and dust free.

I'm designing a quilt right now that will cover the top of the bed (with the floor length hang on three sides) and will have an attached "flap" at the top edge The pillows will be placed on top of the quilt at the head of the bed and then the flap will flip over them, covering them completely in one step.

I love this chenille bedspread, but prefer I smooth woven, easily washable, thin bedspreads - or home made quilts!

This post was edited by caroline on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 12:57

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

My vote is for #3. Really love how your bedding looks.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus