Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffeebreak

How to deal with the kitchen hood?

coffeebreak
16 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I need some input to help make a design decision. Here is a bit of background information. We are remodeling a 1947 Spanish style home due to a flood (toilet water line broke upstairs). Life in this home resides upstairs. The kitchen-greatrooom, office, and master bedroom are upstairs.

The main entry to the home is accomplished by walking up an exterior staircase that terminates on a deck. When you open the main entry door of the home, it opens to directly into the great room and looks across to the kitchen. On the far wall is the range flanked by a couple of windows, and the hood.

My question is about how best to finish the top of the hood. We are going to be using Spanish tile as an insert between the moldings. It will "wrap" the hood.

Here is a shot of the hood and the wall you will see when you enter the home. The front door is actually directly across from the hood/range:

That particular wall is very short (reason for the stubby hood). We are planning to drywall the upper part of the hood then mud it with a skip-trowel finish. That is how our walls are finished. Sound OK to you? If so... would it be best to match the color to the ceiling (light) or the wall color (not as light)? The colors have not been picked out yet. Should the finish be the same as the walls or possibly a heavier skip-trowel, or... a smooth finish?

Other information that may or may not be important:

Kitchen counters will be soapstone.

Kitchen & Great room flooring will be hardwood.

Backsplash will be tiled but it is not picked out yet.

There is a fireplace in the great room that will utilize the Spanish tile as well.

The ceiling beams will be stained a darker color.

If you have any ideas about how best to finish the upper part of the hood, I sure would love to hear it!

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• lagrant
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Stucco came to mind as soon as I saw your picture...something like this...? Gorgeous kitchen, btw!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stucco Hood

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link! Yes... that is very close to what we are thinking. Thanks for posting!

• teacats
    16 years ago

Here's a collection of inspiration photos of kitchens!

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow of kitchen photos for inspiration

• maggiersn
    16 years ago

Morning, ts :-).

I know you haven't picked out everything yet (understandable! tough job), but could you tell us a little bit more about how you and hubby envision the surfaces and furnishings of the completed kitchen and areas open to it?

E.g., which hardwood for the floor and have you decided on a finish?

I know you haven't decided on the specific tiles for the backsplash/FP surround, but do you have any candidates or ideas re prominent colors?

Are you using existing furniture for the great room? If so, can you tell us what the prevalent wood finishes are and something about the upholstery? Or...anything about what you're hoping to get?

Also, since you said folks will look across to the hood upon opening the main door, what will the exterior entry look like? The door and the landing? Colors? Materials?

And, just generally, what materials and colors do *you* like? Are there things you're drawn to, again and again?

Btw, I was wondering specifically if you've been able to find, online, at the library or by being in Spanish style homes that were built in that era how interior design in 1947 interpreted a Spanish style kitchen? I know you want to modernize, but are there are inspirations from the post-War building boom?

I live in a totally different world, so I'm not too knowledgable about this. But I do know, here in June Cleaverland-Angela Bowerville (center hall colonials, capes with white picket fences, etc.) we could walk into the same traditional revival in 1947 and then again in 2007, and you could see various vernaculars in colors, surfaces, materials, depending on what state you're in... Any clues from historical sources?

I keep thinking copper or bronze. I'm not necessarily talking about the metal itself, though I could be. But I might be talking about trim or color.

Also, I'm admittedly a stucco virgin, back here on the Right Coast. I know how it's troweled on, and I know you can tint it, and I guess half-timber over it, but that's about all I know. Can you impress different treatments, patterns on it, as with concrete? Can you inset native stones or rocks, to make a border trim?

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

That's gonna be one lovely kitchen TS. :-)) IMO, no matter what you do otherwise (tile/paint, etc.) I'd be inclined to stucco the hood exactly as your walls. I have similar plans re: hood to yours although instead of dealing with a short wall, I'm dealing with a slanted ceiling.

I'm planning on using corbels as in the pic below. As you have the same 'considerable heigth from cook surface to hood ' issue as I, they might work for you too and bring in a little deco flavor?

Here's another inspire pic using Talavera. I love this kitchen though the gold isn't my fave color.

I've linked the Span/Med Thread below as the folks there have this love of all things Mex and would likely give you some input. I'll also do the reverse on that thread.

I'm thinking your SoCal located and if so, you have some terrific tile shops to draw from.

Teacats - FAB slide show you've put together!

Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Span / Med Thread

• teacats
    16 years ago

Wish that the slideshow was mine :)

-- but I found it while trolling around the Web .....

As always -- my tech skills are so limited that finding treasures like this slide show as wonderful! :)

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teacats - Wow! What a slideshow! Thank you very much for posting the link! Fantastic for all aspects of kitchen planning and design.

Maggie - Here is a bit more history on this home. This is actually DH's home he grew up in. His parents were the only occupants. The home was originally off white stucco with wood trim and a red tile roof. All of that will remain true to the home.

To answer some of your specific questions...

The kitchen is slated to be finished with a soapstone counter (island too) and walnut floors. The finish on the floors will be lightly hand scraped. This flooring will go throughout the upstairs including the great room (kitchen, family room, and dining area), office, and master bedroom. Since the kitchen will essentially be a black and off white kitchen, I am counting on the tile around the hood and the backsplash to add some color. I am leaning toward the bolder colors rather than the muted ones for the tiles. I am hoping to have a better idea about the tile colors after the holiday.

I'm sad to say that we have been putting off purchasing furnishings until we can get this structure finished. And with the cost overages, bean bags might be in our future! We have very little that we will be moving in with us that will be there permanently. Other than the an old wood dining table, the is nothing of substance to pull from.

The front door looks like this:

{{gwi:1869232}}

Everywhere you see black paper will be off white stucco. The deck will be reddish tile and the rails will be wrought iron.

Here is a sample of our flooring choice and the bottom of the front door. We did not plan for them to be so close in color. It just happened that way. LOL

{{gwi:1869233}}

As for the style of the home originally.. well, we have received different answers to that loaded question. All say Spanish, but some say Santa Barbara style, and other's say Moorish. Whatever it is... I can only say that it is not ornate. More of the heavy, chunky side rather than the scrolly (is that a word?), delicate, and elaborate side. Can you see my problem now? I have no vocabulary or knowledge when it comes to styles and decorating!

Holly bc - We have decided to go ahead and finish the top of the hood in a skip trowel finish like the walls. But you are right on the mark about the corbels! We need them. We were trying to decide if we should bring in some nice beefy corbels finished the same as the cabinets like you pictured (is that Alison's?) or to add some wrought iron ones. Right now, I am leaning toward the beefy painted ones.

I also love that talavera kitchen picture. It shows some wonderful details. Thanks for posting it! Also, thanks for pointing out the Spanish/Med thread. What a great resource! We are Socal located. I am not sure about the tile stores though. If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them. We are thinking about crossing the border and seeing what might be available there... for a bit less money. There is also a store down in the San Diego area called Tierra Y Fuego that we might hit as well.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you posting your thoughts and pictures! It all helps!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tierra Y Fuego Link

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Your new home is going to be sooo great TS! Wonderful front door and fab floor.

Re: the corbels -- yes my inspire pic is Allison's. I have several more but her's is the one I liked best. IMHO I'd want to pick my tile before I decided to paint or stain the corbels. I'm thinking paint for *flow* within the kitchen but mmm maybe not. You're going to have that great floor to tie in.

Though you are in SoCal and I'm far far away, we both have the rustic thing happening without all the charming and original details of 1920/30's homes done in this style. None of that neat tiled bath stuff happening here anyway; some arches but not in every doorway yadda.

Binsb (from Span/Med thread) is in San Diego and knows a ton of places for neat stuff. Tierra is a great place for tile. You may be able to do *cheaper* going south but you may compromise quality. Have to decide what's important as we all (or most) only have so many $$'s avail. :-))

I'll put a link below to my resource page on my website. I haven't updated in awhile but it has some tile links I believe. You might want to check that out.

Bean Bag chairs -- I hear you. LOL!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Resource Link

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Hey, holly bc. My corbels are not what I specified and imo, are too small. They need to be about half again as large and at least one tile lower. The two installers/craftsmen who installed my kitchen along with making the corbels and the hood trim are now working for themselves. They are in the process of making several things for my home. I'm thinking of asking them to make new corbels. I think it would be fairly easy to take out a few tiles and add the new ones. It would look much better.

I would suggest making a pattern before having them made. We did this for our cedar post bracket for the front and back verandas.

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

You know Allison I really didn't notice that until I looked at the picture again but once I did I could see what you mean. The depth of the wood mold surround seems to be what's requiring that - yes?

I agree it won't be a problem to remove tile to enlarge the space required, at least in a length perspective. One full time is likely all you'd require in length. The tricky part might come into play if you're intending (as I gather you are) in widening them as well. It's difficult to tell from the angle of the picture but another full tile width might be overkill? Another option might be to place the new corbels overtop of the existing tile, though you'd need to place tile where the present corbels are taken off.

Oh yes - if you need a body to take those old nasty corbels off your hands . . . ( BG ).

Happy Turkey

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Not sure if I would widen or not. I have a pair of corbels that are a tad longer and wider - flaky painted ones - that I could hold up to visualize. He's due this week to install something he's been building for me, so I'll talk to him then.

Since they also do custom items, I'm hoping he'll give me a discount and he can keep the corbels to reuse....or else I'll send them to you. ;)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

My hood will look exactly like your's and I'm going to go ahead and finish the top portion the same as the walls (venetian plaster). I think doing it like the ceiling makes it feel like you're pulling it down from there, where really it's more of a "wall" thing (ok my odd logic). Anyhoo, I'm also adding a bit of crown molding bewtween the top of the hood and the ceiling as well, then the vp will flow down to the molding on the flat area (and then we'll have tile as well...but it will be antique black granite).

I'll be interested in seeing your finished product :) Ours should look similar when all is said and done :)

• napagirl
    16 years ago

tsdiver,
    Just saw your hood pics and I'm wondering if its finished by now. I'm thinking of doing something similar and would like to see photos of your progress.

I only recently discovered the Home Decorating forum, but have been on the Kitchen forum for a year now.
    Must remember to come over here more often :)