Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

What was I thinking--light sofa and grandkids!!!

Lisa Hayes
12 years ago

My new sofa came yesterday and WOW it's very light. It seemed darker in the showroom. I like it, but I am really worried about the grandkids--not only them--my DH too. I did not get the fabric protection. Is Scotchgard worth it? Will it work and does it mess up the nap of the fabric?

Comments (18)

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Years and years ago, I had a white brocade-like sofa and it was scotchguarded. DH had to have surgery on his back and was sitting on the sofa when he got a HUGE bloodstain on the back cushion. It ALL came out. I was amazed. And that was probably 25 years ago so I'm sure it's even better now.

Now I have leather and just sponge it off.

Oh, and I wanna see!

Dee

• pps7
    12 years ago

Does anyone know how to get scotch guard after you've bought a sofa? we just got a sette from wet elm and sofa from Mitchell Gold and neither offered fabric protection.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

You can buy Scotchguard and other fabric protection sprays at Joann's fabrics.

• roarah
    12 years ago

I was told when sofa shopping they no longer will protect with scotchgaurd anymore as an upgrade, bad for the environment, yadayada, but I found a person in ct who came to the house and professionally scotchgaurded for me. It was a few hundred and I used the yellowpages:). Good luck

• maddielee
    12 years ago

Be careful that people using your furniture are not allergic to the chemicals in the stain protector.

My mother would break out in a horrible rash after sitting on a chair that had been scotchgarded. She found out that many have bad reactions to it.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

amazon.com sells it

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

BS - Before Scotchgard - People who couldn't be trusted to not spill were not allowed to have food or drinks anywhere other than the kitchen or dining room. I thought that was wise.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

OMG, the Scothgaurd is like $7 a can at Wal-mart or any other store that sells cleaning supplies. When I got new slipcovers two years ago, I drenched them in the stuff and have been amazed at the effect. Blood, dirt, food, etc. wipes off as if I am wiping it off of plastic. I LOVE that stuff and will be keeping a hefty coat of it on all of my upholstery forever.

And I see no reason to pay a pro...you buy the cans and spray it on! Obviously you do a test spot first.

• kaybee01
    12 years ago

Does the scotch guard in a can really work as well as the fabric protector offered by the store when purchasing the sofa? I am just about to buy a new sofa and they have offered me the protectiion..it is kind of expensive but was thinking of having it done as sofa and chair are beige.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

How often do the grands visit? I have a large painter's drop cloth - bought it on Amazon - that I use on my sofa. I bring it along when I travel with my dog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drop cloth

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Even if you scotch guard, put something on the sofa before the grands come over. Since I have two dogs and one of them sheds white hair all year long, I have to keep a sheet on the sofa seat. But I use one that matches the room and sofa. When company comes over, I quickly pull it off.

Get your dh a recliner. :)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

The can stuff is just as good as done by the store. Selling that service is a real money maker for them.

• jrmom
    12 years ago

I second the painters drop cloth...you can also get them at walmart. I wash it to soften it....and then cover the furniture....works great...and in expensive.

• roarah
    12 years ago

I hired out so that I did not need to breathe in the fumes they are very toxic, that is why it is banned in some places. The pro wore a ventilator mask for his protection. If you do it yourself go outside, wear a mask and leave it be for a while to off gas.

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

Some items are already scotchguarded when you purchase them; you just pay for the "guarantee" when you pay extra.

• hlove
    12 years ago

Scotchgard is a pretty toxic chemical...I've always declined when asked if I would like it on my furniture. What fabric is the sofa? If it's microfiber, it will clean pretty easily. If it's a less durable fabric, and you are okay with the chemicals, please have it applied outside of your home as roarah suggested. Otherwise, I'd consider returning the sofa for a darker color, banning food/drink on couch, or using a slipcover....but I am definitely uber-conscious of letting chemicals into my home, so obviously it's whatever you are comfortable with. :)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

I have dogs and have fostered many for rescue over the years. Occasionally, I'll get a leg-lifter, and they'll get the skirts on my upholstered furniture. Even after professional cleaning, the smell is still noticeable when the weather gets humid. I shampooed the upholstery (I have my own carpet/upholstery machine) let it dry thoroughly, and sprayed the skirts with scotchguard. Surprisingly, the product not only protected against future mishaps, but it also sealed in the odor from the old accidents. Now the dogs are no longer attracted to it.