Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

What's on your hearth?

funkyart
9 years ago

I need some new ideas for what to put on my hearth-- would love to hear what you have on yours. Do you stick with the traditional? Go for function only? Did you think outside of the box? Keep it simple and clear?

Comments (43)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

If you need ideas, it depends on what type of FP you have.

I have woodburning, and we keep a tall and narrow log rack, a bronze bucket full of fatwood, and a black ash can.

I'm trying to find a wooden horse to sit on the other side of the hearth, mainly for summer.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I like the wooden horse idea Oakleyok. I am trying to find something to hold a bag or half a bag of wood pellets since we recently put in an insert. DH keeps asking me! I can't seem to find something big enough that is not easily breakable, has a lid, and an opening that is big enough for a scoop.

Most things I find are long instead of tall.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

How big does it need to be, boop? Would something like this small coal bucket work?

Or maybe an antique coal hod/scuttle would work?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your concern, Oakley-- but I am really just looking to see what you all have done. I am fairly clear on the -direction- I want to go. I don't know what I will use yet but I want something interesting and/or unusual.

Boop - how much volume do you need for the pellets? What about an antique covered pail or pot? Or one of the scuttles Errant suggested. Love the last one!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Errant, I love the scuttle that has Magia Mia printed under it. Where in the world did you find them?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I believe that one was on eBay, boop. I'm at work and can't get there from here, or I would give you a link. Do a search there for "antique coal scuttle" and you should find it (and lots more).

I never answered funky art's original question about what's on my hearth. Nothing too exciting, really. The one in the living room is wood burning, so it has an iron wood rack, a black metal box for kindling, and a cast iron kettle. The one in my room is gas. It has a couple of candle lanterns and a wicker basket for throw blankets.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I do have a very nice set of fireplace tools (yeah FUNCTION) along with an over sized candle and angel on the opposite corner. In front of the tools I have a little wooden bench that different characters relax in as the year goes by.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

The hearth in the keeping room (c. 1680 part of the house) has a wood handled copper bed warmer, some antique cast iron implements and handmade wood handled hearth broom. The hearth in the wood paneled living room (later addition) is more traditional with brass fireplace implements (including brass andirons), old wooden sap bucket for fatwood, a basket with firewood, kerosene "pot" with brass top, etc.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

On our living room hearth, I keep an antique ammunitions box that holds some firewood and pine cones (it's on the other side of the hearth now):

And on the other side, a brass deer statue. Forgive the bow on him, as I took this around the Christmas holiday. I realize that to some non-New Mexicans, a brass deer from India probably looks very incongruous, but it's quite common out here. Our living room has art from India, Africa, Spain, Great Britain, Peru, Mexico as well as the Southwest. It all somehow works just fine together . . . which is also typical New Mexico (LOL)!

In our family room, we have a kiva fireplace. The only thing on that hearth is this brass screen:

In our MBR, we have another kiva fireplace. This is an older pic where I was trying out different combinations of accessories there. I've since edited it all down to just that old metal coal scoop for firewood and then another brass screen on the hearth itself. Above on the mantle, just the Staffordshire dogs on the right and the small candelabra on the left side.

On our front portal, we have another kiva fireplace. On the hearth there, we keep a black pot on one side and fireplace tools on the other. As you can see, the hearths of kiva fireplaces, which are very common out here in New Mexico, are usually not very large!

Lynn

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Our hearth is not raised; it is flush with the floor. This is how I decorate it.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Sueb, I like your style!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I sense a theme!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Alongside our woodstove:
    A brass bucket full of kindling
    A metal wood basket full of wood
    A set of fp tools

In the library in front of the gas fp, there's nothing...a narrow marble hearth that matches the fp surround and just the mantel.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Look at you amateurs with only one dog. You're supposed to decorate in threes, you know. ;)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Always loved your style Lynn-- beautiful and so liveable! There is a common thread across the indian, balian, african, mexican, american indian styles-- the great animal representations.

And awwww-- what's better than a dog (or two) in front of the fire? My rottweiler and golden/yellow lab have both passed on but they loved the spots in front of the fireplace. Thanks for all your photos! They brought smiles to my face!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(or three!)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

It's an old pic, but I need to get in on this dog action!

Sweet Joey on the left is gone, Jenny's the middle one and Sam is on the right. I now have Riley and Rooney, but I don't think I could get the four of them to lay down all at once in front of mine. If I do, I hope I have a camera nearby!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have a flat hearth with a foo dog on each side guarding the firebox opening.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I lost my first furbaby in May, she was almost 15. Still difficult.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

My $20 HomeGoods find!

• glad2b
    9 years ago

Sueb - that is the cutest picture ever! :)

• polly929
    9 years ago

Here's mine a vintage crate with driftwood and a couple of lanterns and a daschund.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I don't have a pic but we used to have a cat who loved sleeping in front of the fireplace when it was lit. I don't know what the warmth of the fire did to her insides but man, could that cat clear a room.

We have a slightly raised hearth that is part of a very large corner squamish rock fireplace and the only thing I have on it is a large vase that I bought from Home Sense that picks up the colours of the rock and it is filled with variety of branches and large dried leaves.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Boop, look at tall wood dog food storage containers. Similar to pellets, the food is scooped out. You might find something there you can use for your pellets.

My house is a carousel of dogs snoozing in front of the FP, since I'm a dog sitter. The little ones also love my ottoman.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Are we getting warm yet?

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Funky, you also asked for ideas on what to put on your hearth. That's why I asked if you had gas or wood because there's a big difference. With a wood burning FP, there are things you have to have, which takes away from deocorative objects because of clutter.

Good luck.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Here's our little girl, in her favorite spot. She's a rescue from a small tropical island off Puerto Rico, transported to chilly New England. She craves the warmth of the sun or hearth!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I love all these dog (and cat) pictures! Sue, three bulldogs...don't they pass gas a lot? it looks stinky even if they aren't! I kept a Boston Terrier for about 6 weeks once, the aroma was powerful. From one dog.
    My beagle always smells good, actually.

• teacats
    9 years ago

A very old set of firetools in a tiny copper bucket .... an oval brass wood bucket (both tucked in the right-hand corner of the hearth area) .... and directly in front of the firebox opening there is an brass sliding trivet with an old cast iron cauldron and vintage hand-made hearth broom ....

((did I mention that our hearth andirons are an old pair of cast iron owls? :))

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Ahem, Bumble...did you just say my dogs look stinky?? ;) I beg your pardon. Yes, the cute little Frenchie is the worst offender, surprisingly enough. The two English ladies are more subtle.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your lovely pet photos. They warm my heart!

SueB-- your little table beside the chair looks interesting. Is it metal?

Fun2B - Love foo dogs! I bet it looks great!

NHbaskets - love the color of your rug!

In the past I've had a large vase with sticks, a cute little bench seat or nothing. Now that I have a raised hearth, it feels like it wants something bigger-- like on the scale of Catmom's vase or the one BFenton describes. It's not a big fireplace and it's a small room but is definitely calling for something big.

Oakley, I am sorry I wasn't more clear that I will seek out my own objet d'art for the hearth. It's nothing personal-- I just wanted to see what others had done.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Nothing, it's small and even fireplace tools looked too cluttery. But the pics here are great :-)

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I love seeing all the dogs. We have been debating getting one. DH wants a German SHepard. That is part of the debate!

What do you all think of this....

A little more boring then I was thinking but the price is right.

And thanks Tib - it is not for dog food but I found it by looking up dog food storage :)

This is my hearth...

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Funky -- yes, the table has a heavy iron base and a wood top. Consignment shop find. I think it was $25.

PS Sorry I seem to have started a dog-themed hijack!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh puhlease! No hijack at all-- like conversations, threads go where they go-- and look at how much we've all enjoyed the photos!

Boop, I had a very similar container for dog food. I think it held about 40lb of kibble. Check the dimensions-- I think mine would have been too big for your hearth. Do you need a covered container?

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

teacats, your owl andirons sound wonderful! Do you have a pic?

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

This hearth has a brass urn full of wood on one side with a tool set next to it. On the other side is a curved brass wood holder. In the kitchen we have a basket of wood. In the FR, where it is gas we have a basket of scented pine cones.

And of course Billie likes to be in front but not too close!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

nancybee, my parents have the antique owl andirons. They are SO great! I want a pair so badly, but they're expensive. eBay always has some. The eyes glow from the fire behind them. I'm very jealous of Teacats!

My hearth just has the fire tools on it, but right now it also has dog water and food bowls on it.

Boop, IMO, no home/family is complete w/o a dog. I will tell you, though, that the only breed I won't take care of (so far, anyway) is German Shepherd. They make good pets, but if you think you'll travel AT ALL, and I mean EVER, don't get one. They are SO attached to their owners, and they literally go nuts when their owners leave them.

Can't go wrong with a golden retriever, although I recommend mixed breeds and rescues. petfinder.com is a great place to look, along with local shelters. Stay away from pet stores.

• heather483
    9 years ago

Our dogs are very low-maintenance. We should probably move the tin flowers, though.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Ahem, Bumble...did you just say my dogs look stinky?? ;) I beg your pardon. Yes, the cute little Frenchie is the worst offender, surprisingly enough. The two English ladies are more subtle.

Just wondering! We had a boxer growing up who could clear a dance hall and after my Boston Terrier experience and countless hours spent researching " what dog breed should I get next" , I look at bulldogs with a more jaundiced eye. I wanted one for years, also a french bulldog, but I have a sensitive nose and need a companion who doesn't snore so loudly the white noise machine (ceiling fan) doesn't cover it.

In effect, no bulldogs or any dog with a flat face in my future. Unless I fall in love, which can happen.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I guess we all love our animals too much to do much decorating on our hearths. :)

Our hearth is a convenient out of the way place for the puppy toys.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Another hearth doggie-our old girl. No fire today, it's in the seventies here.

{{!gwi}}

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

My turn. Waiting for Santa.