Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

X-post on b/s tile

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I know not everyone goes over to Kitchens, and this is really more a decor q then a kitchen function q.

Sooo, behold my cross post and let me know what y'all think.

I'm not crazy about b/s as a general matter, especially in a vintage kitchen which I think should either be floor to ceiling white tile or zero.

In the kitchen proper, I will have an integrate b/s in my double drainboard sink, and a swath of white subway over the range only.

In the butler's pantry, on the sink wall only, I will have a true countertop. Either slate or calacatta white marble, not sure yet. I was planning on just a small strip of the same material to provide a finish if not a b/s per se.

However, I have always like these cute lil' tiles. They are 2" square. They can come in a various colors, or not. I tend to like them as they are. Many different food or kitchenware images. I think I would enjoy seeing them march across the little counter there. It's only 6' wide.

What do you think (note, the lower cabs have been demo'd, and will be replaced with wooden cabs to match the existing antique ones). The new sink will be a plain copper rectangle.

The sink area:

The itty bitty tiles, 2" sq
{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: ItsyBitsyTeensyWeensy Backsplash?

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I'd maybe get them and frame them, but I don't think I would use them as a narrow backsplash. I don't know that it would read well, and it starts pushing that little area into material + material + material + material + zone.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

You know, if they will make you smile every time you pass by, then you should do it. They are neutral enough that they won't be jarring to your sensibilities, but they have that touch of whimsy or quirkiness if you will, that make them fun.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

They are darling, I can see why you want to use them. I'm def not in the " if it makes you smile, use it" camp.... I think that is what leads to confused design with products one refers to in the diminutive....iykwim :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I can't tell KSWL, is that a "no" vote? : )

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Lol!! I can easily imagine using four or more on a base as a trivet, as a backsplash, as a frame for a mirror or large print....as you see, I have had to resist cute my entire life, sometimes not as successfully as I would have hoped. It's way easier to point it out in someone else's house, sort of the splinter and plank, you know?

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I normally don't like any image printed on a backsplash tile, so I really had to think about these. The fact that they are so small intrigues me and that they are vintage-y and b/w. They have grown on me! I am not sure I understand how you would use them - as an accent row or interspersed with plain tiles? I could see them as an accent row more than the full 6" (if I am understanding your post correctly). You find such interesting things, Mtn!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, KSWL, Pal, Cyn and MarinaPrivateEquityGal (as I shall henceforth remember you),

I have decided they are, in fact, too cute. And I don't really do "cute". Truth is the ones I saw when I was doing my CT house were a little larger and had bicycles on them, and I really lusted after those even more.

But. It does not fit.

I have been thinking about my original "all or none" statement. If I tile this, I should tile it from counter to ceiling, in one simple field tile.

Which then, leads me to the kitchen proper. I wanted to put tile in one swath above my range and up to my range hood. I have leftover white Subway Ceramic I thought id use.

But I also had another idea... The built in cab in the kitchen --- the back of it is just wall. I was wondering about wallpaper, paint, fabric, but ... why not tile?

So use all the same tile for these three spots - the BP sink wall, the range, and the large kitchen built in ?

• localeater
    10 years ago

It's so funny, as I was reading this thread, one thing that raced through my mind was ' don't do cute'. Then, you said it yourself.
    They are 'cute' but they are not classic. I vote no.
    I think you could do whimsy in the back of the large kitchen built in, but I think I would do whimsy with color. And, if I did it with tile I would not tile directly on the built in but rather on a screwed on panel so I could get rid of it if I ever desired.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

"So use all the same tile for these three spots - the BP sink wall, the range, and the large kitchen built in ?"

Perfect solution!!