Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolj79

Need help with DR window treatments

carolj79
10 years ago

I really need help with this window. The window has a baseboard heater beneath so floor-length drapes aren't an option, as much as I would love to be able to hang them. The DR just looks blah to me but painting is out for now. The wall color is Glidden Dapper Tan and it is a light tan although it looks pinkish on my monitor it is not. I'm considering 72" length drapery panels which would fall a few inches above the heater. Also, any suggstions for a chandelier? This one is so old, but I prefer the warmer metals. Thanks for your ideas!

Comments (6)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Hi, we can't see you chandelier in this photo. Do you have a better one? I would not go with "almost" floor length.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you want to do just side panels, so little of the radiator will be blocked that you could go to the floor. Otherwise you can just go to the apron.

However, you could do a combo window treatment of a valance over a roman blind or a wooden blind to add more texture, neither of which would interfere with the rad.

• carolj79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the DR chandelier. Annie, I can't go over the hot water baseboard heaters because it is a fire hazard and they run the entire length of the window wall.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I wouldn't go almost floor length. IMO they would always look not quite right. I think you could do a valance with sides that came down to the sill.

I prefer brass and warmer tones for chandeliers as well. There are a lot of pretty ones out there but brass and warm tones are harder to find.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I would not use drapes that fall above the baseboard. Maybe you just need a new valance over a wood blind or woven wood shade, or how about a roman shade in a great fabric?

Matte brass is making a comeback; maybe you can try searching online at Lighting Universe, Bellacor, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware or Rejuvenation. Is there a reason why the table isn't centered under the fixture? I would center the table under the chandelier and hang the new one a bit lower, too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't see how a fabric panel hanging over a hot water baseboard rad is a fire hazard. Even if it was a steam system the very hottest it could be would be 212F. Hot water rads run even less than that. Your clothes dryer will run up to 240F. Textiles won't spontaneously ignite until 490-1060F. Consider people who have wall-to-wall carpet (much of it olefin or polypropylene with a low melt point) up to and under the rads.

So it's not a fire hazard as much as the fabric of a full panel covering the window will capture the hot air from the radiator and hold it by the window instead of allowing it to circulate into the room where you want the heat. However, if you keep to just side panels, it will not block much of the rad and the air will circulate around behind the drape panels and you should be ok.

If, however, you are uncomfortable with that, then do a window treatment that goes to the sill instead. There are many options. Go to houzz.com and search on window treatments for some ideas. Or go to country curtains on line and look at their offerings.

Re your chandy, it is too high and not centered over the table. The bottom of the light fixture should be 60" from the floor. If your table is where it will stay, with your new chandy, if you don't want to move the electrical box, you can swag it over to the middle of the table.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living