Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuponcic

Living Room Fabrics help needed

vedazu
9 years ago

Well, I got myself into a pickle. This is in a second house--where, incidentally, I have already impressed the neighbors with my red paint. I can do anything I want. I needed two chairs upholstered quickly, and the fabric of my choice was too orange when I got the sample. I chose Carna from Quadrille just because it was available. It's not my heart's desire, but it is what I have and now I have to work around it. Can't afford to throw it out. Or should I?! In any case, I love the Tree of Life, and on a normal sized "club chair" think (know) it will work. I'm using furniture from my first house that really doesn't work anymore and re-purposing it, so I have a pair of chairs that are upholstered except for the arms and legs. I think the Bonaparte would be pretty--but is this all too much print (I like prints...) Am I going in an entirely wrong direction? And then, what do I do for curtains? Can't afford 50 yards of Tree of Life, that's for sure! No kids, no animals, used only for guests, mostly.
My message was rejected at first--too big, so I will send another with the other two fabrics--I hope...

Comments (52)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Much as I always love what you do, I'd introduce a blue here, rather than another raspberry/red. I would feel differently if it were just one chair. I'd go full on Matisse color, actually.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 14:56

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I wanted to add that for furniture pieces you aren't happy with the style of, you could slip cover them.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As you probably noticed, I had trouble organizing a complete email because I don't know how to reduce the size of the files. So, to clarify,

The chair with me sitting in it is, indeed, the Carna in Magenta that I bought because I needed some upholstery, quickly. It maatches the paint quite well.

I'm trying to organize three other chairs. The large club chair" will be, perhaps in Tree of Life by Quadrille....it is in Blue Red, and kitchendetective might like it.

The paint is called Drama Red, Fine Paints of Europe.

The two kind of Queen Anne chairs that are fully upholstered except for arms and legs are slated for something like Bonaparte also Quadrille. I have posted the fabric.

I had also intended to change the finish of the chairs--can still do that with the pair of Queen Annes--any thoughts on that?

Does that somewhat explain it? I had written the little blurb when all the fabrics and the photo were all on one story board and then I had difficulties with the uploads. So sorry!

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Lilyore, I thought about the slipcover idea for the pair of chairs. In the Bonaparte, or something else?

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Were you referring to Arbre de Matisse fabric? (I just searched for Quadrille fabrics and stumbled on one named after Matisse. I am so excited by these little finds. . .). I'm afraid that I, too, was a bit confused by our post. I found a Tree of Life by Braquenie, but I can just imagine what that one costs (rolls eyes).

Here is a link that might be useful: Which colorway is this sofa?

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By the way, Lilyore, I meant that I have no kids, cats, dogs or practical concerns. It is a house used infrequently and mostly by adults. I don't have to worry about living there e12 months a year so can get as noisy/dressy/impractical as I choose. Dinners, get togethers....

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I am importing Bonaparte to this thread.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

what I meant is are the chars slipper chairs (armless) bergere (open arm with a tuft for elbow rest), wooden arm, or do you plan on leaving the arms upholstered in a raw fabric or with the stuffing showing as some sort of 'art' statement?

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lily: I can't call the pair of chairs I am upholstering Bergeres (if I don't capitalize the darn word, it becomes burgers!) more like a fauteuil, but English style. (I'm going to use them even if they don't work perfectly--probably paint the wood--arms and legs, no tufts No art.

Bottom line, I"m stuck with Carna, and again, am looking to make a pair of chairs, and a club chair work with it.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, Kitchendetective!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

If that is your chair and the wall color in the first post, you might do better sticking with that one fabric (Carna Magenta on Tint)

The quadrille Tree Peony Mult Blue Red, would indeed clash with the above. I think that the Carna is more contemporary and fresh, but it depends on what you're looking for.

The Bonaparte does seem to be a match in color but with the pink variation. It may be better as a pillow or footstool if you keep the Carna as shown. you might bring a sample home to compare it to the wall, or lay on the pieces to be upholstered.

You might consider slipping or covering other upholstered pieces in a sold that matches the wall as exactly as you can. That may take time to find the right fabric. Then play with pillows and accents in mis-matched paterns of the same colorway. Not only can red be difficult to mismatch in a room (unless you are going Boho) red mismatched patterns offers a new can of worms. It can come off as exciting and daring or a red hot mess. It really depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it? An experienced decorator might be able to pull this look off after a month of trial and error, for the rest of us it could take years to get that 'just right' look we want. In this case, it may be better to error on the side of caution.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As usual, I wasn't clear: I have fabric samples of everything and it all matches. Since Carna is the one I like the least, I was hoping to use the Tree of Life as the most arresting piece in the room. You're correct about making a red hot mess--but I have time to go step by step--the budget requires it!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Okay, for the open arm (fauteuil) I would recommend the same Carna fabric, if the style seems disjointed from the other pieces, then a similar fabric will tie them together.

The club chair I would do in a solid, either the color of the wall, a complementary color (blue was suggested, perhaps a dull, dark blue) or a beige that matches the background color of the Carna fabric. You can still go wild with pillows, artwork, rugs, accessories, to add your splashes of crazy pattern and excitement, without the whole becoming too much.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 15:47

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I think we need to see the rug.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rug is actually not relevant--it was something I bought on Ebay just to get something on the floor to keep the piano from screaming in an empty room. I'll find something else....it is too beige. I'll put it in a bedroom.

I'm also thinking that since I like Carna the least, at some point in the future I'll recover those chairs. Can't believe I'm saying that. I'm in love with Tree Peony and think I want/need that print in the room. Since the kitchen adjoining this room has a bright blue glossy buffet (bottom only--top is birch) blue will work very well.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kitchendetective: If the largest piece is in the blue Red Tree of Life, what would you do instead of the Bonaparte?

• marcolo
    9 years ago

This would be much easier with a pic of all the furniture, each draped with the appropriate fabric sample.

I think the scale of the Bonaparte wants to be on a small piece like a footstool. But I'd need to see the other pieces.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marcolo,

You are right, of course--I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Kitchendetective: I think you asked me a question about the sofa in the picture--Quadrille has a habit of putting custom colors on the websites, but they don't offer them. This is one, I believe. That's what went wrong with my Conga Line fabric originally--was magenta and pink in a picture, but came through with a yellow spot....which made it look orange.

• voila
    9 years ago

Vedazu,

I really like the chairs you had done in Carna. They have the right amount of light background to go with the Peony Tree fabric. I don't really care for the Bonaparte fabric. Could be wrong, but pink leopard spots may be the first style to become passé, IYKWIM. I didn't see anything else on the Quadrille site in the magenta in a small print to work. Looking through the Calico Corners site under pink fabrics, I saw this Robert Allen fabric that might work. Their site won't let me copy the picture of the fabric, so I am giving you a link. I do think a solid fabric on the remaining chairs would work the best. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calico corners robert allen fabrics fushia

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I have nothing to offer, but in order to follow the thread, I must post something.

btw, viola, I've found that if I want to post something, I can sometimes save it to Pintrest, then download the photo to Photobucket, then post on here. But for all that effort, boy! it better be something I really want to post.

• voila
    9 years ago

This is also from CC, Gianni velvet in peony. I think a pretty textured fabric would be lovely with the prints. You can order samples. It's impossible to tell colors on line. Also take your samples to fabric stores and find fabrics that may go with them. Pinks are hot right now, so it shouldn't be hard. You may find a medium pink to go with the Peony Tree fabric. Using navy may undo your wow factor, but give it a try also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calico Corners Gianni velvet peony

• voila
    9 years ago

Hi bbstx!

The problem with CC is that as soon as I hover over the fabric picture, it simply enlarges it on the same page. Can't click on the picture. Hmpf! May you know a different way? On other sites you can click on the picture to copy, or open in another window. Sorry to deviate from the topic here. :)

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

voila--thanks so much for this suggestion. On the screen it looks just perfect (velvet in peony.) We have a store near me--I could run in and see it in person.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By the way, in my inchoate first post, I mentioned that "I can do anything I want." The house is in a veritable village. No one cares now or ever if things are in or out, so if I like it, it can last 30 years and it will be fine. No pressure!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

voila, viola
    {{gwi:1868828}}

To do this I had to go to "other views." I have a Pinterest bookmarklet that I used. Even though CC has a Pinterest button on their page, it wouldn't work.

Even of this, though. I don't want to hijack this thread. I love all the wonderful Quadrille fabrics!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Vedazu,

I am not sure what you mean but they don't offer "custom" colors, in my experience, they do. IIRC the wallpaper I got from them was a custom color.

Minimums apply though and of course then you can't go thru a discounter but maybe your ID discounts.

I love the color of your walls, and your sweater matches perfectly. I think we should all also move to your nearly mythical village where nothing goes out of style and noone cares, LOL

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Mtnrdredux,

Yes, the question is yardage. I'm not an ID and go through a discounter. I think I could probably get a custom color, but not for 8 or 10 yards. What happens is that sometimes they show a fabric on the website that happens to be custom, but it is unavailable unless you buy 100 yards or something like that.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I forget what the minimum is but yes, that is true. I get the sense that, whenever they do a custom color, they throw a photo up on the site. And they do not clearly mark it as such.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

The Peony looks like it might work. And it has no viscose, which is good.

Of course a room like this needs some silk, too.

Gold may be another color to bring in judiciously.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, this conversation has brought me to some decisions, one being that I can use the Tree Peony fabric as my number one choice, bringing a second color--blue--into the equation. Marcolo--I've got a pair of great bronze and ormolu lamps, and an old console table has ormolu mounts. It is shot, but will look fine there. Also a gold mirror of no particular provenance, but again, looks nice, I think. So there will be gold. Silk? Which brings me to curtains. Assuming price is no object (but it is, of course) should I just use the Tree Peony on the windows, or go with solid red silk? Tremendous light in the room, and I think the silk will be eaten up in three years, max......
    I have inexpensive white silk panels up there now, just to control the light and add some softness to the room. Doesn't look good....

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I just wanted to say I love the chair you are sitting in and the fabric is fun, light and airy. I hope you never reupholster! The village will allow for this… Good luck, the room sounds wonderful and is going to be fab.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gr8day! Aren't you sweet! Thanks!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest Tree Peony panels, silk pillows. Sheers for the sun.

This post was edited by marcolo on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 9:28

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

marcolo--tell me about viscose....

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I think I got confused which fabric we were talking about. Anyway, don't buy a viscose velvet. The nap permanently changes direction with any moisture, even a splash of water. So even if it doesn't technically stain, the change in nap makes it look like a stain. And there's nothing you can do about it.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Oooh, so many pretty choices. Is there a velvet in the lighter of the two blue colors at Calico? LA Design Concepts charges their costs plus 20%. I don't know if that is better or worse than you can do otherwise. How many yards do you need for curtains, by the way? I found that I can use silk on sunny windows (in the Texas sun, to boot) if they are lined and interlined, and if any exposed silk borders are beyond the edges of the windows. If you have a careful workroom/designer, they can attend to this. Otherwise, no silk.
    Help me with this thinking: The room has a formal, French, and a bit Hollywood Regency, etc. vibe to me. Most of the Quadrille collection that I have seen seem less formal. The floral works in the room, but the fabrics that I am most tempted to pair with it do not seem to work with crystal hurricanes and ormolu. (Well, they would in my world, but I am not sure they would in most people's world.) Last night, my eye caught Pavillion Silk in Biscuit, Woodland New Navy on Tint, San Marco Turquoise on Tint, Celeste on Tint, Palampore Stripe, Malay Stripe in French Blue, Bangalore Silk Gold on Royal Blue (!), Bali Diamond Multi blues on Tint, and, of course, Arbre de Matisse in a custom color. I also found a striped and paisley print that I have seen before and love, but cannot relocate, of course.
    I suspected what you and Mtn have confirmed about the Quadrille ads showing custom colors. Frustrating.

Blue Bali Hai here:

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 11:38

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Moroc would bring in the black of your piano.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I would like to see a slubby raw silk or heavy linen worked into the scheme somewhere.
    See texture:

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I like the stripe here, but do not know what it is.

I think it may be a John Robshaw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linen

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 14:30

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchendetective: I need another house--I'm just crazy about the purple sofa. The stripe, unfortunately, reminds me of rag rugs...pretty, but not for this room. By the way, I'm already using a similar fabric to the Maroc in the adjacent kitchen/dinette--Nitik II inFrench Blue/Navy. On the one wallpapered wall, and on the dining chairs. It is visible from the red room, which is why the blue works nicely in the Living Room, too. Ah, Palampore stripe is gorgeous. I suppose I could do silk on the armchairs--have to back it?

• Mike121
    9 years ago

I would like to congratulate you first for choosing such a vibrant color for your guest room. It would instantly give a revamp to the looks of interiors. As far as rugs are concerned ivory color or somewhere neutral colored rugs cam coordinate well with it. The plain hand carved designs possibly vine patterns would be the best. If you could use roman blinds along with this chair it will be the best according to me.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

That sofa is luscious, isn't it? Quadrille, also. Yes, the silk would probably need to be backed. Perhaps on one small piece? II would love to see the Nitik II in use. How great!

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For Kitchendetective: I just found out why I haven't been able to send photos from my phone--never changed my Yahoo password. So, here is the Nitik II in the dinette: As you can see, the pattern looks just tweedy when it is up as paper, but, although you can't see it on the chairs, more assertive as a fabric. Point being, I've already got that pattern going in the adjacent room.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From Kitchen area to Living room....tile is too grey in this photo, it has more blue in it....

Off to work....gotta pay for all this...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Vedazu, I love your home. What a fun mix of things.

KitchenD, I am pretty sure that stripe is John Robshaw.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I'd put this in one of your others posts earlier, but your Quadrille Bonaparte in Blue -

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I would love to see more red in your red room. Remember, you can do whatever you choose.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

emmarene--the firetrucks will be parked outside of my house!

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

emmarene, was your name Molly Brown in a past life?

lol!

oops, better 'splain:

In the movie "The Unsinkable Molly Brown", Molly & her husband strike it rich & buy the biggest Victorian house in town & decorate it lavishly.

The living room is red:
    red walls
    red lampshades
    red velvet furniture.

The Browns throw a party & invite all the stuffy people in town.

One woman titters to another guest, "Perhaps it could use just a *touch* of red!" & the two of them laugh in a mean way.

Molly's husband leans forward in his wing chair & says to them, "Molly likes red."

I like red too.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I've ordered the yardage of Tree Peony to get the club chair going. I probably should explain that this was our family house and when my mother passed away I bought it from my sibs. I wanted to retain little bits of the original house for all of us to remember. The buffet in the dinette always housed her cobalt tea things, and even though that little collection has been divided up, there is enough left for me to use it for display. The entire buffet was pickled/cerused, whatever birch, as are the stairtreads, bannisters and newel post. So, I left the upper unpainted. The birch kitchen cabinets were painted Mayonnaise so all of that birch is now gone. The crystal things were hers, too, and none of the sibs could find any use for them, so they are contributing to that Hollywood Regency "vibe" you're feeling. (She had tons of cherry Statton--it can stay in the bedrooms, but some rather pristine pieces will get covered by skirts, for example.) So, that's the back story, and I'll come back from time to time to show you how it all is moving. Thanks again!