Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

My Delta faucet story and a quick question

bac717
10 years ago

This morning we had a new Delta faucet installed in the kitchen. Here is a picture of it (Delta Cassidy) and the story of how we came to 'need' a new faucet.

About a month ago, the faucet in the kitchen developed a problem with the water pressure, giving us little to no water when the faucet was turned on. My DH contacted customer service at Delta, explained the problem and gave them the model #. They sent the parts (no charge) to fix the pull out portion of our faucet. However, when they parts arrived, they were not for our faucet. DH called customer service again and explained the problem. Turns out, our faucet (that is less than 10 years old) is not available anymore. I wish they had told us that in the first phone call. We were then advised to pick out a completely new faucet and they would send it to us (at no charge!). They even expedited the delivery so it would arrive in time for us to install it before Thanksgiving, so I must say, their customer service is very good. However, there's still a part of me that feels a faucet should not need repairs twice (we had another problem, which was fixable, a few years ago) in less than 10 years.

So with our new style faucet, here is my question for anyone who has a faucet like our new one, with the control handle on the side. When the handle is straight up, is your water hot or cold? I ask this because after the faucet was installed, when the handle was straight up, the water was cold, even tho you see an 'H' and when the handle was straight out toward you, the water was hot, but you see a 'C'. The plumber reversed the water lines so the temperature of the water matches the letter you see on the handle (even tho this goes against the standard of cold on the right and hot on the left). It probably doesn't make any difference, but I'm just curious to how other faucets are set up.

Comments (10)

• pokyhoky
    10 years ago

My husband is a master plumber and our kitchen sink faucet is cold when the lever is pulled toward you, hot when it's all the way to the back. So to answer your question, straight up and down would just be mid-temperature.

We have Delta, too, and last week I was so impressed by their customer service when I called about our soap dispenser not working. We put it in in 2009 and I don't even know if I have a receipt. (1) I only had to push one button on the phone before I got a live person. (2) The gentleman was very helpful about how to care for the dispenser in terms of maintenance. (3) They're sending out a new one, no paperwork needed, and it was so easy!

• porkandham
    10 years ago

Ours is like hokypoky's. It's cold when the lever is pulled toward you and hot when it's pushed back.

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for confirming that the water should be cold when the handle is toward me. That's the way it's set up now. The only difference with our new faucet is that the handle does not go all the way back. It moves only a total of 90 degrees (from straight up to straight out toward you). This is a good thing in our installation. Otherwise it would hit the back splash. A kitchen design flaw, I believe.

Wow, Annie, that's HORRIBLE customer service. No doubt you will never purchase anything from them again.

Delta customer service is wonderful, isn't it, hokypoky? Isn't it amazing that they just send out what you need, no questions asked?

Thanks for your input, porkandham.

• thankurnmo
    10 years ago

This is so nice to see- about 2 months ago give or take we had an issue with the DELTA faucet in our kitchen. It was not the fault of the faucet- (we had a new water heater installed and the pressure was crazy---which broke the faucet). WE called Delta and our faucet was also no longer made (I believe it was about 5 years old). They did send a new faucet immediately. What a total delight to deal with such amazing customer service.

• springroz
    10 years ago

This is SO good to hear about Delta!! We bought all the fixtures in the master bath from Delta....too bad they can't send someone over to install the whirlpool faucet!!

I paid overnight shipping to get it to the house when GC said the plumber was doing the tub. It was there, but they managed to install the tub without it, and I was NOT paying the plumber to come back out, so I live with the old fixture, with the backwards hot and cold, until DH can figure out how to install it!!!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I have a year old delta that looks a lot like the one you have. Like others said, forward is cold, back is hot.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Not only will I never buy another Sigma product, I've become a "marketing terrorist" and tell everyone who is thinking of making a plumbing purchase to stay away from Sigma products.

I remember when we were building, all the plumbers we talked to said only buy moen or delta. I didn't listen but should've. The sigma was just so attractive and in so many colors. It's rare I do form over function. In this case I did, and I was sorry.

• auntie_ellen boston
    10 years ago

Same experience with Delta CS. I have two matching kitchen faucets 12+ years old - no longer made. A few parts here and there replaced immediately no questions asked. Love them!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Our friend and I both bought our Moen faucets at the same time.....within three years both of ours leaked. Had to be replaced. We now have a Delta.....hoping it lasts longer but seems you are having problems.