Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Need a "warm" blue paint

weedyacres
10 years ago

If I have a warm sage green paint in the living and dining rooms, and I want the kitchen to be blue, do I need to pick a warm blue instead of a cold blue?

If so, I could use some help picking one out. Kitchen cabinets will be white shaker doors with blue glass knobs (or clear if I can't find inexpensive blue ones). Floor is gray vinyl, photo below.

House is a 1920 cottage, and all the rest of the floors are restored hardwood (couldn't salvage the kitchen floor despite my best efforts).

The paint will only be on the end walls of the galley kitchen, as the cabinets will go all the way to the ceiling.

I'd prefer if there's something in the Valspar line you can recommend, as we're in a small town that only has a Lowe's.

Comments (18)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Could you post a picture of the rooms done in Sage Green?

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's not painted yet, but we had the same color in the last house and are bringing it to this one. Here's a photo of our previous dining room. It's the wall in the background, not the foreground/entrance.

It's SW Wool Skein, which looks brown here but IRL it's greenish. Really. :-):

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

In the pic it looks like a lot of taupe in the flooring. And it includes a shade of green as well.

Maybe this will work as a design-seed for you.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of SW Sea Salt and SW Wool Skein.

Another mood board:

Or Sw Rainwashed

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

I, too, have wool skein and sea salt! Here is my wool skein. I combined it with a darker ceiling - universal khaki

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The second one down is close to BM Heaven on Earth

{{!gwi}}

or SW Atmospheric

or PPG Scandanavian Sky

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How about something like this:

or maybe even a navy?

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Warm colors are reds and yellows or colors that have reds and yellows in them strongly. Blues, by definition are all cool. A "warm" blue is really a green because of the yellow content. Look at doing a teal or turquoise color, as those will have some yellow to them. Or, skip blue entirely, as it's not a stager's color and stick with the tanned greens. Those are neutral resale colors and will look better with the oak floors in the rest of the house. Blue and oak tends to make the blue look brighter and the oak look oranger.

This post was edited by hollysprings on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 17:14

• Lilac1915
    10 years ago

Oh its a rainy cold day and I found this sub-forum! lucky you, lol!

Ive been a fan of cobalt blue for decades, but have never really done much real decorating, so take my ideas with some huge grains of salt! I dream a lot. ;-)

I am intending to do my kitchen all white with blue accents as well. I have to say I'm not keen on this teal-y aqua stuff that passes for "blue" these days. In fact, Ive been on sort of a 'violet' kick lately, lol.

Valspar website has a category called True Violets, the colors in there I'm seeing for you (me!) are called Simply Periwinkle or Blue Shock or Jazzy, several more in that bunch. Not sure how to link you to them, sorry, but I think they'd look great up against all the Massive White with chrome or nickle (or blue glass knobs) and your gray floor. And still manage the transition to the warm greens in the nearby rooms.

http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explore-colors/painter/color-selector.html

I had no idea you could get blue glass knobs! What do you mean by "cheap"? These are $4 each. Oh now you've done it - I must. have. these. knobs!

Here is a link that might be useful: blue glass knobs

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

I would skip the blue walls and pick the darkest shade of grey in the floor for the walls. It will look very dramatic with the white cabinets. Then paint the ceiling a warm butter color to warm things up. I think the blue walls with white cabinets and grey floor give the kitchen a cold feeling.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

If you want a beautiful dark blue-grey, the Valspar color Iron Frost is gorgeous. I have no idea if it's warm or cool. It's much bluer than it appears on my monitor.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions. Hollysprings, your explanation of what makes a color warm or cool was particularly helpful to steer me.

I ended up going with this:

It makes me happy when I look at it. :-) I'll be even happier when we get the rest of the room functional and can quit eating microwave food. Gotta love living through remodels...

• Lilac1915
    10 years ago

LOVE it! So what's it called?!? Its just the right hue and looks great with the floor.

Whoa, you got an old brick cook chimney in the way in the corner too?! lol Looks like we have some similar elements and issues (and possibly tastes!) but I am in the earliest stages of pre-planning ours. Luckily we have a Camp Kitchen set up in the efficiency apt out back, so we are taking our sweet time. :P

Do you have another thread here somewhere with more (all) about your kitchen re-do? I'd love to go read/see it, if so!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Beautiful color! (Like I said, I have no idea whether it's cool or warm, but I know it's gorgeous)

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's Valspar Blue Skylights.

BTW, lilac, there are blue (and red and black and amber and green and lavender) glass knobs on ebay for around $1 each. The blue ones are a deep cobalt shade, so I'm not sure they'll go with this room.

Our whole-house remodel blog is linked below. It's got pages for each room.

Here is a link that might be useful: The gory details of our $10K house overhaul

• amykath
    10 years ago

That is a lovely blue! I think for a blue it definitely reads warm.

I checked out your blog. WOW! Weedy, you have been busy! It is looking great. The floors are fantastic. I cannot believe you have done so much for so little money!

• Lilac1915
    10 years ago

awesome. love the blog.

Very similar issues with our old house Kitchen.... that corner hog Chimney, the wall hog full size original Window... and, oy, the Sink in the wrong place. Most important similarity is your budget!! ha!

Great work, cant wait to see the finished product!

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz