Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove whirlpool tub?

Posted by ellyphant (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 13:28

I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether I should remove a big corner whirlpool tub that we never use. It is 20 years old. We have lived here for a year and it has been used once by a visiting family member. My husband had the idea to put the washer and dryer in that space, which would allow us to turn the laundry closet into a much-needed regular closet space. I guess I'd just like to know if people still like these tubs and if we'd be hurting resale value by doing this.

I should add that this tub is in a large bathroom off the kitchen on the main level. Washer and dryer are presently upstairs jammed in a closet. So we would be moving those to the main level. Is that a bad idea? Thanks for your opinions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove whirlpool tub?

Don't worry about resale....
since you don't use it, and since you have better use for the space, do what makes your life easier/happier!

Did you buy the house solely for the big tub?

Be aware though that removal may be more difficult than you think.

o

I recently removed a large whirlpool tub from my master bath. We have lived in our house 6 years, it had never been used. I posted an ad on Craigslist, "free whirpool tub you must remove". I got many responders, I interviewed them about their qualifications to remove the tub without damaging my home. I licensed professional plumber got it.
I am still not ready to re-do my master bath so there is a gap in the flooring, but at least I don't have to clean the dust collector any longer in the interim.

o

LuAnn, I would say we bought the house in spite of the big tub! You are right that we should do what works for us.

localeater, it's good to hear from someone who has done this!

Thank you both for a quick response!

o

Elly, I had one removed last year after living in our 1987 house for almost 6 years. Plumber just chopped it into little pieces, carried it all downstairs, & tossed it. It was huge & hideous and we never, ever used it. Replaced it with a non-jetted, more stream-lined tub since I was remodeling the entire bathroom.

o

Absolutely do what works for you! If you don't use it, you certainly won't miss it.

We're currently renovating our master bath and we have replaced an old whirlpool tub with a new Sanijet whirlpool tub. The jets are completely removable and can be cleaned (minus motor) in the dishwasher. Why did we choose to put another one in? We use it - a LOT.

o

Yup...I say best to use the best and largest spaces in your house for the things that get used most....the least used spaces for the least used stuff....

We purposely put our whirlpool tub downstairs in our guest bath...we had more room down there and figured that the amount we'd use it, it'd be a great location.

o

We had a jacuzzi tub in our master bathroom which I actually selected when we built the house. I am a bath lover, and this seemed like one of those things that we ought to do. I prefer baths to showers. I used the tub every day, but the motorized- whirlpool I used hardly at all. I would guess maybe 2 times a year if that. I really dont care for whirlpools. When we redid our bathroom about 2 years ago, we removed the whirlpool and replaced it with a regular (but deep)tub. We were actually able to expand the shower. I do not miss it one bit. I say go for it. As long as you do have a tub in the house, I would say good riddance!!

o

I agree with the others that you should use the space to best suit your needs. We are selling a house with a whirlpool tub that is 10 years old, and has caused us no end of problems. So happy to be done with it! In fact, we are removing the whirlpool tub in the master bath of the house we are remodeling and installing a freestanding tub instead. We are also removing the bathtub in another bathroom and turning it into a laundry room. While I had initial hesitation about removing the bath - turning a full bath into a half bath - I am SO excited to have a good space for laundry that it trumps any other concerns.

To answer your other question, I think arguments can be made for laundry on the main floor or second floor - so for you, or any prospective buyer - that probably a wash (no pun intended!).

o

Thank you all for weighing in on this. You have relieved my mind and we will go ahead with this project. We will still have a regular tub upstairs...never mind that it is mauve!! It's in great shape and hidden by the shower curtain, so that is staying for now. I must say, though, it seems that colored fixtures are never a good idea!

MarinaGal--Love your unintended pun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here