Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Very Specific Request for Sandy Aid

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

A friend passed this along to me. I was impressed by the very specific nature of what they are requesting. This is probably only germane for those in Fairfield County, but fwiw:

Hurricane Sandy Relief Clothing Drive and Volunteer Mission

OUR MISSION � To distribute1-2 truckloads of specific clothing, blankets, and cleaning supplies to our friends in Rockaway and the surrounding hard hit communities of Queens, NY. We will also give out hot soup, and provide charging stations for electronic devices powered by portable generators.

What to Donate: (stick to the list, PLEASE!)

Clean and Laundered

� Winter Jackets

� Gloves & Winter Hats

� Blankets

Cleaning Supplies

� Disinfectant / antibacterial spray / wipes, bleach, paper towels

Soup Supplies

� Paper bowls, paper coffee cups, plastic spoons, soup ladles

Drop Locations:

General Public � Front Gate / Security

King Industries, Inc.

1 Science Rd.

Norwalk, CT 06852

Dates: Wednesday � Friday (11/7 � 11/9)

Times: 9:00am � 9:00pm

How YOU can Help:

Spread the WORD & Bring Donations!

� E-Mail, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin

Sorting & Truck Loading

� Contact sking@kingindustries.com to sign up

� King Industries, Inc. 1 Science Rd. Norwalk, CT

Clothing, Soup, and Phone Charging Assistance (MOST NEEDED)

� Car / truck caravan leaving King at @ 7:00am Saturday 11/10

� Contact sking@kingindustries.com

Primary Location � 219 B129th Street. Rockaway, NY

Secondary Location � 488 Beach 66th Street. Queens, NY

Local Neighborhood Clean-up (MOST NEEDED!!!)

� Must have boots and work / garden gloves

� Contact sking@kingindustries.com to sign up

Comments (6)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I saw a photo in the paper of all these big cardboard boxes of clothing sitting on the beach and people sorting through them for items. Clothing was tossed here and there and strewn upon the ground. Got me thinking how big of a task it would be to organize something that this. How many of the actual clothing donated ends up in the hands of those needing it? How appropriate the clothing items in the boxes really are, ect. It would be so disappointing to be responsible for a clothing drive and then see it laying in the wet sand. Makes me want to load up a truck and drive there, go door to door trying to distribute it that way.

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

Schoolhouse, I wondered the same.

I made a direct contribution to a shelter in AC through a friend who is personally taking it to them. I wanted to make sure it was received in someones hands. It consisted of new assorted Costco towels, packages of soaps, toothpastes, winter coats, pillows and a blanket. I am sure they are getting flooded with various clothing items which many need but some have families not effected and will be taken care of through them.

My employer is matching our Red Cross contributions up to 200K.

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux
    I meant to thank you for posting that information. I'm sure people feel they want to do something and don't know what is needed.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Folks,

I have voiced the same misgivings, in a thread a few days ago.

but if you read the whole email, they are taking a caravan there Saturday morning, and also looking for sorting and clean up help

they're working with a local agency who gave them the list

• anrol
    11 years ago

My gosh! I have been following this from Canada and have been touched by the kindness and the strength of the people. I am hoping there is more fundraising too. Thank you for updating and keeping people aware of what is needed. I just can't imagine what some of these people are going through!

• eandhl
    11 years ago

Hopefully no one will mind me also adding "remember the displaced animals". Several of the rescue places have taken in large numbers of pets and could use help. Old blankets, quilts, towels, anything that can be bedding. Dog food, adult & puppy. Cat foot etc.