Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Specific Request for Sandy Aid

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 13:26

A friend passed this along to me. I was impressed by the very specific nature of what they are requesting. This is probably only germane for those in Fairfield County, but fwiw:

Hurricane Sandy Relief Clothing Drive and Volunteer Mission
OUR MISSION � To distribute1-2 truckloads of specific clothing, blankets, and cleaning supplies to our friends in Rockaway and the surrounding hard hit communities of Queens, NY. We will also give out hot soup, and provide charging stations for electronic devices powered by portable generators.
What to Donate: (stick to the list, PLEASE!)
Clean and Laundered
� Winter Jackets
� Gloves & Winter Hats
� Blankets
Cleaning Supplies
� Disinfectant / antibacterial spray / wipes, bleach, paper towels
Soup Supplies
� Paper bowls, paper coffee cups, plastic spoons, soup ladles
Drop Locations:

General Public � Front Gate / Security
King Industries, Inc.
1 Science Rd.
Norwalk, CT 06852
Dates: Wednesday � Friday (11/7 � 11/9)
Times: 9:00am � 9:00pm

How YOU can Help:
Spread the WORD & Bring Donations!
� E-Mail, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin
Sorting & Truck Loading
� Contact sking@kingindustries.com to sign up
� King Industries, Inc. 1 Science Rd. Norwalk, CT
Clothing, Soup, and Phone Charging Assistance (MOST NEEDED)
� Car / truck caravan leaving King at @ 7:00am Saturday 11/10
� Contact sking@kingindustries.com
Primary Location � 219 B129th Street. Rockaway, NY
Secondary Location � 488 Beach 66th Street. Queens, NY
Local Neighborhood Clean-up (MOST NEEDED!!!)
� Must have boots and work / garden gloves
� Contact sking@kingindustries.com to sign up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Specific Request for Sandy Aid

I saw a photo in the paper of all these big cardboard boxes of clothing sitting on the beach and people sorting through them for items. Clothing was tossed here and there and strewn upon the ground. Got me thinking how big of a task it would be to organize something that this. How many of the actual clothing donated ends up in the hands of those needing it? How appropriate the clothing items in the boxes really are, ect. It would be so disappointing to be responsible for a clothing drive and then see it laying in the wet sand. Makes me want to load up a truck and drive there, go door to door trying to distribute it that way.

o

Schoolhouse, I wondered the same.

I made a direct contribution to a shelter in AC through a friend who is personally taking it to them. I wanted to make sure it was received in someones hands. It consisted of new assorted Costco towels, packages of soaps, toothpastes, winter coats, pillows and a blanket. I am sure they are getting flooded with various clothing items which many need but some have families not effected and will be taken care of through them.

My employer is matching our Red Cross contributions up to 200K.

o
RE: Very Specific Request for Sandy Aid-

mtnrdredux
I meant to thank you for posting that information. I'm sure people feel they want to do something and don't know what is needed.

o

Folks,

I have voiced the same misgivings, in a thread a few days ago.

but if you read the whole email, they are taking a caravan there Saturday morning, and also looking for sorting and clean up help

they're working with a local agency who gave them the list

o

My gosh! I have been following this from Canada and have been touched by the kindness and the strength of the people. I am hoping there is more fundraising too. Thank you for updating and keeping people aware of what is needed. I just can't imagine what some of these people are going through!

o

Hopefully no one will mind me also adding "remember the displaced animals". Several of the rescue places have taken in large numbers of pets and could use help. Old blankets, quilts, towels, anything that can be bedding. Dog food, adult & puppy. Cat foot etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here