Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Vote for my Front Door!

Zoe52
9 years ago

I am including a picture of our new home. I tried posting this earlier and got no responses. Probably bc I was asking for so much help. Anyway, I have selected our brick and stone already which are in neutral tones. I still have to figure out what to paint the trim.

These doors are solid Mahogany and have different designs. I will post the four pictures below, but have to do it in two different posts. I don't know how to put numbers on them so you can refer to them as upper or lower L or R pictures.

In case you are wondering the windows will have colonial 9 pane grids that are removable except for the curved transoms which have fixed interior grids.

There will be ledgestone installed on the arch that surrounds the door.

So now that you see the style of our new home which one would you select for your front door??

This post was edited by zoe52 on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 14:16

Comments (40)

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the Upper L and R selections:

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the lower L & R selections

• amykath
    9 years ago

Do you have any iron work in any of your windows? It's hard to determine without knowing that. WIthout knowing, I like the top left and bottom right.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No. We don't have iron work on any of the windows. The builder chose the doors to fit the space we have. Said there were not many choices out there for our wide single door.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I like the lower right. They all have quite a bit going on with the lines and swirls. The lower right still has details but is a bit more subdued than the others.
    Congratulations on your new build.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

How exciting to be building a new home! It looks lovely. I generally try to pick from the choices offered, but in this case I would go with something more straightforward with rectangular panes rather than the more decorative ones you're considering.

• voila
    9 years ago

I'm no help at all, since I think they're all pretty. You may want to choose by the amount of beveled glass in each, since the bevels give you such nice prismatic (is that a word?) rainbows.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

The last one is the only one I would pick. I would be scared the others will look dated soon. What a pretty house.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Of the four, I would pick the lower right, but I would prefer something less ornate.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I know guys. I really don't like my selections at all. The link below is what I would prefer. I know I cannot have the sidelites bc of the opening. My builder is a design builder and I am finding out that he likes to do things to fix his designs along the way. It is beginning to really bug me.

Here is a link that might be useful: What I would prefer

• Oakley
    9 years ago

First let me say how jealous I am of your house! I want a french chateau style house sooo bad!

I think bottom right is your best bet, it's pretty close to your inpiration picture.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

what is the size you have to work with that the builder says you have few choices.

Do you have a close up of the door alcove?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Zoe52, the one that you like is much prettier than the ones your builder suggested. It is more classic and I think will look great many years from now, the other ones not so much.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Where are they sourcing the doors? There must be some other choices. I guess if not, pick your fave and maybe down the line you can replace it with what you love.

Your house is going to be stunningly beautiful!

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

I agree - the bottom right - as oakleyok said... is close to your inspiration picture. If you cannot get the builder to give you more choices or the one in your inspiration picture - go with bottom right.

Enjoy your new home!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

It's your house, but the builder is pigeon holing you into doors you don't like because it suits him? Tell him he needs to keep looking because you don't like his selections or he can re-trim the opening so a door YOU like will fit. I know it's hard to stand your ground but it's your house, your $ and that makes you the boss.

And yes, your selection is way prettier than his.

• amykath
    9 years ago

You tell em' Joanie!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why does your builder have any say whatsoever into what you choose for your house?? His job is to build it, install it, frame itâ¦not pick it.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, I just found out that my builder is making the Mahogany door himself. He has his own wood shop and I selected him bc he makes beautiful custom cabinetry. I wasn't aware that he made the front door himself, too. What he is showing me is some sample glass inserts that have to be custom made to fit the door.

His wife just sent me two more pages of selections that are more linear as per my suggestions. Now the first two have the privacy glass whereas I realize the bottom two are not.

So apparently these are not the only designs that they had. They just sent me some that THEY liked.

So here is the second set top left and right ......

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is second set of bottom right and left.

I actually like these two better, but wonder if they can use some privacy or more wavy glass behind them.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ah, the last two are much nicer than the first batch, IMO, and of those two, I like the one of the left. I like the more simple center of it and the beads on the straight lines.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanie ponie. You are right that one can have whatever they want when they are building. But money doesn't grow on trees. We were given a price to build the entire home and we are trying to stay within that framework as much as possible. We are already paying for a number of upgraded items, but the mahogany door was already costed into our building price. So we are trying to keep the cost for the front door within his bid price. BTW We are finding out how fast those changes we are making is adding up..our brick cost more bc it is tumbled our windows cost a few extra thousand because they were colored trim instead of white. And I won't even get into how much more we are paying for our upgraded tub and showers. I can't wait to see how much more we will be paying on our finishing touches where I really wanted to spend our money.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

zoe, I took Joanie's comment not to mean that the sky's the limit and you can get whatever you want but rather than what YOU want is what you should get, not what your builder wants.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok now I understand.

I will see if they can suggest that glass design to the company that makes the glass. Obviously the glass has to be custom made to fit the door size that the builder is installing. Perhaps the style I found online and like they can reproduce. It won't hurt to ask. But if it costs us more money my husband is going to say no.. find one you like that he suggested.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Either the first set - bottom right OR

second set lower left. My concern with this one is that for those who do metal/wrought iron stair railings, the balusters with the wrought iron knuckles is very popular right now and this one reminds me of that. It might be considered on trend.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the lower left is a Spanish style. The door manufacturers definitely make the glass to go on certain architectural styles. It helps to look at photos on their websites and brochures because you'll start noticing they have architectural influences. There's more to it than just finding a pretty door. I'd ask in the Building a Home forum where people know architectural styles so you can find something more contemporary.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Oh no,I definitely didn't mean the sky's the limit with budget. In your first post it sounded like the builder was saying "this is how big I made the opening and these are the only doors that will fit , so pick one.

Yes, definitely send them the picture of the one you like and see what they can do....they may already have something similar but have no idea what you're looking for so are just sending random pics.

I hope it works out....I just didn't think you should be stuck with a door you didn't like on your dream house. You should love all of your choices.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Exactly as may flowers said. These doors are designed for specific styles. The first two of each set are very Victorian or Arts and Crafts--styles that are nothing like yours. Of these the last might work.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I also like your inspiration pic and the last two the best. I also noticed that those three all have a wood panel on the bottom, which I think really makes the door work, designwise.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like your inspiration pic best...the last two look to me like bars on security doors (left) and scrolls on 1950's storm doors (right). If you can't get what you like, it seems like you should check to see how much a non-custom non-handmade door would cost. You might actually save some $ and get exactly what you prefer.

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Your builder should be able to get either seedy or rain glass. Both would are more attractive than the glass is showing in his samples and offer more privacy. Look them up online to get an idea of what they would look like. The up charge shouldn't be too much to switch out the glass.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

You have shown us a beautiful McMansion in the making. Good for you.
    But none of the choices you ask about are that very different from the next to me. Makes me wonder why you are asking, because this doesn't seem to be a question of apples and oranges, but apples and apples.

To be completely honest, all of the designs you have shown are wonderful and I would love any of them in my home. Pick what you like, that's the safest bet.

• mattandrews
    9 years ago

On the first set, I like the one on the bottom right for your beautiful house. Its design is the closest and among the four, most appropriate for the design of your house. You have four wonderful options, yet I think that the remaining three are too much decorative. I can't pick on the second set though.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like the bottom left door of your new selections. Have you shown him your inspiration pic? If he is making the door, you could likely get something very close and the same with the stain color.

The bottom left is similar to your inspiration door. They are not that far off from one another. His has applied molding and there is less wood. Also, your inspiration photo is more obscured glass with a little more pattern in the center. I am sure he could stain the door to look like your inspiration photo. I think the door option he gave you that I used to compare to your inspiration door is quite beautiful.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I really like the one on the right in the above picture. It fits your house much better than the others.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The lower left on your newest set is, IMO, the best of the choices so far.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Jeez, Lilyore!

• indygo
    9 years ago

Beautiful home! I like the bottom right in the first set and the top two in the second set. I'm never much help with decisions, but I think I like the curved lines better than the straight ones because the straight lines remind me too much of iron bars. The wood and curving beveled glass seems more welcoming.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

What vedazu said.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I'm not really loving any of them but my tastes are very different than the house you are building so my opinion doesn't matter. Definitely get one with the wood panel on the bottom though. The doors without it look silly IMHO.