Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slflaherty

Question re: Hanging Curtains

slflaherty
11 years ago

What is more important when it comes to hanging curtains? For the curtain rod to be mounted near the ceiling, or for the curtains to touch the floor?

My predicament: My family room has 10 ft ceilings. The top of the window trim is about 7 ft from the floor. The curtains we picked out for the family room only come in 84" length, which I thought would be fine. I mounted the rods right above the window trim and the curtains go down to the floor. However, after living with it for a few days, it's beginning to look...weird. Having all that space at the top of the window is making the windows look strangely out of proportion to the rest of the room. I want to remount the hardware closer to the ceiling, but that will mean that my curtains will stop where the window does, and I'm afraid that will have the same affect, just opposite (if that makes any sense at all).

What should I do?

Comments (17)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

You could have custom draperies made or you could add fabric to the bottom of the ready-made draperies to make them the right length. Personally, I like draperies hung close to the ceiling, but many people do not care to see the blank wall space above the window frame that results when draperies are hung that way. I don't know anyone, however, who doesn't prefer to see their full length draperies reach the floor unless they have baseboard heating.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think in your case mounting them so they touch the floor is the most appropriate. (In other words where they are now)

In order for them to look correct hanging from ceiling height, they would have to be full length to the floor.

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"It's a big decorating faux pas to have a dumb square of wall showing above the window and below the rod when the draperies are open."

I was wondering about this too, actually. I can see how that would look equally dorky.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

This is the proper way to compensate for low windows. These Extremely low windows in Nate Berkus's apartment from Arch. Dig. are only as high as the bottom of the blind.

If you go with a higher rod to elongate the window, you have to complete the illusion:
    {{!gwi}}

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is actually amazing. Definitely something to think about!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

What is more important when it comes to hanging curtains? For the curtain rod to be mounted near the ceiling, or for the curtains to touch the floor?

For the curtains to touch the floor.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I agree with pal completely.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

"It's a big decorating faux pas to have a dumb square of wall showing above the window and below the rod when the draperies are open."

It's actually not a "faux pas" at all. Like many things in decorating, it all boils down to personal preference. Look in any magazine, from BH&G to AD, and you'll find it done both ways by interior designers touted as the best.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I get so impatient with all the moderately priced retailers who provide curtains that are too durn short to look the least bit elegant or well proportioned in most people's houses.

As many of you know too well, I am a big fan of long panels hung high, with bamboo, matchstick, or Roman blinds behind the rod to cover the top of the window trim.

Thank you, Nate Berkus, for a perfect example of how effective that can be.

Here's a sketch (made for another post) of how I suggested the idea to handle a set of small high windows.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Bronwynn's mom-- I will have the high, small window problem in the house I am moving into. I have a few ideas about how to handle them..and now you've given me another to add to my bag of tricks. Love the bookshelves. I also saw a cute setup with a line of small prints above a bed and beneath the window.

The key, whether dealing with blank space above or below the window, seems to be to use the space or hide it.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Thanks, Pal....that's what I was talking about...
    That's a good solution to that dumb square over the rod problem.
    And Allison, of course you are right...it's all about what you like.
    BUT...then I wonder what the purpose of this forum is???

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Lindac, ...then I wonder what the purpose of this forum is???

To give you suggestions and ideas you haven't thought about before, so you know that what you end up with is what you like the most!

• Marion Nesbitt
    8 years ago

Think draperies hung to the ceiling draw the eye to the "void" of blank wall between the top of the window frame and the rod. How exciting is this? I would hang to the ceiling only if I had a valence which covered the top of the window frame, or had some type of "fill". Have to adapt to what your sit is, too. Have an old house with very high ceilings and steam rads under the windows. The top part of the frames are deep with decorative molding on top. Don't want to hide the details so hang the rod under the top frames, to the floor, and to either side of the rad. I use mini slat blinds for covering the windows panes for privacy.

• Marion Nesbitt
    8 years ago

I've seen draperies with a contrasting/co-ordinating piece of fabric using the rooms colours or shades thereof attached - either to the top or bottom - to get the required length to the floor. Any I've seen look customized.

• shadylady2u
    8 years ago

I sure hope she's figured something out after 3 years! :)

• awm03
    8 years ago

I sooo miss Bronwynsmom :(