Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

I need a throw piilow primer

deegw
9 years ago

I need to get some new throw pillows and will have to do most of my shopping online. As I do my searches, what are some key descriptive words to use so my search results are nice pillows and not rubbery polyester squares?

Comments (7)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

"Not rubbery square polyester square throw pillows."

Lol. I crack myself up.

No, check "wool and cotton throw pillows". Search by mentioning good fabrics.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Get ready to hunt for a needle in a haystack! I recently attempted this. First decide what size you need, but expect online searches will screw this up. Then determine color and expect online searches will also screw this up. Etsy will offer up 35,598 choices for 'throw pillow'.

I then asked around here and got some recommendations and started looking through a few stores I knew were reliable...Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrell, Arhaus, Horchow, etc. I still haven't narrowed down anything I'm crazy about but C&B did have a few that looked promising but I've decided to wait until after Christmas to resume my search. I'll have Christmas pillows out anyway before too long.

• deegw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

outsideplaying, I recently got some pillows from Etsy and the patterned fabric was only on one side! The other side was plain white. It never occurred to me to check to make sure the pattern was on both sides. Lesson learned.

Do you know which stuffing materials make comfy pillows with nice weight?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

In many cases, the pillow "innards" are sold separately from the pillow fabric/case for the throw pillow. Certainly everything the pillows I've bought on Etsy come that way (Id imagine to save on shipping) but also, for example, some throw pillows i bought recently from Crate and Barrel.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

deee, many of the Etsy sellers only put the expensive fabric on one side.

I use an ebay seller in England for pillows with expensive fabrics, like Chiang Mai, who will accommodate size requests, and pattern placement requests (if I use a pair, I have to have the placement the same).

But, I'd really encourage you to learn to make your own. It's really easy, and a few minutes on YouTube will show you how to put in a zipper, if you don't know how.

I recently replicated $165 retail pillows I loved, down to the exact trim I found from a seller on etsy.

I buy the forms from PB or WS, with free shipping. For a bed, I make 20 inch pillows with 22 inch inserts.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I really struggle with this. Let us know if you find a source for good cotton pillow covers :)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

You might want to buy the covers separately (sources include Pottery Barn, Company C, and of course etsy) and then go to a fabric store to pick the inserts that you like -- all down, down/synthetic mix, etc. I like all down, but some people might find them too squishy.

When I see one pillow I like on Etsy, I click on the seller's shop to look at others s/he is selling to get a better idea of their quality. And zoom in on the photos!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH