Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Euro pillows

violetwest
9 years ago

So, I listened to the "standard" wisdom of needing 3 Euro pillows to go across a king bed and bought them.

Ugh, I don't like them! Maybe because they are too firm or something, but they're too big and just in the way. They've been relegated to a closet and I'm considering just dumping them. Waste of money.

or . . . do y'all like them? Am I missing something?

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 13:23

Comments (9)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I don't use them either. I am a no-fuss bedding type of gal. On our queen size bed, I have three king-size pillows. Two are covered in shams that coordinate with my bedding (these are the ones we sleep on), and one is centered on top of the other two, in a sham that matches the comforter.

I am always amazed at the pics shown here of people's master bedrooms with perfectly made bed and beautifully staged nightstands. My bedroom never looks that good! The bed is always made haphazardly and there is always random junk on the nightstands -- kindle, books, hand cream, mouth guard LOL. Not exactly House Beautiful material.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have three on a queen-sized bed and I love them. I always buy feather/down inserts so they are nice and squishy. I don't like the way fiberfill inserts feel. I'm one of those who makes my bed every day with five decorative pillows because I love the way it looks, but we also use the Euros for propping up in bed or as a make-shift lap tray.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

We never used them until 3 years ago when we redid our bed. We got a headboard which we never had before, repainted, new bedding and I never thought I would do this but I bought pillows. We have Euro pillows, decorative pillows and then a rolled pillow in the front plus our sleeping pillows. I love it all - it is just so put-together. I still love putting them all propped up in the morning and looking at them during the day when I'm in the room. Took me 30 years to get there but....

And yep - they all get thrown on the floor when we're in bed.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I have 3 as well and love them. I never liked the look of 2 kings; this is perfect. I use 2 20 inch decorator pillows, and adore the way it all looks.

Someone told me, or I read it here, that Target has the best Euro inserts. They are: full, but soft.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I bought two euros for our king bed and made shams for them. I found them to be too big and bulky....they just ended up permanently on the chair. I'm looking for a new comforter now and will scale it down like SueB....I know I just won't take the time to arrange a bunch of pillows everyday, even though it looks nice.

SueB.....do you use the shams that go with your decorative duvet or comforter every night instead of typical pillow cases?

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I have 3 too. They are not on the bed. They were bought to go on the bed. They are not on the bed.

I thought about why they are not on the bed. There had to be a reason that I wasn't putting my finger on. I think that it's because our huge king sized rough iron bed is in front of a window and the pillows block the light. Mystery solved. Until I buy a house where I can put my bed against a wall and I try again.

I have to say that I actually feel brain washed about the requirement for Euro's. I am not happy about being brainwashed because now I have 3 giant pillows and no use for them. At this time.......

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Joanie -- I just use one king sham that matches my comforter, and that one is for "decoration" in the center, on top of the two other (also king) pillows, which are the ones we sleep on...for those two, I buy shams but in sheet-type fabrics. Does that make sense?

I have a queen bed, not a king, but I like the size of the king pillows.

For instance, I might use a sham like this for my sleeping pillows.

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

With my last comforter set I had 3 euro shams, 2 king sized shams and 2 decorative pillows in front. Our sleeping pillows went behind the euro shams when making the bed and it was a great look. And easy to make every day. Now the new comforter set I have only gave me 2 euro shams and it looks off. I need a third. However, I'll have to get plain white and it will ruin the look of the set. I got my pillows at Target and they are firm and fluffy. Love the look of euros,shams, decorative pillows. Just throw on floor at night. It takes probably less than 1 minute to make my bed in morning.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I use two Euros on a double bed in my guest room. Two regular pillows in shams behind with a large pillow in front. Of course that bed is not slept in.

In our master br, on a queen bed, we use two sets of pillows, one in ivory matelasse which matches the coverlet on the bed. I have a quilt at the bottom of that bed in a toile fabric and have matching shams. Two ivory shams at back with the toile shams (2) in front and a lumbar pillow in front of those. I will admit that the bed is not made up with all pillows every single day. Depends who gets up first, etc. Some days bed is made with out decorative pillows in place. LOL What helps me though in making a pretty bed is we do NOT use our sleeping pillows in shams. The two sets of shams with pillows come off the bed and sleeping pillows go on. Pillows never have to be taken in/out of shams. When pillows are not in use they are in adjoining closet or an armoire in the room. Armoire holds tv at upper half, but lower half is used for bedding and pillows. I love pillows and it's worth the few minutes to me.

Sueb I had to laugh. I usually pick up the br daily and that includes nighstands. Hubby's rarely has anything extra on it - maybe a book. I have been in her today, relaxing, working on a couple of projects, etc. and I just looked at my nightstand. Besides my pix, a candle, etc. that stay there, there is a stack of unworn pjs to get rid of (satin jammies that were gifts), 3 glasses, a notepad, a necklace, a tube of concealer, my nook and a stack of cards, mailing labels etc. Today my br has made a great office.