Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Would you add a quilt to this bed?

Christy Bell
9 years ago

Trying to work on my master bedroom and the bed is first. I'm just wondering if I should add a quilt. There are two pictures - one with the quilt (white) and one without. If I did do a quilt, would you go with the white that is shown or choose another color? I should mention that I don't think I could get a quilt to match the euro shams or the king shams, since I purchased them quite some time ago - only if htey come up on ebay at some point. Sorry the picture is kind of dark - hard to get a good pic in this house.

*Don't mind the messy bed making - was using a queen quilt I had from another bed to see if I liked it.

This post was edited by christyinco on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 13:19

Comments (21)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front view of bed with quilt.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No quilt - duvet is pulled up higher to cover more of the sheets. You can also see both sides of the duvet better this way.

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

I like the views with the quilt better than without. Pretty bed! I love the duvet cover. Is it Pottery Barn?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like the 3rd pic (the way the comforter is folded) but would add the quilt. I think the white looks good, but as you said, it's a dark pic. Unless it looks too stark in person, I would use it.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes - Pottery Barn. I could get a quilt in the pattern that is shown on the euro shams, but in white (they still have that). Or would you go with a basic pattern that doesn't compete?

I don't think the white quilt would look too stark, especially if I had the duvet further up as in pic 3

This post was edited by christyinco on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 13:43

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, I probably would skip the quilt -- it looks more streamlined and more focus on the pattern of the duvet cover, which I love. I think the colors look richer and cozier without the additional white.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hum - I could get king shams that match the quilt (both white). I would lose the subtle pattern and two-tones in the current shams now, though.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It looks lovely both ways but I like it better with a quilt.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Prefer it without the quilt.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I would only add a quilt or blanket if I needed it for warmth-- I don't think the bed 'looks' better with the quilt....

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting responses. Sounds split! What might help is that we don't need it for warmth - it might be a pain to deal with actually. We would use it in summer months, but then might be better to get the guilt in the same pattern as the duvet.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Yes, because using just the folded duvet shows too much of the sheets. Why are you folding the duvet?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was folding the duvet to show both sides - guess I liked the look instead of pulling it all the way up - too much pattern maybe.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another question - would you do a box spring cover or a dust ruffle covering the wood slats?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I think a box spring cover. Bed skirts look great sometimes but other times too fussy.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Pictures are fine. My question is where do you sleep with all those pillows?

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

With or without quilt, but I like the 3rd pic with the duvet higher and showing both patterns.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Quilt. All beds need a quilt.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oldfixer - LOL! That's what my husband complains about! The pillows we actually sleep on are behind the eruo shams (2 standard sized pillows)! All the pillows hit the floor at night- but doesn't it look so nice! :)

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

"Interesting responses. Sounds split! What might help is that we don't need it for warmth - it might be a pain to deal with actually. We would use it in summer months, but then might be better to get the guilt in the same pattern as the duvet."

You know, if you don't need it for warmth, maybe you should try the quilt instead? I say this because my wool comforter is currently folded up at the end of my bed - it doesn't currently fit in my small linen closet and I haven't come up with another storage location yet. It's sort of a pain having it there day in and day out when we don't use it, so I probably wouldn't choose this route just for looks.

What is the name of this duvet cover, do you know? My sister is working on her bedroom and I think this pattern/color might work really well for her. Thanks!

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think for now I will go with no quilt. It's not worth the added expense and hubby would probably object anyway.

The duvet is called Casandra. You would need to find it on Ebay as PB is no longer selling it.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator