Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rallo_gw

Boring wall, Need some suggestions

rallo
9 years ago

I just moved into my first apartment and I would like some of your suggestions and ideas for a wall in my living room.
I'm getting a new TV stand for sure, something like the one in the link below. Also I'm thinking about placing a bookcase in the corner where the lamp is now. Thank you for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

PICS OF THE whole room would be helpful.

• rallo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the room

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

LOT of hard surface there... what will you be doing to soften up the room (and improve acoustics)?

• amykath
    9 years ago

You have a dark furniture, dark console picked out and ark everything else. I would really consider adding a large light rug with some color in it an some light and colorful artwork, pillows etc. Maybe you can get some inexpensive curtains. I always have luck at TJMaxx, Ross and Marshalls. Overstock is a great place for rugs and curtains as well.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Yes a longer console, like the one in the link is in better proportion to the the wall.

If the tv goes on the console, it will leave a sort of dead space above it. I would look for taller works of art for the sides and maybe something in relief above the tv, like a collection of those stars. If you are crafty, you could use one of those stars as a mold and make half a dozen more in paper mache. If there's only one size star, you could use different surface treatments, maybe all in the same color, like silver, or black. One with silver leaf, or antiqued tin foil, another with silver tempra, one using silver rub-on powder, silver sequins, etc.

Another option might be a rug or wall hanging (india batik) that fills almost the entire wall and goes behind the TV. You can often find those inexpensive India batiks with pretty prints at places like Urban Outfitters. The photo mural prints they are showing would look nice behind the couch as well.

Any cool textiles can also be stapled over a stretcher for a painting (search : artists stretcher bars) they are fairly easy to put together, someone at an art supply store can show you how. To stretch fabric over, you start with a staple at the middle of each side, then turn the frame, drawing the fabric tight and strait, adding a couple of staples near the middle -working out toward the corners, rotating to each side adding a couple staples, rotating, and continue until you reach the corners where you fold neatly and staple behind. Probably one of the easiest DIY art projects.

I see you have two matching end tables to the breakfast set. I would try one behind that couch corner with that tall lamp on it. Because you could use a coffee table with more umph, texture or interest even an old trunk or stack of suit cases).

Apartments are sometimes difficult to bring warmth into, so cold elements, like metal and glass, need something added to them to warm them up -like fabric runners, or wood bowls, etc.

A carpet and couch throw will also warm up the room. Look at TJ Max and discount stores, you can find good deals on pretty carpets that don't look like they were picked off the rack at Home Despot and often sell for less than at HD.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Outfitters Tapistry