Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totally_clueless

"kitchen" decor in the kitchen?

Totally.Clueless
9 years ago

What type of decor do you use in your kitchen?

I have my basics (table, lighting, ect.) and now I'm ready to bring in some stuff for my walls so soften my modern table and chairs. It's Ikea, and while I love it, it's way more modern than the rest of my house. I've considered framing some nifty tea towels.
There are many really cool looking tea towels with spoons or other kitchen type stuff on them. There are also many tea towels with other pretty nifty designs.

Like this one:
http://www.allmodern.com/Thomas-Paul-Vineyard-Moby-Tea-Towel-TT613-TMP2031.html?refid=SBT.

Or this one:
http://www.allmodern.com/Thomas-Paul-Vineyard-Octopus-Tea-Towel-TT615-TMP2033.html

My other rooms would be considered eclectic for sure. I have a mix of modern and vintage in every room and a variety of colors.

Is it cheesy to use "kitchen" stuff in the kitchen? I'm kind of digging these egg beaters:
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-kitchen-dishtowels-dish/32026106.jsp#/

And these veggies:
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-kitchen-dishtowels-dish/30360275.jsp#/

I can't remember how to post photos. Is it via Flickr?

Comments (9)

• Totally.Clueless
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah hah. Photobucket is the key. Here is what is currently in the kitchen. The photos are awful. Sorry! It's what I could get with my phone.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Think about it . . . most of us spend a LOT of time in our kitchens. Our family spends a LOT of time in our kitchens. Kitchens are supposed to be a nurturing place in a family home.

Sooooo, what do YOU, want to see in your very own kitchen , every day, all day long? Decorating is not something you do to put yourself in some magazine; decorating in your own home is how you create a place that nurtures you and yours.

So, what makes you and yours happy? If Modern art and minimalistic furnishings is what floats your boat, go for it. If a more traditional décor works best for you, go for it! And, everything and anything in between. It's ok if it makes you and yours happy and comfortable.

My advice is to look through decorating mags and places online and discover what YOU like. What styles? What colors? Take the time to find YOU and then go for it.

Looking at your pics, I see: Kids; Red; Black; Contemporary . . . and hovering as to where to go next.

My specific advice? Head over to Art.com and queue in "Contemporary" and look through what comes up that resonates with you. Scenic? Still art? Whatever. Buy it big. Mat it and frame it decently and let that move you on to accent pieces and colors.

The bottom line in my book is that every room in your home should make you and yours happy to be in it. Whether or not it is "magazine worthy" is b/s.
    Lynn

• Totally.Clueless
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well what I really want to put on my wall is an octopus! I have no idea why.

I'm having a slight freak out because our home will be on the Christmas home tour and 100's of people are about to tromp through my house.

I'm going to buy an octopus and call it a day! :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Totally, I have these plates at our beachhouse and love them

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Totally, If I came across sounding rude or flip, I am so sorry. I truly only meant to start you in the right direction to make YOU happy with the final result. I hesitate to give specific ideas as decorating, to me, means putting the "you and yours" in your home. I hope that others here can come up with some specific ideas for you, as Mtn has. Pretty plates, BTW!
    Lynn.

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

My house was on a Christmas house tour and the best piece of advice I can offer is to compare it to the day of your wedding..smile, make people feel welcome, block off areas that aren't open to the public, it's nice to have someone in the kitchen if your offering refreshments so you don't have to deal with that.
    Don't make yourself crazy cleaning..no one will see what you do.
    People will be very thankful that you shared your home with them and 4yrs later people that I don't know will tell me that they were in my house on the tour.
    Also, it's nice to offer a guest book..I was surprised that people came from different towns, some not very close at all.
    The only thing that I noticed after all was over was one small spot on the rug and nothing was missing or broken with over 300 people coming through.
    And yes, I'd do it again...good luck!

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

If you frame them, they won't look exactly like tea towels - they will look like framed "art". I personally prefer your first two tea towels. The other towels would be fun to use as a functional towel in the kitchen.

Bottom line, do what makes you happy because this is a room you will be using daily.

• starnold
    8 years ago

Love that Octopus! I chaired a home tour for 4 years; we put over a 1000 people thru each year with no problems, damages, etc. The coolest thing I ever saw at a Christmas home tour was a blender stuffed with colored mini xmas lights, stole that idea and do it now every year, Of course you have to unplug the blender!

• toriat
    8 years ago

I don't mind them as towels but I would not frame them.