Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

Can you tell me which tray you like for my ottoman please?

natureperson
10 years ago

I have decided to move the ottoman to the center of the sectional and put a tray on it, at least for now. I want to add more color to the sofa and this side of the room, as well as add tables and lamps.

Here is what my room and adjoining area looks like right now. Can you tell me which tray you like, if any? If you don't like any of them, what would you suggest?

Thank you.

Comments (27)

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Which one do you like, if any?

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

4 has the right color, to me -- picking up the banister color and the dining table set, but it's not hefty enough for the scale of the sofa.

8 is the right scale, but even though there's white elsewhere in the room, it just seems so stark.

I think the only tray color that, in my mind, would work with the surroundings and still give you a punch that brightens things up is red, but 2 doesn't quite hit it for me.

If you think red might work, you could gather paint chips that match the sofa and the caramelly colored wall and use the "Design Seeds" color-combining system to find a good red. (Design Seeds has a website, and I think it's on Pinterest, too.)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like the color of #4 also for bringing the dining room wood tones over to the living room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like 3, to try to bring the white from the other side of the room into the seating area.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

I agree with Mtnrdedux, #3. Or how about getting a mustard colored tray to pick up on paint color. Or pick an accent color you could bring into the space through tray, a pair of couch pillows, etc.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Will you be using the tray to sit drinks/snacks on at any time? The reason I ask is because I have a vintage tea tray similar in color and finish to #4. I have to be mindful of where I put the tea pot and cup and also coasters or such underneath them or any splash of liquid causes a white spot just like they would on a furniture top.

I like the red tray for your room.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

I like a lighter color tray - a darker tray will just disappear.

Are you planning to bring in any more color on your sectional? If not - I'd keep to a white tray... or even something with a metallic finish

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Hm, before even looking at the trays, I was thinking "orange." I would go with a colored tray and get pillows in coordinating colors/prints.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

agree with no soccer mom.

#2 is the closest. But even more of a persimmon or rhubarb color is what I envisioned.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Or turquoise? Or maybe yellow?

• catkin
    10 years ago

Live on the edge and go with #2!

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses!

jamies, I would not be using this as a place to hold drinks probably. Just a few items like magazines/books, and maybe a plant or snack dish.

pammyfay, I was leaning towards the dark too, but it would blend in too much I think. I need to find the right red for my space, even if not for the tray. I have a deep rust color on my kitchen walls (SW Flower Pot) that I would like to bring in to my living and dining area, or another color similar that works. I really like that Design Seeds website, but I'm confused as to how to find an exact color. She does a great job with color combining.

snookums, I like #4 also as long as I add color in the tray. I definitely will be adding more color to the sofa.

mtnrdredux and dilly, although that is a rustic looking white tray and it isn't too stark, I kind of like it too. Then when I put pillows on the sofa with white and red/deep rust, and other colors, it will all go I think.

schoolhouse, I know what you are saying about putting drinks in the tray on the ottoman. I don't plan to do that.

Janice, yes, I plan to add sofa pillows with lots of color.

nosoccermom, I like your idea of coordinating the tray color with the pillows and using orange. I see spicy orange/red and maybe even turquoise and yellow and other colors in the pillows.

catkin, thank you. I like the idea of living on the edge a little bit. :)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Why not something 'bright and shiny' rather than painted? I'm thinking a sterling silver(plated), unless you want p spend thousands of $$$. Ebay or etsy might be a good place to start the hunt, or local thrift stores. If you find one and you think it may have been pinted black, think again. With a little Barkeepers Friend Cleanser or BonAmi, it will sparkle and shine like new, and picture a tray full of crystal glasses for the holiday!

Sometimes it's nice to think outside the box and consider something 'old school' that could work into your decorating style. With your beautiful gray upholstery, SS would be stunning, as well as unique in today's decorating world.

A small silver tree in a vintage SS ice bucket or trophy would be a great pairing. ;o)

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patty_cakes, i like thinking out of the box and am intersted in bringing bright and shiny into my space, especially during the holidays. I don't know if I can find a sterling silver tray large enough for my ottoman, but I'll look.

Have you seen a picture of the tree in the ice bucket that you are describing? That sounds like it could look very eloquent for the holidays.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Yes, I've done it with the SS as well as a beautiful brass one that I found. Most 4'-5' trees come on a stand, and I just remove it, plop the tree in, and use pieces of broken brick left over from my build to hold it in place. Large size rocks could also e used. I also use a large urn from the garden department for a 6' champagne color tree. The only tree skirt is under the 10 footer in the greatroom.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Not a Christmas tree, but this months Southern Living features an Amaryllis in a silver ice bucket or cache pot. I am doing something similar for Christmas. I have a large silver punch bowl that I also use for décor at Christmas.

Have you considered something round for your tray? I have a rectangular ottoman that we do put our feet up on. When no feet are on it, it looked bare. I came up with the idea a flat, round wicker basket to store magazines and remotes in. It's lightweight, so easy to move around, plus we can still put our feet up!

• demifloyd
    10 years ago

I would go for one that was larger than the ones you have--in silver or pewter.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I love the dog for decoration on the ottoman. He/she gives symmetry to the tray! ;)

• amykath
    10 years ago

I used a round large flat bottom basket on my ottoman. Granted, my ottoman was square, but you can still get the idea.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patty_cakes, that sounds really pretty. Thanks for the idea!

newhomebuilder, I'll see if I can find SL magazine and look at that picture. I like your flat round basket on the ottoman (and the doggie). I used to have a really large basket on my large square ottoman in my previous decor. Maybe I should consider something similar here.

demifloyd, I have been having trouble finding larger trays. They don't seem so easy to find,

aktillery, beautiful room! Yes, that ottoman and basket looks similar to what I used to have, although my basket wasn't quite as deep and was larger. Maybe I should see how it looks on my current ottoman, although I don't think it will work very well. I'll have to take a picture.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Here's the idea. Such a nice touch of posh!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How about something like this? This is from Oscar de la Renta for 795.00 but I'm sure you can come up a less expensive version. Maybe glass frame and exchangeable fabric/paper underneath?

{{!gwi}}

• lorishopaholic
    10 years ago

I love the idea of a silver tray or some type of metal finish would look so pretty in your room!

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patty_cakes and lorishopaholic, I like the idea of a silver metal look too.

nosoccermom, ooh, what a pretty tray. A little steep in price, as you mentioned, but pretty. Also, a glass tray with fabric may work nicely.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Here's a design seed that on my Mac monitor shows the grey and brown tones you have, and suggests cranberry reds.

Tray #2 fits into this seed.
    And This is a bit more elaborate and maybe a bit more red than in the seed.

And here's one that keeps all the neutrals and suggests pearly shiny and silvery tones.

You have a really sophisticated palette and space. Maybe some mother of pearl will bring in the light and some shiny and echo the bling of your chandelier.

Lacquered tray

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, marji. I love both. I'm actually torn between adding some reds and keeping it more like the 2nd picture you posted. I don't want it to look too blah. It just so happens that I came across this c-table with a capiz shell top and kind of liked it for my space. Not sure though, and now that you posted these pics, I think I'm more confused. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: capiz table