Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frmrsdghtr_gw

Looking for inexpensive ideas to improve the look of this home

frmrsdghtr
9 years ago

Considering putting an offer on this home, but I can't get over how ugly it is.... ideas??

Comments (29)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Not ugly -- just unloved at this time ....

a)Depending on siding -- a fresh coat of paint in gray to match the roof .... paint moldings in white -- add much thicker flat wood moldings around the main windows -- and in the future -- add window boxes under the two windows on the left-hand side of the house ....

b)Add gutters and downspouts along rooflines of the front roofs for the porch to control water drainage

c)Make the pillars of the porch far more substantial in a square shape and much more secure .... add horizontal railing and squared vertical spindles to create a strong visual line

d)add walkways on both sides of the house -- from the front steps ....

e)add gardens

f)add outdoor lighting -- including larger lantern by the front door

g)paint front door in deep red or dark green

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't know your circumstances, and without knowing them, I'd say don't make an offer on a house you think is so ugly, you can't get over it. Keep looking.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Do you love the inside, the location and the neighborhood?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I agree that it really isn't ugly, it is just lacking any ornamentation. The double dormer is kind of a charming feature (or could be). That is a nice porch, too, although I can't tell if it is a bit shallow.

Paint. You would be amazed at what a difference taking a house from total white to a color/color combination can make. If you can't afford to paint the whole house right away, then paint the trim either grey, black, or a darker blue or green

Agree on adding trim/shutters around the windows and door, to disguise that they are proportionally too small for the spaces.

Maybe a raised planting bed across the front, larger house number and a decorative thingy above the house numbers (like the star on the house next door), place some large planter boxes on the front edge of the porch with some pretty low-growing evergreens and flowers until you can afford a nice railing.

Plant a strip of landscaping along the sidewalk that ends in a nice circle or square around the mailbox (which has been reset to be straight). Paint the mailbox a nice red or blue or purple that sets off whatever color the house is).

Long term (and more $$) I would like to replace the windows with larger.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Upon looking at the photo once again, I would be concerned about the house next door having lots of stuff/junk sitting outside. Wouldn't be good for resale if they're hoarders or slobs.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Do you love this inside and location? Is the price right? If so, you can do a ton to improve the exterior! Its not bad; a few things could make it look fantastic!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Inexpensive?

Run.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Raze it and build new.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

The house next door looks like they have kids. I see a bike, not sure why they are hoarders?

To me, the most important is location. So, as others have asked, why are you considering this home?

You certainly can do a lot to it to make it less "ugly."

• lilylore
    9 years ago

The problems with the house are:
    1. Trim and siding painted one color, white.
    2. Dormer disturbs the roof line.
    3. Unbalanced plantings.

To improve the look of the house, paint the trim and windows a different color, I would go black (and greys, perhaps) you might also consider shutters on the larger windows? Also paint the facing of the soffits to accentuate the lines.

Accent the porch to create overall architectural interest. Paint the porch supports the accent color Or even consider bulking them up. Add wood painted rails and wood two rails for the steps with another set of pillars at the entrance. At least add attractive porch furniture. Get a new front door/screen. Get larger, accent painted, easy to read numbers; if you only splurge on these and scrimp on every thing else, it will be money well spent.

Plant bushes or day lilies near along the front of the porch, and get another large bush to put at the other side of the picture window. You can often find free (or "for the digging") day lilies on Craigs List in the spring, plant each day lily 'fan' 6" apart and they will fill in in 4 years. Snow Ball (hydrangea) bushes grow relatively fast and spread, you might just approach someone with over grown bushes and ask that you will pay ($5 ea) for a couple of 'runners' that you will dig (and will replace with soil) from the outside edges of their plants. Those little first year shoots are what you want for transplant, and they make full bushes in 3-4 years. Also look for "Plant Sales" from gardeners in the Spring, sometimes asking for what you want, (hydrangea shoots) will give you a lead to someone who might have some for sale.

A flowering tree planted in front of that window in the middle of the yard would be nice to look at from inside and offer a little privacy.

get a better, or at least attractive mail box stand.

On the family next door issue, they may move before you do, the kids may grow up and the yard toys disappear before you decide to sell your house. And if you do decide to sell sooner, you could put a fence between them and you.

If you love the home inside, and the price, the outside is a make-over miracle waiting to happen.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 16:24

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Enlarge the photo and see a bunch of junk piled in front of their garage. Maybe they're just slobs.

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of great ideas here. Agreed that beefing up the porch pillars and paint would go along way. I thought the pic looked like the neighbors were having a garage sale but now I'm not sure. I think it needs a few more drive-bye's. Thanks for all the ideas.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yeah, it's pretty bad. You can do some tweaking to improve the front facade, but to really fix it would require some major investment. The double gable with different slopes and then the 3rd slope of the main roof line just make for an oddly shaped structure.

It may be just the angle of the shot, but the right leg of the front porch does not appear to be perpendicular...I would definitely check it out as it may be a hint to poor structural integrity.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Those poor porch posts look like they're about to buckle from the weight of the gables :-) They need to be beefed up to put the house back in proportion. Then if you added some porch railings and painted the body of the house a different color, I think it would make a huge difference.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Paint would improve the ugly look you can't get over frmrsdghtr. Improvements can be added and done over time. I would paint the place, more than one color. And plant a tree in the front.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Someone explain this to me. According to Zillow it just sold on August 1, 2014. Zillow listing

However, Trulia shows it as being active and as being first listed on August 16, 2014 Trulia listing

Trulia has interior photos. Lots of strange angles.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

For $74,000 I could put up with some ugly.

In terms of very quick fixes, I was thinking a couple of potted shrubs flanking the door. It would balance the bush on the left and make the entry look more inviting.

Paint would help enormously, as would some of the porch improvements others have suggested.

But one of the issues with the ugly is the rooflines. The angles of the two gables are at odds with each other, and it just looks funky. The angle on the main roof is remarkably flat, which also contributes to the ugly.

The interior is that bad combination of dated and not particularly well-maintained. They didn't put any effort into fixing anything in preparation for sale, but at $74K, maybe that's to be expected. I'd be a bit concerned about what maintenance issues might not be visible.

• Jayme.Dav
    9 years ago

Oh come on its not ugly. Its a perfect house to be converted into a cottage. Cottage styled homes are getting more value now.

First of all you need to color it into a darker shade. I would suggest you to color it into dark gray shades with stripes of red color at boundaries.

Secondly, remodel the entrance of the home by replacing the door with a heavily carved wooden one.

If you like to convert it into a cottage then do let me know... i will give ore tips and ideas. But for a start, these 2 ideas are enough.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I looked at the area with the zillow or trulia google image map and it looked fine. No hoarders or junk around.

It has a great deal of potential. Could be super darling. Just be sure the foundation, siding, plumbing and electrical are ok. Unless, you plan on redoing some of that.

Keep us posted!

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

It looks like it was added onto just to gain space without any thought given to how to mesh the old and new. The price is great, but that's the only good thing I can say. It would require an architect and major re-working and expense to de-uglify it.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Whatever you do, GET A HOME INSPECTION!! Make sure the inspector is certified. It will be money well spent!

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It went pending yesterday! It's been for sale for a long time but way overpriced and yesterday they dropped the price again to where we would consider it but it went pending a couple of hours later!

• awm03
    9 years ago

I don't find that house to be ugly. It says small town craftsman's special to me. It's certainly not cookie cutter design, which IMO is ugly. My father grew up in the house his grandfather had built: small, poor layout, but still going strong over a hundred years later. There is more character in that kind of house than in any McMansion with superficial bling.

Just be aware that the price is low for a reason. Money will need to be spent on other things before you can pretty it up on the inside or out. Looks like it needs a new roof and definitely gutters, so there's a chunk of change right there. Can you afford a paint job after getting the house waterproofed?

Here it is in gray, a blue door, & the awkward shrub cut back:

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

where to start is a better question. the house looks like it started it's life as a farm house, and generations just bolted things on.

i'd start with install it yourself window mullions. (they're cheap and easy to install). those single pain windows makes the house look cheap from the start. esp. the large window to the left.

what ever color you put on the house, stay away from the colors of those of the 50s.(like the neighbors) i like the idea of a light warm grey with maybe a hint of burgandy siding and a slightly darker gray green trim. if you want to make a statement, go darker on the trim.

from there you have the background colors on a blank canvas. and you have a lot of canvas.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oops, sounds like you missed it.
    Was it bank-owned? That would explain the high sales price (foreclosed) and it then being on the market soon thereafter with subsequent priced drops.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Maybe the fates sent you a message. "Don't buy an ugly house." The right one is waiting for you or this deal may fall through. Good luck. I would not want those messy neighbors.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

did i miss it.. or are you all missing the elephant in the room??? ... well.. outside the house ...

this house is not a kid friendly house in that it is what looks like.. 6 feet from the street ...

i think that severely impacts resale value ...

as a bachelor.... it wouldnt bother me for a minute ...

as big daddy ... i would NEVER contemplate the house as viable ...

ken

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Is it pending to you or someone else? If itâÂÂs to you and assuming it passes inspections I would mostly just clean it up on the outside with a good pressure wash, get all the walkways and porch as well. Is that siding that is washable? If so keep the white color but paint the trim and get a new door. A door with add value and be the most immediate gratification. You could start with a few background shubs that could be added to down the road.
    However, if someone else got it itâÂÂs meant to be.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

jterrilynn - That looks fantastic! The house went from HOMELY to HOMEY.

OP, I hope you can get the house. Put an offer in!