Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Help with window treatments pls

violetwest
10 years ago

**updated with links to the draperies I ordered below**

Aka "WTs" -- see? I'm learning!

So, I've never in my life installed draperies, and now, after 11 months on my new home I'm starting to consider what I need and it'sore complicated than I expected. I pretty much know I want simple linen type neutral brownish and casual curtains with oiled bronze hardware. Simple, right? Er...

Right now ill address the two windows at either end of my long narrow open lining space. Window 1 is the large one which looks toward the street. Window 2 is smaller and looks toward the backyard.

Window 1 shown below is 71" wide, and 81" from floor to top of window. As I understand it, I'm looking for curtains that are off the floor 1/2 inch, and hung at least 4" above the window (some places say halfway between top and the ceiling.) These will be open and closed often for privacy. I'm leaning toward grommet tops for ease.

So, if I order from RH, say, they come in 50"wide/84" long -- do you think that's the right size? that would only allow for hanging 3 1/2 inches above the window. If I got the next size up, 96" long, that would be . . . too long, eh?

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 22:15

Comments (13)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's window 2 on the other end. Same height but 36" wide. It seems ludicrous to order the same width as the Larger window.

• theclose
    10 years ago

How high are your ceilings? I have 8' ceilings and I did use 84" curtains in my daughter's room, although if doing custom I would have gone longer like I have elsewhere (90"). I prefer my curtains to hang closer to the ceiling than the window. So my thought is if you have the height in your room for 96", then do that.

And I agree that the narrower window doesn't need the same width as the wider window. That is a huge difference. I had different width windows in my dining room but they only differed by 9" so I did same width.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmm. really don't wanna go custom. will keep looking, maybe.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

When your draperies are closed you should still have soft pleats. The idea is not to have a flat panel of fabric over your window.
    Pleated drapes require fullness of 2.5 to 3x's the width of the window.
    Tab curtains or grommet curtains give you more flexibility, but you still want, at a VERY MINIMUM 1.5x's fullness.
    So your big window is 70". You'll want to hang your rods to extend 5-6" past the window to allow for stack back... The fabric should cover wall and not all glass when they're open. So now your rod is 80". If you buy 4 50" panels you'll have 200" of flat fabric, which gives you 2.5x's fullness.

For your smaller window that is 36 I'd order 2 panels which will give you nice fullness. And you'll want to hang a 46" rod.

84" is the std length panel for 8' ceilings and typical builder window height.
    Draperies to the ceiling used to only be available in custom panels. Now that so many houses are being built w 9' and 10' ceilings ready made companies have been offering the 96" length. You can order those and hem them if you want panels hung to the ceiling.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

very helpful! so, if I put 2 panels on each side of the big window -- you don't connect them to each other, leaving an opening? Realizing that if they're full enough, you wouldn't see the opening? Prob'ly a dumb question

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Not a dumb question.
    Ideally, you would have two panels, each one 100" across. But that's not how Ready-mades are sold these days. So, yes, you can hang all 4 panels individually, but it would be really nice to somehow connect the two panels on each side so that when you close the draperies you get even coverage and don't have to stretch one panel flat.
    If you sew you could just run a stitch to seam them together at a side hem.
    If you don't sew, I think I'd at least improvise by using bull-dog clips (nothing fancy, the kind you use in your desk, office style bulldog clips) and clipping the panels together at least up near the grommets on the back side so that they pull together.

Maybe someone on here has some really good advice about using multiples.

Because you'll have a nice fullness I'd take a look at your wall around each window and decide where you want to hang the rods. I'd be tempted to carry the rod all the way into the corner on your large window, and then carry it an equal amount on the other side of the window. You'll have more stackback on the wall than is strictly necessary but it'll be a nice look.

Edit to add: Look closely at the pic I posted above. You can see that there are 3 distinct separate panels on the one side above. See where the soft pleat looks like it's double? That's two panels butted up against each other.

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 22:59

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I see, thanks. I notice now my window isn't actually centered on the wall, which looks kind of strange. On the left hand side there's only 14" which isn't a lot of space.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeeee! So, I'm reviving this thread because I ordered my curtains today. Penny's is having a sale --they're like 75% off with free shipping, so couldn't not.

So grateful for the advice received here. I ordered 4 of the color blocked panels in blue/cream/beige in the 96 length for the large front window; and 2 of the ones that are semi-sheer on the top and beige on the bottom for the smaller window at the other end of the house. Never thought I'd order anything beige by preference, but I don't want the curtains to scream -- I've got enough going on!

Here is a link that might be useful: color blocked curtains

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 22:19

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and here's the link to the semi-sheer ones, since it wouldn't let me save an image:

Here is a link that might be useful: semi-sheer on top

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Those are very pretty Voilet.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks. I had kind of a freak out after I ordered them, thinking that maybe I should have gone for the more neutral color choice for versatility. But color makes me happy!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I think they'll look really nice in your room.