Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romy718

Advice needed on reusing dated drapes

romy718
10 years ago

I need help figuring out what type of rod and hardware system to hopefully reuse the side panels of these drapes. I am redecorating this dining room that became a casualty of my kitchen reno. I'm in the process of removing the wallpaper & choosing a paint color to lighten the look. I took the valance down which was covering a transom window so the room is brighter already.
These drapes were made to be covered by the valance. Can I reuse them and make them look like they were meant to be panels. They puddle on the floor so I can hang them higher. What type of rod and hardware system should I buy? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (16)

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what the top looks like without the valance.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the window with the drapes down & the wallpaper going. I'm going to paint the crown molding white. I'm sorry about the quality of the picture. I will post another one when the lighting is better.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Wow romy, what an awesome view out of that beautiful window! In other threads I've already come out as preferring bare windows, so just advance warning that's where I'm coming from. :)

I don't think the top of your drapes (minus the valance) look bad at all, but my style is more casual. I love plain, light-colored panels. Are you planning to keep the sheers?

I have "drapes" (panels) over two sliding glass doors. They have different treatments at the top (different rooms so it doesn't matter). One uses tabs at the back of the panels and the top of the rod doesn't show. The other uses rings and you can adjust the location of the clip to show as much or as little of the rod and/or ring tops as you like. I don't know if simple panels would work in your more formal space. It's easy with a drill, level, and some anchors if you aren't going into studs.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Since the panels look as is they are narrow I'd use two short rods with rings to attach the curtain hooks into. Something like the photo in the link below only you'll want the panels to slightly cover at least part of the wood trim so they'll relate to the windows.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Linelle. I'm not planning to rehang the sheers. Of course, I just figured out late last week that I didn't have enough left over wallpaper to cover the wall where we closed a doorway. I've wanted to replace the wallpaper since the day it was hung so not all bad.
    Edit: added pic. I am not going to miss this wallpaper!

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 13:46

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was wondering what kind of taste I had that made me choose that wallpaper. While not a good choice, not as bad as what the previous HO had.
    Justgotabme, that's really pretty. That is just about the width of my panel, 9 hooks. I've got too much space between the trim & the wall to attach a rod to the wall. Do you a source for that rod or something similar? Thanks!

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think what you have would look fine without the valance and on a traverse rod that is meant to be exposed.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

No, I'm sorry I don't have a source for the exact rods, but you can buy closet dowel rods at Lowe's the size you need then paint or stain them to match finials and brackets they sell in their drapery department.
    I tried to pull up my search again, but I can't remember the wording I used. I'll try some more ideas and see what I can find.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I found it and viewed the blog instead of just the image this time.

Here is a link that might be useful: RML Custom Home Blog

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think the pinch pleats are fine. You can use the shorty rods as just gotta be me recommended, or you can buy one long decorative rod to run the width of the window. If you look at the window treatment ideas thread, I think you'll see samples of both.

Depending on how far you want to go with this, you could do other things like add a border to the leading edge, or along the bottom. You could redo the pinch pleats so they are reversed like a box pleat from the front and have them that way...or stitch them down some and add a button or two...or add a border across the top.

You can also either continue to use the tie back or let the panels hang straight.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Hang the new rod higher -- and just leave the pinch pleats -- they look just fine!

Can't WAIT to see the finished room -- the transformation will be wonderful!

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much.
    Justgotabeme- thanks for taking the time to find me that link.
    Annie-I've been saving pics of panels from your window treatment thread. I'll have to look more closely at the details & rods.
    Ineffablespace & Teacats- I'm hoping they will do as is. The only sewing project I ever completed was a skirt made out of dotted swiss in 8th grade-it was see thru so wasn't wearable in those days. Today-maybe so.
    Once I select a paint color, i can select a rod color.
    Linelle-I have a feeling this window might be naked on Christmas! Time is flying by.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You're welcome romy.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I second teacats idea. Are you sure you want to put back the sheers? Those windows are gorgeous and so is your view! I would have never known from the previous photos of the before pics with your window treatments covering that gorgeous window.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I love the window/view too. Would want to keep it as open as possible. Like all the ideas posted, it is so interesting to read different options, you guys are great.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

Even with the remodle mess in the room those windows look way better with the view than they ever did covered with curtains.