Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

does anyone have a brick interior wall?

amykath
9 years ago

In our new home I would like to add a rustic and "old looking" brick wall on a long wall that needs so interest.

Anyone, use brick veneer or even have a brick wall to share.

Any ideas, photos, info etc wold be MUCH appreciated!

Comments (30)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Funny you should ask...our old house has come on the market again...pic below is with their furnishings, not ours. 50s ranch with an interior brick wall where the fireplace was, now a wood stove and it turned into a divider between the LR and the DR. You can probably recognize those MCM bricks. We painted them as they were originally just made out of gray cement. We also put in the carved lotus screen as the divider between the two rooms. I'm glad to see they kept it.

Our current house has a stone veneer behind the woodstove. We capped it in a beam salvaged from the old 1790s house that was on the property.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

My daughter lives in a brownstone in Boston. Here's the brick interior wall of her LR. She has the same brick in her bedroom. It's charming!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

She just moved in. The sofa is brand new, from Ikea last weekend. I don't know why it looks torn on the front leg. It's not torn IRL. Here's the outside.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Bonnieanne, my parents' house is a brownstone on the border of Boston, house in which I grew up. When they re-did what was the servant kitchen on the main floor (sounds snootier than it is!), they made sure to have the original brick wall exposed. Like your daughter's place, it's charming and adds so much.

aktillery, you can't go wrong with a brick wall, reclaimed wood, etc. Those things go with everything, every conceivable style of decor, etc.

I'm sure you saw kwsl's GORGEOUS basement floor, right?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful photos and I do love brick.

Mtn, maybe you are right. Maybe I need to come up with another idea for that wall. Or just paint it and that is it.

It is too bad, bc I adore old brick! My husband had a house in Queen Anne is Seattle. It was built in 1904 and he remodeled it and yet redid the basement. It was pretty modern and had a lovely brick wall he added. It was the coolest house Both craftsman and modern. I guess it worked bc it was an old home.

I guess we will see what we can do.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Here is an exposed brick wall in our kitchen. Not the best pic to show the wall, but you see enough of it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

AKT, what would an old building in your area look like? Maybe you can do a clay wall (not nec. the color, the texture).

We used American Clay on some of the newer areas of our house, to make them feel old. It was tinted to match FnB whites. The texture can be very subtle; i don't think ours barely shows up in a photo, it's just enough to feel "not new". A bit like plaster.

There are lots of choices of color and texture. Excuse this photo if it is too stereotypical!

It has to be done with skill or it can look Amusement-park-like IYKWIM. Like the entry to the OK-corral-ride.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is beautiful! I do not think in my house it would work, but definitely in the hill country. We do not have an mcm but still somewhat modern and straight lined home. I am considering a stone similar to our siding stone. Its called Austin White chalk limestone. I guess we shall see.

Thanks again all!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think bringing in the limestone would be gorgeous. Sorry, dont know what I thought you were in hill country !

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

OH No ..I'm too late ..Change of mind?
    I so want to do a veneer brick wall and was hoping to watch you go through the process.
    This photo has been my screen saver for so long.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A LOT Of contemporary architecture uses brick walls!

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For, gorgeous!!!!

Love the photos!!!

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Here is an exposed brick wall in our kitchen. Not the best pic to show the wall, but you see enough of it.

{{!gwi}}

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the photos.

Nuts, Your photo did not show up.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

There are exposed brick walls in Gruene (e.g. The Gristmill, etc.), and in New Braunfels (e.g. the restaurant that is in the old post office--McAdoo's). So, maybe you could get away with importing that look? I have a thing for the glass-fronted Subzero 48" freestanding refrigerators placed in front of old brick walls. I don't know why, but I think that refrigerator looks best against old brick walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe the website has interior shots?

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 10:05

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, kitchen, you are right. I've been to that restaurant many times. It's places like that, in my area that make me love brick!

Are you from the area?

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

One of the DSes lives nearby. I am about southeast of Austin about 60 miles. Older DS's SO has family in Hunt. I have studied the area formally. So, yes, lots of ties to the area. Do you ever drop in at The Witliff?

Here is a link that might be useful: So sorry I missed this speaker this year

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hmm, I didn't know that Cormac McCarthy was Rhode Islander who moved to Texas; interesting.

The mill place looks cool --- the wood is great, but is that too hackneyed and casual for you to use anywhere? I remember a discussion about windows and exterior cladding, but I don't recall the style of your house ATK

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchen, No, I need to go and visit.

Here is what I have thus far for the style of our home. It will be all austin white chalk limestone, Darker metal roof and bronze exterior windows. There will be wood used for the porch and the back porch which is huge. We have load of oaks in front so that will help with privacy and landscaping.

Some of the house is cut out on both sides of my image. All is not in perfect size as I guestimated.

Here is a rough drawing.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Now I remember! Love metal roofs, and limestone, swoon.
    So what style would you call it?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no idea what you would call it. haha Maybe, someone here can give me a term.

Here is a mockup with our existing trees and some we will plant. I just added random shrubbery.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Contemporary Texas Hill Country.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually the oaks on the left are much much taller and also more branched out and not so thick as pictured here, so you will be able to see the house through the trees.

came up with two names for our style Contemporary Ranch or Modern Ranch. Modern probably is not the best way to describe it.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

DH and I are having dinner at McAdoo's tomorrow! I have often thought that if I built again, I would send an architect over there to mimic all the beautiful detail of that old post office.

The Wittliff is wonderful but I'm probably biased since it's located in my town (and alma mater). Plus Cormac is my favorite author - pure poetry.

I agree with Kitchen, it is very specifically "Contemporary Tx Hill Country." The look is rarely found outside of the area. Bringing the exterior stone to the interior is commonly done. Our foyer is all stone:

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Saw this cartoon in The New Yorker and it made me think of this thread. You have to add your own caption (it's from the caption contest) but one suggestion is âÂÂYou get the exposed brick youâÂÂve always wanted, and I get to watch the second half in peace.âÂÂ

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Posting because I love this apartment (my nephew's), and I always wanted to show off the window....so now with a brick thread I have the opportunity.

ML

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Aha! So I know I got Hill country from somewhere (but what does CT yankee know?). But if it's also Contemporary/Modern, seems like you have a lot of lee way

Magdalena, the stone is great!

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Magda and Maddie, those are so jaw dropping photos! So nice!

That is funny De!

Thanks for your input as always mtn!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Mtn, that mill place is brick, stone, and wood inside. Fabulous scale and wonderful. Not hackneyed if it is the vernacular.