Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ineffablespace_gw

Some contractors are great.

ineffablespace
10 years ago

Over a period of time, including when I was reading along but hadn't joined yet (reading along sounds better than lurking), I've read a lot of posts about how contractors do things wrong, damage things, and disappear.

I am have a significant project, a basement bath, going on. This requires plumbing from the ground up and all new electrical , etc.

After having some negative experiences with electricians, I have a really good one, but he is super expensive, which sometimes makes me think of using someone else.

They did a great job on the install but one of them dropped a tool on the new bathtub and took a big chip out of it. (There was something thin covering it so I am not sure the worker noticed, there were three electricians there that day)

I emailed the owner, let him know, and the next morning someone was there to take a look, a new tub was ordered and they will have it installed, no questions asked.

On my part, I notified him the minute I saw it, so there is no question that I did it later on myself, and I did not scream, yell or demand anything. I said "I think one of your guys chipped the tub accidentally and I don't want to start off a new bathroom with a chipped or patched tub, what are your thoughts on replacing it?"

In the scheme of this job and more to come, the cost of the tub and installation is not a lot (about 10% of what they are charging for the bath and some other work at this time), but I am sure a lot of contractors might have given me a hard time anyway.

Nice to know that there are people who do the right thing.

Comments (3)