Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarzy_gw

RE: Spanish Revival/Mexican/Mediterranean Style - Part IX

tarzy
17 years ago

I just had to start a new thread - the old one was way too long! I hope everyone is doing well. Where is everyone????

So, I need more advice. As usual. I have a few days off work, which is always dangerous. I walked into the dining room and suddenly HATED the chandelier. It's just not working!

Ideas, please? The furniture is mostly my Pottery Barn (affordable) stuff, which isn't that interesting or even Spanish/Med looking. To me, the chairs are all wrong - too traditional (Pottery Barn Napoleon style) but we have to live with it all for now, until we can afford new, which may be a while.

Maybe if I find the right chandelier I can stand the table & chairs a bit longer? Thank goodness for accessories!

Here is a link that might be useful: dining room

Comments (150)

• tropisol
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

{{gwi:1867575}}

just testing.

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Now here is an amazing use of color for you Spanish color fans!

I'm ready to book an apartment...great prices!

Reminds me of Binsb's Casa de Colores!

Here is a link that might be useful: Color color and more color!

• cyn10
    16 years ago

Fantastic! Thanks so much for posting these pictures. I picked up a serape at a yard sale yesterday and was wondering how it would look as a wall hanging in my vacation home (3000 miles away), so it was great to see a picture of one being used that way.

• sfamarchi
    16 years ago

I love the Spanish Mediterranean decor style. Here are a few images to inspire..

{{gwi:1867576}}

{{gwi:1867577}}

{{gwi:1867578}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Style Home Design and Decorating

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

Tropisol, those photos are absolutely delicious! Seriously -- those accommodations look good enough to eat! Wow!

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Wow - it has surely been awhile since a post here. :-)) Where are you all? I've seen Trop & Jackabedy post a couple of times on other threads but not a one here and I'd hate to lose our thread to the 'ethersphere'.

As for moi, I've finally gotten tile in the kitchen - Oh Yeah! as I've only had it over a year - so will post photos of that in the next week or two. Need a neat and tidy kitchen to do so and Cdn Tksgvg will be upon us shortly so prolly after that. Also have gotten the MBdrm basics done but need decor thots shared on that room. May post that in the main (as in a separate) thread with a link here. Maybe y'all could help out.

Hope everyone gets back here now that 'summer fun' is over.
    TTYS
    Holly

• B H
    16 years ago

Hello, everyone!

I think it's been MONTHS since I posted here.

I haven't caught up with all the old posts but I see some fantastic things that I can't wait to sink my eyes into!

It's been a crazy several months for us. I went home to take care of my Mom who had a heart problem (all fine now) and then went straight into another IVF cycle.

I am happy to announce that I am pregnant...with TWINS!

I am just into the 2nd trimester so starting to breathe a bit easier now.

Will be planning that nursery again and just can't decide whether to stay true to Spanish/Colonial/Filipino style or go to something more stream-lined & crisp. The room is small 11x10 so I can't get too wild with color.

HOLLY - I have NO idea what the fabric in chair is but I do know they purchased just about everything in San Miguel de Allende.

Waves to Tarzy, Trop (love the bathroom redo) and all the recent posters!

Hope that Fall brings back everyone!

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

BINS !! I am so excited to hear from you again and even more so with the GREAT NEWS!! Wishing you continued blessings and good health. Two ! Oh Wow. LOL!

Keep us posted with your Nursery ideas. Maybe streamlined is the way to go considering you'll have alot more duplicates of things, not two mention two cribs. They don't stay young that long so a couple/three years down the road you can 'change it up' so to speak, then.

TY for the fabric info. Maybe I'll try a search on SMA fabric and see if anything pops. Very hard to find colorful fabric such as that up here in the frozen north.

Hope to get the photos (mentioned above) taken and uploaded soon, maybe Sunday. Other stuff always seems to intervene.

CYA all soon I hope.
    Holly

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Binsb.....I am SOOOO over the moon for you guys! So good to hear your "voice" again!!

Holly...yes, yes, yes....give us a bone, Sistah...give us some pics. I KNOW you have been creating magic.

We did two baths this summer, and are heading into a quasi kitchen thingy (can't you just smell the commitment and determination on me?!)

Hey...how 'bout this...I'll post pics if you do?????snicker.

Next.....

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Challenge ON Trop - so here are mine.

At my house, the tiling finally got done in the kitchen. Here is one pic

More on URL Link below.
    We are so happy to finally have the tiling done but of course there are the moving on issues always upcoming.
    :-))

On to those in a moment.

Now let us see your bath redo + kitchen plans Trop! And all the other good stuff you do so wonderfully at. :-))

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Tile

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Onto the Guest Bdrm -->
    I'll insert one pic here but am always concerned whether it will affect bandwidth for some folks. I'd think the majority are on high speed of some type but just in case, seems easier to give folks another option.

One Guest Bdrm Pic to follow and the link will have others.

I'm feeling challenged about this window (and above the bed so weigh in as you wish.

Click on *Middle Bedroom* on the link to go to this Bdrm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guest Bedroom

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Hey Holly...you've been busy, girl! Love your coffee center and the little niche by your stove...very cool! The kitchen looks very warm and very useful!

As far as the Guest room, have you thought about two panels on either side of the window? Simple muslin or linen...or maybe something much more textural and thick...almost tapestry like. Then maybe put a small chest of drawers or table directly under the window (but no longer than the window itself).

Just my thoughts....Ok...I'll put some of my pics on tonight.

Next!!

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Hi Trop - No room for chest under window, otherwise couldn't get to bed. :-)) I'll try the Turquoise panels I had up (kinda) before I got the blind, take a pic or two then post and see what you guys think.

Looking forward to your pics & TY about the kitchen. It's getting there however slowly!

Binsb - I'm worried. Are you safe from these dreadful fires? Hope you (and anyone else exposed to this situation) are not badly affected. Blessings.

• tropisol
    16 years ago

A-ha..I see. Then, maybe, you could put a rod Iron(maybe old,rusty) mexican looking piece under the window.

I would stay with curtains close to the wall color(but with lot's of texture)...or a natural/white which would reflect the ceiling color and open up the room.

Oy..Binsb and San Diego...Yikes. Never put them together. My uncle lives there and has had to evacuate...ton's of smoke he says.

Workin' on the pix...workin...

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

And workin' on the pix and . . . :-)) Hope your uncle is okay Trop and likewise for Binsb and all of theirs.

Can't recall whether we've seen this site before but it surely has some neat (though somewhat pricey) stuff for those into Med/Span or even French decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accents of Salado

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Aww, thanks for your patience. Tough, busy week (lots o' babies) I'm getting to it, though. Promise.

I'll check out the site you linked in the mean time. Thanks. NEED some major span/med eye candy.

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Here's some eye candy for ya! Hope they'll both join us and show us more. :-))

Here is a link that might be useful: Neat Span/Med Pix

• athoele
    16 years ago

I am so excited that Holly gave me this thread. So glad to be here. Thats our home in Hollys recent post. We are just getting started on this major project of a home, but I love that you guys are here to share it with me, and to see yours!!! Look forward to chatting with you all!

• kim2007
    16 years ago

I think I found the end of this thread...maybe it will have to break off into its own special forum ; ) At any rate, I wanted to show a picture of the sideboard my husband and I found at a resale shop...back in Illinois, not New Mexico! We hauled it back here in the Ranger and it just barely fit. We *think* it's Mexican, but we really don't know for sure. Has anyone ever seen anything similar to this, and what do you think it is? I don't think it is particularly old or valuable, but we thought it was perfect for our Southwestern home:

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Kim - that is one very cool chest! What a great find and in Illinois for goodness sake. LOL!! I've no clue what on furniture history but love the detailing on the doors and those unique handles. With the pile of cans, would I be guessing wrong if I thought you stripped it down? Possibly from being a dark stained piece to a light stained? Wonderful find regardless.

Trop - SOS - need your help. The link to those homes in SoCal that were on a movie location page - called home something home I think - has gone MIA on my computer. Has lots of Span/Med homes on it. Remember it had the huge (read many steps) kitchen that was super neat? I'm pretty sure you were the one that originally found it. Do you know what I mean and if so could you put it in again? Purty please? :-))

Bins - I NEED your Xmas deco pics (which it seems I stupidly didn't save) to get ready for Xmas. I bot some serape's in Mex last year and am making them into tubes like you did but I need to see your pics as you did such a fab job with them. I'm pretty good at duplicating (read copying) but I'm no self-inspired artist. :-))

Wonder where Tarzy is? Haven't seen her about since May or so.

• kim2007
    16 years ago

holly bc, thanks! Those cans are from all the painting that we've been doing in different places around the house since we moved in 3 years ago! It's still a work in progress and will be for some time because there is just so much yet to do. We'll keep the finish/color that the sideboard is stained right now, but it definitely needs some TLC because it looks a bit dry and dull. I'm not sure what to do to it to keep it taken care of properly. Any suggestions out there would be most welcome.

• robin_g
    16 years ago

This was in today's San Antonio Express-News, and has a lot of photos linked to the article. They did an amazing job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hacienda

• B H
    16 years ago

Ugh. Would you believe my laptop crashed??!?!? I lost all those pics! I'll see if I can find them elsewhere (I'm sure I posted them somewhere else).

Thanks for the concern on the fires - we were extremely lucky as it did not even come near us. But, a lot of our friends had to evac.

I am so jealous of all the pics & projects.

Ok...of to hunt for Christmas photos!

• B H
    16 years ago

• B H
    16 years ago

• kim2007
    16 years ago

binsd, WOW--did you make those decorations?! If not, where could I find such FANTASTIC holiday things?

• B H
    16 years ago

Hi, Kim - I didn't really make them. I bought the tin ornaments, paper flowers and straw ornaments from a local shop (San Diego's Old Town Bazaar del Mundo). I bought the colorful serapes at the same shop and cut them into strips. Just attached everything to the pre-lit garland. It was pretty easy to do!

BTW - I love your sideboard!

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Binsb - TY so much! I'm using our very old and slow computer at the moment cause guess what? We're living under the same lucky star! My hard drive also crashed on Saturday -- first one I've ever had do that. So now I gotta get it fixed and meantime use this glacially slow old one. :-)) I'll have to wait to follow the links until I get mine fixed.

Thanks for the San Antonio article Robin. Can't look at the slide show on this old girl but will surely be interested to see it once mine is up and running again.

I've no idea what kind of damage has occured. Hopefully I can restore most all. Keep your fingers crossed for me gals. :-))

CYA soon I hope.

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Sooo it wasn't the HD but the Vid Card all gunked up. Mmmm plus a non-operating case fan and a failing power supply. :-)) Well we're all fixed up now (I hope!) so onward.

Everyone still keeping you busy with Babes Tropisol? Need to know how that kitchen is coming (though it looked pretty neat as it was last I saw it).

Bins - TY again for your Navidad pics. Now I have yet another request! I think it was around last Xmas (or whatever Xmas you posted the above pics) you also posted a site which I believe was in San Antonio perhaps? that had all manner of neat Mex Xmas stuff. Tin ornaments and paper flowers etc. As I save just about every other darn thing on this thread, you'd a thunk I'd have saved that one but no can find. Do you by any chance recall this of which I speak? I've googled all manner of related search terms coming up with other sites but none as good as this particular one.

Athoele - are ya back from the shopping excursion yet? We're so looking forward to oogling over all your purchases! :-)))

TTYS

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Kim - you might be interested in this site for Xmas decs. You're in New Mex aren't you? Or maybe I'm wrong. I don't think this is the one I'm asking Bins for as I seem to recall a large selection of paper flowers which I don't see here. Anyway this is at least one source for Navidad Decos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casa Noel

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Here's another possibility for Xmas Decs. Where does everyone go?? Haven't seen Tarzy since Mid May though she must get all these messages as she started the thread. Hope all is well Tarzy!

Saw lots of these "Papel Picado" in Mex but - I guess as I was always there after Xmas/Navidad - saw very few of these or anything else for sale. Picked up a few tin ornaments last year but I'm sure with this year's vacation dates, they'll all be history.

Here is a link that might be useful: Papel Picado

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Holly... I LOVE those papel picados!! Are you going to use some? where? How?

Oy...what is WITH all the puter probs??!

Now, what was I going to show you pix of...I cannot remember. The brain is going south...way south!

Binsb.....Lovin' your piece of mexican fiesta christmas!

Now I'm gonna order me some papel picado. Yes siree!

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

So I think I found the site I was asking Bins for. Not so many Xmas Decs but lots of paper flowers, papel picado and like that.

Not sure where I'd use them Trop. LOL!! If I bot the plastic coated ones (rather than the paper) I might string them across the covered front porch somehow?? Paper wouldn't work as they'd be a soggy limp mess here after a day or two. Could use them in the Gazebo on the patio in summer maybe? They seem to use them for any festive occasion in Mex. You seem them hanging in long lines in front of stores. Having never been in anyone's Mex home, I've no idea where they might use them there.

How is your kitchen project coming Trop?

Happy Turkey to you all. :-))

Here is a link that might be useful: Alamo Fiesta

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Feeling like perhaps I'm writing a soliloquy (sp?) here. Where do you all go??

Bins - If As And When - you read this:

You went to San Antonio some time ago and took some great pics, one of which was this home with a super wreath on the front door. It was (I believe) grapevine with bright colorful ribbon streamers on it. Do you recall? I'm wondering if you still have that pic. Of course I was stupid enuf to let that thread (last one maybe?) drift off without downloading the pic. If you still have it sitting about on your 'puter or elsewhere, I'd love to have it again. I promise to keep it this time. :-))

Hope everyone is well. Are ya'll decorating ala Navidad style?

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Hey Holly! (waving frantically) I'm here...just get on way less often these days...life :~0

I know exactly the pic of which(whom?!)you speak. I did save it, and not only that...recreated one for us last year. It was relegated to the back/laundry door...but has been there all year. Quite colorful.

And if I could ever figure out how to post pix here, I'd show ya.Harumph. I cannot stand the picture posting process on this site. I have tried and tried.....don't have too many probs on other sites.

We have a very colorful Christmas thing going, lot's of fushia and turquoise and orange and lime green. Just seems to work best for our house and climate. Put our tree up last night. Eggnog and ceiling fans....Um, kinda miss snow.

What's new in your neck of the hood??

Tell me how you post pics, and I'll give you a dollar. Really.

• aimag
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm brand new. I am in love with this thread! Spanish Revival is my favorite style. I guess I'll have to keep reading until I have something constructive to add to it myself! lol. Until then hope everyone is well.

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Buenos Noches Mas Amigos!

Just a brief hola to you all as I likely won't be contributing to any degree until late Feb. Xmas was a minor disaster as I woke up with a cold Xmas Eve which got steadily worse. I'm just now finally shaking it but the Ketchup is quite incredible!

Welcome to you aimag! Hope you'll stick around awhile as it gets a little quiet on this thread from time to time! :-)) If you come across any great links or neat info, please share.

Trop - I still haven't received your last dollar so I'm not so sure about this but okay - just one more time. This time it's just gonna be a link to someone else's request for same. Hopefully you'll be back to pick it up before it falls down the HD forum tube. :-)) (See Below)
    I'd surely love the pic of that wreath & would love to see the ones you made as well.

Bins?? How are you doing? Do you still read this thread from time to time? Your kinda the resident godmother of the SRM thread so hope you drop in once in awhile. Also hope all is well with you.

Leaving for Zi on Feb 5th and not back until the 21st so you guys need to hold the candle and keep this thread from disappearing! :-))

Whatever did happen to Tarzy?

Hasts Luego
    H

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Posting

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Holly...you ain't gettin' your dollar, girl. Because I STILL don't get it. Maybe I really need to read the whole thing...ya think??!!

Well, Missy, I do hope you enjoy your travels...Jealous.But pitty me, and remind me where ZI is???

Re-did our kitchen, kinda, sorta....I'll show you when you get back.....Hausta Luego.....

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Well Trop you are all the way up the grand total of $3 pesos now. You best start getting it soon or ya'll be really broke. :-)) Yes - reading would likely be good. :-))

Zi is approx 200 miles North of Acapulco in Gro. Beautiful laid back place. Leave Tuesday out of here & Wed out of YVR. One happy camper when I'm on that plane heading south to sunshine and warm temps!

Meantime you can do *the course* in how to post so I can see the pics of the kitchen update on my return :-))"Yup I'll do that Mom, really I will." Right?

Hokay this should keep us good for the two week in case everyone is at rest on another planet. :-))

Hasta LUEGO Trop and all.
    Holly

YAY NYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Oops - wrong EmPHAsis.
    HASTA Luego All,
    Hugs H

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Three pesos?! Ay! I will send it by boat....soon.

I sure hope you are enjoying your shrimp in
    "Z" Missy!!!

Jealous??? I would say, YES!!
    Big yes!

Bring back a Milagro cross for me...wouldja???

In the meantime I will study your photo postin' instructions very carefully!!Uh huh...

• B H
    16 years ago

Greetings, all! Sorry I've been completely MIA.

I am about 24 days from delivering the twins...but could be earlier. Our little boy is head down, pounding on my cervix and I think his sister is pressuring him from above. I keep telling them "Stop knocking...you're not coming out that way!" I'm currently on home bedrest after a week-long stay at the hospital for a shortened cervix. Both babies seem to be doing well - very active!

We sold our little Spanish casa *sob* to move a bit further north into a bigger house. Yep...we are now in a late 70s track house. BLECH...but it has tons of potential. I think its saving grace (besides having so much more room) is that there is an entry courtyard that you just know will be fun to work with....eventually.

There is absolutely nothing in the house that lends itself to Spanish/Mexican flair...but I will find a way! In fact, the nursery is painted in Mango Madness and Peach Butter - yes...it's orange! I attached Mexican paper flowers to the curtain rod and will be using different Mexican wall hangings (just little things) for a bit of that flavor. It's going to a colorful, eclectic nursery. I hope the babies can sleep!

Holly - my laptop crashed last summer & I lost all those great pics from San Antonio. If I find anything of the sort (the wreathe pics), I will post.

Trop - pics? Kitchen? Where?

Miss you all and posting here!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Hey Binsb...HOW excitin'! Tell those little binsbies to hold out for another few weeks. Rest up, push the protein. I am sooo over the moon for you. BIG HUGS. The room looks colorful and will be enchanting with your paper flowers!

I lost my pics too, with a crash. Kitchen is not span med, more eclectic... bit of everything on sale! I'll get some pix for ya.

• houseful
    16 years ago

BINSB(D)! CONGRATULATIONS!! I haven't posted or even read this forum since, well, I can't even remember. Now that we are ready to tackle a pretty large remodel, I am back reading this forum and what wonderful news to come back to. I wish you all the best. The nursey looks fabulous and so do your Christmas decorations.

As I said, we are ready to tackle this house from top to bottom and get it finished once and for all. We are building a detached garage and connecting it to the house with a courtyard. That's going to be fun to decorate. We may even build a real bell tower (is that what it's called?) like you find on Spanish missions. We'll be doing the inside as well so hopefully I can contribute more to this thread as I find cool pictures on the web. I do have one link that is absolutely amazing to browse. Of course, it's infinitely more grand than anything I'm doing, but it sure is fun to dream, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jauregui architect

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

BinsB How GREAT! I'd guess by now the 'kids' are knocking from the outside - yes? Paleese post a pic if you can. We'd all (I'm sure) love to see your accomplishments :-))) after waiting soooo long.
    Love the orange colors of the nursery but mmm - are they really going to sleep in one crib? :-)) Just kidding. When you have time, which likely won't be for awhile I'm sure, would love to see the nursery with the paper flowers, et al.

Not to worry about the non-span house of present. It's the spirit inside that can carry it thru. Imagine what a tough time I have in my location. LOL!! You'll have lotsa fun (when/if you can find the time) doing some special stuff in your new abode.

Trop - hmmm pictures this year? LOL! That will be fun to see. I'll look forward (but won't hold my breath too awfully long). :-))) I'm thinking maybe you just eliminated the kitchen altogether and are doing take out now?

Houseful it's great to have you posting again. Perhaps you can help us breathe some life back into this thread as I know Bins is going to be rather busy over the next while. :-)) If it weren't for her dedication, I'm sure this thread would no longer exist. I have a few things on my plate but hopefully they will be resolved shortly and I can return to my decorating love.

And speaking of thread(s), I didn't check but I'm thinking we must be getting close to limit - yes? Should we be starting a new thread? Waddya all think?

Take care all,
    Holly

• kats
    16 years ago

yes.....with lots of pictures for the newbies!

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

See Trop ?? --- The folks want to see your PICTURES. :-))

Okay Kats, I hear you and understand. Thanks to Houseful for her link. Lord knows I have a multimillion projects - some of which I cannot afford to do and others which I don't have the (non $$) resources to obtain what I need for the *project in my head*.

Perhaps I'll put up some 'ideas ' I have for various rooms and then maybe others will way in.

Hasta Luego
    H

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

After I posted this last message, I looked and saw (what excellent command of the English language I have!) that we are at 148 posts. Now I'm confused. Don't they cut off at 100 ??? Maybe we don't need to start a new thread, although it takes some scrolling to get to the newer post on this one. You folks tell me what you think.

Hasta / H

• cyn10
    16 years ago

I think it would be great if you would start a new thread. The current one started over a year ago, and if we are going to be seeing some new pictures soon (I hope) it would be nice not to scroll. I always enjoy seeing what you are up to. Thanks.