Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romy718

Need help with dining room paint color

romy718
10 years ago

We closed a doorway between our dining room & kitchen for our kitchen reno. The wallpaper is going and I need help deciding on a paint color. We plan to paint the crown molding white to match the window trim & baseboards. We also replaced our light oak floors with walnut. With the darker wood floor and our upholstered black chairs & predominantly black rug, I'm not sure which direction to go. Drapes are a gold shantung silk. Do I paint a rich gold/camel tone or go lighter? I've never been in love with the wallpaper & have no desire to go in that color direction. I'll post more pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (16)

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only pics I have of my dining room are from Christmas. In this pic, my table has 2 leaves in, but it is 72" round. The rug is predominantly black with gold/beige.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 14:01

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the window wall opposite the closed off wall. I'd love to replace the dated window treatment but can't right now. Maybe I can remove the swags & sheers and keep the side panels. Or replace with other side panels when we recover financially from the kitchen reno. We'll be painting the gold crown molding white & repainting the ceiling as it has a gold Greek Key design.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are the new floors. Maybe we shouldn't cover them up with the black rug? The rug is 11' x 11' square under the round table.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the opening from the foyer into the dining room. The foyer paint continues into our 2 story living room. Repainting the foyer & living room is not going to happen so I need to find a color that works with the foyer color.
    These are the old floors. The columns are painted to look like marble. They look better IRL than they look here but painting them white is an option.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

I really like the green background color in your wallpaper -- can you find a paint that color? It also looks good with the foyer color, at least on my monitor.

Yes, get rid of the swags and sheers. You may find that this is enough to update the look, and the gold ties in with the foyer. Use some artwork that brings in the blue from the upholstery.

I would not use the rug again. The floors are beautiful on their own. The rug also introduces black, which you do not have anywhere else in the room. If you find you want a rug later, look for something that has the gold, green, and blue.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Chibimimi. Yes, those swags need to go. My chairs are black, not blue. Once the wall paper is gone, the only color I will have is the gold drapes, black upholstered chair, black & gold rug and wood tones in the furniture. The pictures have green, beige, burgundy. I think I'd like to stay neutral with the wall color. My drapes are slightly lighter than BM Tyler Taupe HC 43 & darker than Lenox Tan HC 44. Do I want to go in those richer tones or go lighter?
    I wish I had a pic of my table. It is currently buried in the LR with all the other furniture from the first floor.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Pretty room! I like the ceiling with the key...I'd leave it and I'd keep the rug. I agree that removing the valance will give a lighter look.

How about black, gold, brown (in the floor and furnishings) with light gray/silver?

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Wow, the chairs look slate blue on my monitor! Black makes much more sense.

How would another gold/beige look with your foyer? I'm afraid they might not do well together, unless the darker color in the foyer glaze would work well in the dining room with the curtains -- that would be a nice transition.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I would keep the greek key pattern on the ceiling for the time being. How about a warm grey with a bit of gold undertone for a wall color?

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is BM Pashmina AF 100. It is described as very gray with warm undertones. I don't know if this color would work for me but it is beautiful in this room. I like the idea of a warm gray that would work with black, gold & brown. I think I need some contrast with the foyer. DH doesn't know it yet, but I think changing the light fixture might also lighten the look of the room. If anyone has a warm gray suggestion (or any color suggestions) bring it on.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Possible color?

Agree with keeping the greek key for the ceiling -- works well with your dining décor!

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Adams Gold HC-18

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I would go with a lighter version of your drapes or the gold/tan in your rug. If those don't work than a soft, light gray could also be pretty. You'll just have to paint sample boards once you narrow a few picks down and see which one looks best in your light.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help. My first inclination was to do either a lighter or darker version of the gold but then I thought maybe I need some contrast with the foyer. I do want to lighten the overall look of the room. The drapes are heavy, the light fixtures are heavy and my chairs & rug are black. I see a new chandelier in the future. I love my table so at least I'm not wishing I had different furniture (except lighter upholstery on the chairs). I have a beautiful new kitchen so I'm going to try to make this work. I don't want DH to have to work until he is 80.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think a gold/tan color that is similar to the curtains might look great! if you try the pashmina, be sure to look at it in all different light/times of day--- it definitely had a pink undertone on the samples on my walls. (a deepish purple might look nice with the black and gold too... tho would be alot less traditional!)
    removing the sheer panels might update your window without having to remove the valance... and allowing the side panels to fall straight might also help the treatments look less dated... i don't think removing the valance will give you a look you like...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I really like that inspiration picture; of course, chairs are light and no dark rug. But love annie's design seed.

• catkin
    10 years ago

I think you've already figured it out!

Go with Pashmina, paint your moulding, lose the swags, keep the key--it's classic --and keep the rug.

If you don't need the brightness, maybe change your chandelier shades to black--keeping the brass light fixture, which will look great with your new wall color!

Keep us posted!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting