Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Follow up to "What makes busy curtains work" thread

I finished the rainbow curtains for the small bedroom-turned- play/exercise/craft/homework room (about 10 x 10). They aren't perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the element of fun they add -- especially given the large expanse of medium brown Billy bookcases we added for storage.

Here are the curtains from my original post:

And here are in action (looking into the room from the doorway):

Closed, a closer shot:

Right now they look a little like highwaters LOL!

One change that's coming in the next several months is that I'm getting a desk my boys can share -- it's almost exactly the same footprint as the little tea table currently under the window (you can see a corner of it at the lower right of the pic).

I plan to paint it the same blue to match the walls (it needs paint, currently painted brown and chipping). It will fit right under the window, but still leave room for my exercise bike and ball. All their legos are stored under that table, so they will re-locate to the closet (not shown, it's on the wall to the right of the window).

The desk will come up close to the window trim, so I need to move their artwork. I'd like it to flank either side of the window but I have not been able to figure out how to manage it. Right now it's yarn hanging on Command hooks with clothespins to hold the pics :-D

Here are the Billy bookcases with DH's things on top:

And the door into the room:

I'd like to put a few more colored frames around the doorway, and maybe also over the frog. Below the frog pic are their hanging pockets where all the schoolwork/papers is stored.

Anyway, whether or not these curtains "work", I like the atmosphere in the room much better now, and my boys were both happy with the bright colors. My DH is happy I have finished a project ;-)

Edit -- anyone have ideas or suggestions on something (preferably simple DIY) that can hold child-interchangeable-friendly artwork? One idea I had was to just attach clothespins directly to the wall somehow, maybe with hot glue. Would that be really dumb? Or maybe I could use the Command hook adhesive squares...

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 15:06

Comments (10)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Ideas for hanging pictures

Pants hangers
    {{!gwi}}

Clipboards
    {{!gwi}}

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What a cute play/homework/crafts room!
    You could also hang a magnetic board and then just use magnets for art work.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Or magnetic paint.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the ideas on the artwork! Leaning toward clipboards AND magnets! My DH is willing to help, but he doesn't want to re-do the work so I have to get it right the first time ;-)

nosoccermom, thank you for the compliment :-) I guess it's not typical of the rooms here on DF, but our home is so small we need multi-use space. I'm so glad to have my exercise bike out of my bedroom and the exercise ball out of the living room!!!

What else could I do to tie everything together?

There is no room for any additional furniture. The closet is main computer central, with the NAS and most of DH's main computer stuff...and some toys. The Billy bookcases have board/card games, toys, arts & crafts supplies, and most of our books.

We're looking at maybe new flooring in the next year or two, wood or bamboo, for the living room, entry, hallway, this room and possibly even our bedrooms. After boys, pets, and 13-year old low quality carpet, the time is approaching!

As far as paint color for the desk my boys are getting, I keep thinking due to the small space, painting it blue to match the walls is the best choice. Or should I paint it something bright that stands out, to tie in more with the curtains?

Maybe the best bet is to get a picture of the desk and do some mock-ups. I know for the tea-table, it's actually black with a detailed pond/fish picture on the top. I found it waaaay too distracting so I made the muslin fitted cover.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I personally would paint it a bright color --- and if they agree on one, would let your boys pick it. Fire engine red, navy, whatever. It's only paint, but they may have more of a stake in it if you involve them.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll ask them what color they would like -- thanks for the suggestion! It will be their desk, after all. I still have a lot of paint left from painting their beds the charcoal-navy-blue (BM Mysterious)...I know they like that color so maybe I'll offer that as an option too. Would it be weird to have beds that match the desk in a separate room?

• roarah
    9 years ago

Your room makes me smile!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I don't think it would be weird to have the desk in the same color as the beds in another room. It's a great color!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Roarah -- thanks :-) I think the boys are really happy too. This morning they were looking in, the lights were off, but the sunlight was coming through their rainbow curtains and they commented how pretty it looked.

I really want this to be a space they like to be in. My 9 yo was in there with me, early this morning, stretching and doing a bit of exercise. It's just a small bedroom, I'm amazed how functional it has become.

nosoccermom -- after discussing options w/the boys, they both like the idea of painting the desk to match their beds. I do like the color, and it will probably be a good balance to the darker Billy bookcases.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It sounds like everybody is on board, then. Wishing you and your boyss many enjoyable and productive times in this room!