Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

8 foot faux window blinds

aloha2009
10 years ago

I'm finding it very difficult to find even a manufacturer that makes a blind this wide.

I'm fully aware that this would be an extremely heavy blind and sagging is a potential and I wanted to know how it has worked for others.

The window would be 8' x 5'. We'd very rarely move it up and down since the view is just the front street.

If you've ever had a faux blind this wide (dismissing the super cheap 1" vinyl blinds from yesteryear) did you have sagging.

Comments (13)

• User
    10 years ago

You do 2 4' ones and hide the top with a continuous valance. I don't know of anyone who makes what you're asking about, even custom. If they did, they wouldn't warrant it.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I made a roller shade using an 8' length of closet dowling and upholstery fabric. I sewed the edges of the fabric, but you could use a hot glue gun or Aileen's fabric glue. It was a little time consuming, but worked quite well and was prettier than anything I could have purchased.

If you want more info I could send you an email with directions.

I also thought of using two blinds/shades but didn't think I would like the way it looked. One continuous blind/shade looks much neater.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You're right when you mention the weight and that's why you're not finding them. One mechanism could not carry that kind of weight.
    Can you share a photo of your window please? Is it one huge picture window or two or more windows together?

• always1stepbehind
    10 years ago

I have two 93in wide windows in my condo. One in the living room and one in the master. I ordered faux wood blinds from Just Blinds website. I had the blinds split in 3 sections but on one header.

My window has two sliding windows flanking one fixed area in the middle. I had the blinds split to line up with the window sections...does that make sense? You can sorta see where the blinds are split..each section has it's own cord/wand so you open/close each section separately.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I went to the website where I bought my blinds....blindsgalore.com.....they have 96"X60" blinds. Not sure if they are what you want...but I can vouch for the fact that they have excellent customer service. You might want to call before placing an order to address the sagging issue. They are having 33% off until Monday. When you reach the page Ive linked it below I had already put in 96X60--the prices run from $163-$229 depending on the style..smooth/flat, etc..Hope you find something!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blinds

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Wow that's amazing Joanie. I had trouble finding 72 inch ones awhile back. I guess I should have realized that.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Oops...actually the prices run from $163-357....I didn't scroll down to see they had more. The less expensive ones are their brand, the higher ones are Bali, Graber and Comfortex. I bought their brand for my LR and FR and am very happy.....I screwed up the order and they patiently worked with me to fix it.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Just dawned on me too....they may split the blinds up as well...I didnt really check that....if you go with them, I would definitely call first to make sure it is one blind and to see about the sagging. Good luck!

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for ALL the guidance. I started a response on Friday but 2 visitors later and painting our bedroom (not the room/window I was referring to), I wasn't able to get back.

I've been able to find some online but I'm concerned about it sagging. When I checked before there was no guarantee for 8' blinds. Unless someone knows of a place that does. That's why I wanted to know what others real life experiences were.

Patty Cakes - Thanks for the offer of the directions but my heart is really set on the blinds.

Always1stepbehind - mine is the same configuration. Though we don't anticipate moving the blinds up and down but a few times per year, splitting it into 3 is a consideration. This way when we do open them up, we can leave the 4' on alone. We were concerned about ensuring the slats match up. How are yours when open?

Does any place not charge a premium to send the 8'? A $70 surcharge was tacked on for the extra length...ouch.

• always1stepbehind
    10 years ago

The slats line up fine. I rarely raise the blinds. Just turn the blinds up or down for light...That is an old picture, but I have panels on each side that cover the end blind sections.

When you say concerned about sagging...do you mean the slats or the header attached to the window sill? I haven't had any issues with either sagging..

• still_lynnski
    10 years ago

Many years ago I got faux wood blinds from $mith & Noble in that size. Fortunately they stand behind their products, because they sagged like crazy, to the point where they couldn't even be operated.

More recently, I got faux wood binds from the big O that were 54" wide. They also sagged. Immediately.

I think faux wood and wide windows is just not a workable combination for blinds. Even with a warranty, it's not gonna work and it's not worth the hassle.

• mjlb
    10 years ago

I have 8-ft wide wooden venetian blinds from Hunter Douglas. Was not the greatest idea, due to the strength needed to raise and lower (something we only do in the winter). But even with the ridiculous amount of weight, they've not sagged in 15 years. However, I can't wait to change them!

• localeater
    10 years ago

Aloha, check to see if you have a BudgetBlinds franchise in your area. We have one in mine and they are great. You get to work with someone locally, the prices are very comparable to online because they know they are competing. They measure, install, stand behind their product.
    When I bought my house the previous owner had installed faux wood blinds from BudgetBlinds, I broke one and they came and fixed. When I wanted to add remote control skylight shades they really made the process easy. It was an expensize purchase and I am a very diligent researcher so I ask innumerable questions. I have since used them for solar shades and wood valances in the kitchen- another awesome job. Next up is romans for the den!