Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Need help with my kitchen color scheme

cplover
9 years ago

So I started my kitchen remodel almost 4 years ago. YIKES! I finished with the major stuff, then found out I was pregnant with my first child and now, he is 2.5 and the finishing stuff is still undone.

The floors are an orangey oak (that match the original floors in my 1957 ranch). BM simply white cabinets, stainless appliances, black soapstone counters with white veins and a carrara marble hexagon backsplash. We have a built-in banquette that is also the same white as the cabinets with a round med-dark oak pedestal table. The only color in the room is the BM Gray Wisp wall color.

Problem is that I am not sure if Gray Wisp is the right color for the space. It could be that there is not enough other stuff in the room so all of my focus in the wall color. I like the color, just not sure I love it in the kitchen. I think I would like it more if it was in the bathroom, or bedroom. It is relaxing but perhaps a bit too cool. However, I am not sure what color I would paint, if I would repaint? For sure something warmer, but what?

The items I still need to pick out to finish this kitchen are two backless non-spinning counter stools, material for the banquette cushion and pillows, two chairs, art for above the banquette, and possibly a new rug to go under the table.

I am not sure where to start. I was thinking a neutral (of course) for the bench cushion and maybe color/patterned pillows. For chairs maybe Hendriksdal chairs with medium oak legs (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09874120/).

As a side, my house is home to me, my hubby and our 2.5 year old. We want it to be comfortable and warm. I like color, but LOVE texture. I normally go to neutrals, because I feel like I have color commitment issues. Any advice would be appreciated. I feel like I am in huge rut and want to get this kitchen DONE!!!!

Thank you all in advance!!! I know this was a long read!
PHOTOS:

This post was edited by newbieremodeler on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 13:46

Comments (20)

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I wouldn't change the paint, which I happen to think is lovely. I'd add some textiles and/or art. What is your favorite color? You can anything from orange, to turquoise, to red (taking a cue from your KithenAid mixer). You could also add a bowl or other pretties on the counter to bring in some color.

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bestyears. What color material would you choose for the bench? Brown? Gray? Oatmeal? I am oh so confused!!

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do like teal/peacock blue, cranberry (the color of the mixer), aloe green, charcoal, gray.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

How about a medium gray for the bench seat, and print pillows in a fabric that picks up the pale blue, some red, and maybe a splash of teal too? From a quick glance at fabricguru.com, here's a gray stripe with red and teal -- link below.

Then add a colorful rug for under the table, if you feel you need a rug.

Finally, bring more warm colors in with the artwork you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

...and here's a fun, colorful rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sueb20- the rug and fabric are cute-- but I am not sure if I will like that much color. But that fabric & rug, do have me thinking outside my box. Thanks!

• bestyears
    9 years ago

LOVE that rug Sueb20 picked out! But you could do more sedate too. I think you should think of the textiles as a bit temporary. You don't have to keep them forever like countertops, flooring, etc. So if you're tired of them in 2 years, no biggie. There are kind of two issues here I think. One is color the other is pattern.

You could even add something as simple as this table runner just to see how you feel about color. Add a bouquet of flowers on the counter...

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the rug, just wondering if it has too much pink it in. And you arer right, rugs are cheaper, so much less of a commitment.

Cannot believe I posted two of the same photos. Was supposed to post this one.

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is so pretty! Love the soapstone and the wall color. I think you could pick almost any accent color and it would look great! Red is such a pop and would look wonderful with this combination. My kitchen remodel has been done since '08 and I would still like to add some accents to really make it sparkle.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Can you show us pictures of the parts of your house you are happy with? That will give us a better idea of your goal here.

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OH bestyears you made me laugh out loud!!! There is no room I can show you other than that of 2 year old son. My living room is also a work in progress with 2 club chairs that need to be reupholstered (awesome craigslist find, where their cat destroyed the fabric on the arms with it claws). The only element in that room which is staying is a West Elm Henry Sofa in Otter performance velvet. The master bedroom is third on the to do list, It is painted in a light grayish blue with a cherry rice carved four-poster bed that we received from my husband's grandfather. The plan with that room is to do all shades of blue, with maybe that french toille or chinoise blue fabric.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. I agree with those who recommend added some color/pattern in the cushions/pillows - and other items that are easily changeable when you want to update your look.

Ideally it would be nice to pull them from other rooms - but as you point out, you don't really have other finished rooms. Another place to look is your closet - what colors do you and your DH love to wear. What you really could use is something to help draw your inspiration - could be a carpet, art work or even a piece of fabric that you don't even use in the house, but pull colors out of. What colors make your heart sing - that's what you need in your kitchen to add personality.

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Skypathway! We both really like blues, greens, grays, cream, oatmeal, charcoal, and browns. I like pops of red, cranberry, purple. I I guess earth tones and jewel tones. The colors I am not a fan of would be pinks, peach, neon or super bright colors,

I even took a silly quiz on colors and this was my result: http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/decorating/paint-color-ideas-eco-enthusiast?a=0amp;b=0amp;c=0amp;d=0amp;v=a&x=39&y=32

LOL. It is pretty accurate!

I do want the room to feel warm and cozy and for the colors to flow over/compliment the living room since the rooms are open to each other.

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone think I should ditch the wall color??

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

It is a good color, but everything is sooo neutral -- pretty, but too neutral for me. I would paint the walls along the lines of a soft blue, blue-green, green-gray, or sage -- something not loud or strong but a distinctly a color. To me, that would be easier than trying to decide on a fabric especially if I were kind of afraid to commit to a color or pattern. For example, my walls are painted Valspar Ante Meridian and I also have small pops of red and blue in some pottery and glass on the counter and windowsill.

Instead of changing the paint, (because that paint color might be what flows best with what you want to do in the rest of the house) the suggestions to use color in fabric, rug and art are excellent. Your current paint would be a good background for many colors as vwhippiechick said. They don't have to be bright colors, unless that is what strikes your fancy!

Target and other places have inexpensive rugs similar to your current one but in colors like red and aqua (a currently hot color that I am loving) There are also many places like Target, Pier One, World Market, Kohls, Homegoods and dozens more online where you can browse for wall art and pillows until you find something that really lights up your eyes. I would recommend that you take some time to do that -- just browse and look for a color, pattern or piece of wall art that really strikes a chord with you and use that as your starting point.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Really pretty kitchen - just needs a little personality.
    Pick your artwork. I'd pick something large and colorful.
    This would set the tone of your kitchen and give you a place to start.

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! The wall color is a blueish/greenish gray. It is does not read gray the vast majority of the time. Only very early in the morning before the sun comes up. The windows in the kitchen/eating area all face east. The wall color (which does not show great in the photos) is much more a color, I would say it lends itself towards a light aqua. Great idea to look for pillows online! I have been combing online fabric stores for an inspiration material to make pillows! Much better idea!!

Thanks all!! :) I will post more when I find something that inspires! PS Hubby is very glad ya'll like the wall color. The idea of repainting made him very grumpy! Lol! :)

• ccornish72
    9 years ago

BM Gray Wisp--that's one of my favorite colors. I painted the living room in one of my previous homes Gray Wisp. You really can't go wrong with it.

You're doing what I did and leaving things a little too neutral. Because it has a lot of green, I think accent colors involving rust colors or some red patterns, floral or paisley would look very pretty. Red toile looks good with it, it may not be your taste but you get the idea.

An orchid color, or a blue-purple would look really pretty as an accent as well.

BM Gray wisp is very close to the Restoration Hardware Silver Sage and that color was very popular.

In all my past homes I've usually painted a room some version of this color and I always got compliments. Its what I use instead of beige.

Good pick.

• cplover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like this piece of art too. I like the whimsiness of it and the colors.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/framed-print-wall-art-paris/?pkey=call-art&;

This post was edited by newbieremodeler on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 13:44