Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Why Few Bench Seat Tight Back Sofas?

I have two twenty year old chippendale sofas with the usual tight back and bench seat. They are comfortable, though not truly nap worthy. I like their one long cushioned seats. I'm growing tired of our (typical) six cushioned, comfy sofa in the family room. The cushions need straightening (dogs and kids ), and *dealing with slipcovers is a pain, though only an occasional chore. I'm remembering the wonderful tuxedo sofa we had years ago: tight tufted back and bench seat. Only the toss pillows to tidy up, and very comfy. I'm seeing a return of this style, but I'm wanting an English arm and smooth vs. tufted back. I'm not asking help finding it....yet :-) and may look into the possibility of reupholstering this one in that style. I'm simply wondering why this style isn't more prevalent. It's so practical: no cracks between cushions, tweaking of same, cheaper to reupholster/ slipcover. I mainly see smooth tight backs with two seat cushions, which don't readily invite three to sit. Have not been on a serious hunt, but just am noticing the void. Thoughts?

* Live and learn: when buying a sofa you plan to slipcover in cotton, choose a smoother/ slicker fabric for the sofa . It will make dressing and the reverse much easier.

Comments (14)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I agree that tight back with one cushion is the best! It is my favorite, but not easy to find. Those are what I grew up with, so I suppose that is why I prefer them. Interesting about the cushion on yours, Tibb. I will keep that in mind if I ever replace ours which has a tight back, but two cushions. Sister got the antique tightback, one cushion camelback sofa. :(

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

The bench cushion is the hardest part to find.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 11:28

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

athomeinva, that is also something I love about the Olivier, the back is not only so comfortable, but it's high enough that you can rest your head. The back is a perfect pitch.

One reason I ultimately chose the Hickory Chair (Lee was a top contender) is because they're the only ones I could find with a seat height of 21+ inches. Most were 18 - 19", and I don't like feeing like I'm sitting on the floor, with my knees in my face! I'm sure there are others, but the only ones I could find with 21" or higher seats was Hickory Chair.

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

As for why it is hard to find a bench cushion, that is a good question. I looked at a bunch of vintage sofas, because I love the look of the old Chippendales, and many had bench cushions but most were smaller overall seat size so the cushion did not have to be massive. The popularity of larger sofas may be the biggest factor in divided seat cushions. The overall size of our sofa is 87w x 41d, with an interior seat width of 68 inches, so moderate by today's sofa size, and the seat cushion is heavy, even the delivery guy commented on it. Plus, I think that the fill is usually more substantial than a lot of the older sofas, making a large bench cushion much too heavy for typical manufacturing and use.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

I sold my late father's Hickory sofa for $100 on Craig's List. Nobody seems to appreciate or want this style furniture. This pic was taken in my dad's assisted living apartment, where he lived for nine years. He rarely used the sofa, but it was SO comfortable for guests and got lots of use. At the end of his life I slept there many nights. The down cushion was extremely comfortable.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

They are too formal for most people and they can't flip or rotate cushions. That means they wear unevenly and the seat cushion will tend to sink or indent where people habitually sit. A poorly fabricated bench cushion cover will "roll" on the cushion leaving the welt askew. These are the objections I hear. I agree or disagree depending upon the quality of the sofa.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Southern Furniture has a number of bench seat sofas & I believe bench seat is an option they offer on some of their other style sofas. They are a mid range manufacturer of very good quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Furniture

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Bonnieann, I would have loved to find that sofa! Wow. Much like my parents' couch. Wonder if the person you sold it to would want to sell it...

:)

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Cyn, it was a situation where I just wanted to sell it. I lowered the price twice. The woman who bought it could not stuff the cash in my hand fast enough! I want to think it went to a good home. I know it is in Cambridge, MA and I envision it in a stately home on Brattle Street. Who really knows?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Lovely! I bet she is thrilled.

Pal, our cushion held up fine for over 30 years in my mother's home (edited to add: after being recovered in 1975 and it was fine before that in my grandparents home). I suppose it could be a quality thing, but if so, I find that is true of everything-two or three cushion, clothing, whatever. Buy quality and you will be rewarded. Also, the cushion can be flipped if need be, but I doubt my mother ever did. The bottom did not fade as did the rest of the fabric over all those years.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 20:37

• sundownr
    9 years ago

I have no idea of the quality of these but I have this one bookmarked. http://www.rogerandchris.com/product/101/basel-english-sofa
    Roger did that TV show on HGTV.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

When we redecorated our living room last year I had the Sanctuary sofa chosen. I loved the tufted back and rolled arms and the best part was the bench seat. We traveled two hours to a furniture store that had it in stock. I wanted DH to sit on it to make sure it was comfortable for him. When we got there my DH spied a sofa he just had to have. It is a two cushion seat and much less practical as he sits on the sofa all the time and he always sits smack dab in the center of the sofa. It's H&M and is a good quality but I wonder if it will wear well? It is fine so far but it's only about 14 months old.

Here is a link that might be useful: loved this!

• marwaggy
    8 years ago

Can someone tell me who makes this one? It's from May 2015 issue of This Old House magazine. It's in the Abbey Carpet ad. I really want to buy this sofa.